Windows7 help

jojo

Looking for Boost!
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
Anyone got any ideas on how to get round this problem? I have a laptop with 320gb hd, and when I loaded up Windows, it partitioned the drive to C:OS and D:Data, it's pretty much 50:50 split for both partition, but I keep getting 'low disk space warning', and it's the D:data bit that's the problem. The laptop is trying to backup it's files, and 160mb isn't enough space, despite not having much on the hd in the first place??

Anyone know how I can expand the D:data bit?

How much disk space do you actually have left of the data drive?

you can re-partition your drives to make D: a bit bigger, there are lots of free disk partioning software products avaiblable to download that can do this, or you can do it manually but it's a bit of hassle if you're not sure what you're doing.

How much disk space do you actually have left of the data drive?

When I move the cursor over d:, it says Freespace 2.68MB, total 134GB lol

you can re-partition your drives to make D: a bit bigger, there are lots of free disk partioning software products avaiblable to download that can do this, or you can do it manually but it's a bit of hassle if you're not sure what you're doing.

This sounds like what I need to do, I'm comfortable with doing things on my laptop, but I've obviously not done this before.

Win 7 can do this without any 3rd party programs go to control panel then administative tools then computer management then Storage it will allow you to manage the size of your partitions.

Win 7 can do this without any 3rd party programs go to control panel then administative tools then computer management then Storage it will allow you to manage the size of your partitions.

OK, this is what I wanted to here, so in my attempt to do it, I could reduce the the size of C:, but it won't let me allocate the extra diskspace to D:, how frustrating! lol

Have you restarted after making C smaller, this sometimes needs doing to make disc fully recognise the changes, there are various tools out there mate some free aswell to achieve this.

Have you restarted after making C smaller, this sometimes needs doing to make disc fully recognise the changes, there are various tools out there mate some free aswell to achieve this.

Yes Nige, I rebooted, and the D: just won't let me click on the extend disk space button..... Windows 7, not my frikin idea. :uhm:

OK mate u got an external drive of at least 160GB, if so, move all ur files to this of D, then delete D, restart, create a new partition which will allow the extra space to be used, now this is the free option, there are possibly command line options, but without being patronising, this route isnt your bag, no offense you understand, so a software approach would be best, but the option suggested will work for sure.

Alternatively check this tool:

Best FREE Partition Manager Freeware for Windows 2000/XP/Vista/Windows 7. EASEUS free Partition Manager Software Home Edition.

It says its freeware & cant see any limitations mate, give it a go.

Last edited:
Decided to do a system restore to last month to see if it makes a difference, why does windows insist I install the latest version of windows Live which slows down and crashes all the time, it's classed as a 'critical' update, and really doing my head in, and why does it insist on backing up the files with every update killing my hd space?

Finally found out how to delete these backup files, there's nothing important on this laptop anyways, so wiped them all off and only free'd 38GB, but I don't have the low disk space warning anymore.

System restore is a last resort tbh mate, can cause more issues than fixes, you just needed to do as suggested & tbh once that space is used up then what will you do next, get yourself an external usb drive that are upto 2TB now or a NAS for all your storage needs, NAS is better using a RAID as I have for years, havnt lost any files since started using NAS units fella & we're talking 1-2TB these days.

making the c drive partition smaller (shrinking) is almost impossible to do within windows as system files are often found at the end of the partition.

you can download ubuntu (as OS that is bottable via CD) and use the partition tool Gparted to resize the partions, but make a backup first.

never understood why people setup different partitions, waste of time unless you are running 2 OS's

He made it smaller if you read the thread fully mate, just either windows or disc hasnt unlocked/unallocated the space properly for reuse somewhere else.

Also its not a waste of time at all, it is handy to have your important files seperate to your OS partition incase of corruption, thus you dont lose those files, you can with tools like in xp, tweakUI, remap your my documents folder to another location like the other partition, as can be done with active directory iirc, thus all your default file storage folders arent on the OS partition, done this for many clients before to help them 1st have file safety as such & 2nd its a free tweak as such, so costs very little apart from the time to setup, as most smb's dont realistically need windows server setups, just a workgroup & also incase of utilising backup software eg. acronis true image, then you could image the OS to the 2nd partition if need be although I try to steer towards usb backup drives & network storage for these systems.

we'll have to argree to disagree lol - keeping data on a seperate partition from the OS offers no extra security on the data.... if anything it causes space problems and people often have to resize etc

if the disk becomes "currupt" at the disk level, it wouldnt matter what partition the data was on anyways..... if the data becomes "corrupt" on the partition side of things, you've got just as much chance loosing the data partition as you have the system partition

i have a 1.8tb logical volume (biggest you can boot from) on a 4 disk raid 0........ :0P

rememeber, hard drives work quickest at the beginging of the drive, putting your data on a seperate partition means you are putting the data closer to the end of the drive which means more arm movement and seeking....

All I can say is, I don't have any of these problems running XP, skipped Vista altogether(thankfully), didn't take me long to get use to it, but it's got all these auto features that do my head in. My new Laptop is not even 6 months old, so I don't think it's not upto the job of running Windows7.

Can't wait to own my first TB hd, one for the future! lol