LAPTOP REPAIRS

johnnythepie

Reaction score
Any advice available or recommendations coventry/b'ham area please??Before I try and DIY!!!

What's wrong with your laptop?
Can you tell if it's a hardware or software problem?

If hardware and you don't know what you're doing then I agree, seek help.
If it's software then deffo DIY, and as a last resort blat it and reinstall operating system.

Its hardware.Screen black, hard drive whirring but no light showing its being accessed.No output via vga either.Hard dive definately A1

true, but its a sony s5/vp, and i dont want to spend 1200+ on an equivalent.Plus I dont want vista or 7, or an emulated version of xp!Too many programs that wont run

Use to be a place on Stratford Road, Shirley who did Laptop repairs John, they fixed my Sony Viao in the past, but I don't know where they are based now. Number was 01217444444 if you want to give them a try.

See if you can get some differnt ram. or if it has 2 modules remove one and see if you et any results.

Sometimes if you take out both and try to start it up it will keep beeping which is a good sign that the motherboard is OK.

Other than that it could be the processor or motherboard but they are not so easy to fix.

Hi Steve.Thanks for that.Done the ram, its the same.When it turns on, i get the faintest flash of the hard drive light, and no beeps!!.Good point about the processor...i have a spare and its tomorrows project.If it aint that then im ******** i reckon.A new mobo would be about 300 squid if i could get one.

I reckon its got a sock stuck in the cpu fan Jonny

Socks aside, sounds like mobo to me mate if its not posting & memory no effect, cpu's hardly ever go wrong in laptops tbh & desktops these days, repaired a few laptops in my time & never had to change cpu, fun job

Scan ebay for mobo/cpu, I'd go with mobo 1st, just make sure you get the right board, cause even same models have different generation boards that do differ slightly in possibly chipsets aswell, can be a minefield, but removal of existing board should show the part number you need no problem.

Hello Nige,
Sock is on hold at the mo, just got disturbed by the postie delivering a parcel.Hate answering the door with a boner unless its the jehovahs.They dont like it!!
I pestered the seller and it turns out that he had ' cleaned' the cpu fan as it was dusty, the cpu cooler, and replaced the cooler with no paste.I guess hes ******** it up somewhere along the way, im replacing the cpu today in case its knackered failing that its a chuck.Getting the right mobo will be a nightmare cost wise.Theres one on ebay at the mo but its untested with only a model number.Hey ho.

it should have a fail safe so if it was on there with no paste it would come on for maybe 20 sec then turn off and not do anything for a few hours while it cools down. So you shouldn't have fried the chip because of that.

if you have no joy with a new chip take the hard drive out and sell the laptop as broken on ebay as the screen alone is worth a good £70+

Tried the new chip, still the same.Dont even know if the screen works! Ive just bought a mobo on ebay for 20 holes...its untested but for 20 worth a shot.Failing that its bin time.