casualty count - slow down signs

installer69

Reaction score
Our local council has started putting these up; you know the type - 33 casualties in 3 years...slow down.

On the particular stretch of road that has that sign a lorry whose brakes failed crashed into the back of a queue of cars causing 11 injuries plus the lorry driver last year.
If this was included then a non speed related incident counted for more than a third of the injuries.

They never give the details to support their claims do they.
I wonder how many road fatalities were purely speed related. By that I mean not a car thief 'speeding' in a stolen car or a drunk 'speeding' home from the pub or an unlicensed, uninsured driver killing himself and four mates on a country road. Statistics can be cleverly used to persecute if we let them.

How many of you have been involved in, have seen or have been held up by a motorway incident involving a lorry? I have seen the aftermath (one a bit too close) of 4 in the last year. Do the government call for lorries to be banned from the road? I'm not implying that the lorries are always to blame but if they weren't there at all they couldn't be involved in an accident with a car in which the car 'always' comes of worst. Sound like a familiar car vs person argument doesn't it?

I believe that in resedential streets/shopping areas/outside schools etc extra care should be taken and even 20mph zones but lets face it, speeding cameras don't stop boy racers in crap bangers with crap brakes and bald tyres speeding past a school because that's not where they are placed. A police prescence in these places would.

There were calls for speed limit reductions after two boy racers in their golfs lost control in a busy high street and killed a motorcyclist. How would a reduction in the speed limit have stopped these idiots being idiots? More police with good judgement may have spotted them before that incident and removed them from the roads.

Rant over. Sorry for any spelling mistakes and I hope it's not too long to read.

On 'Ermine street in' Lincolnshire there are similar signs.
Now, Ermine street is a Roman road, and the stretch between Lincoln and Scunthorpe is particularly straight apart from a half mile section with a steep drop , double chicane , hidden dip etc (you get the picture).
So, where have these 'statistical signs' been placed ? Of course, in the last place where you would want to be distracted .....In (relatively) small print too !

Where I live currently there is a sign which flashes your speed back at you if you are doing more than 30. The local chavs in their pratmobiles love it and after dark the area is filled with the sound of wheelspinning and exhausts as they indulge in a bit of 'quarter-mile action'.
The infinite wisdom of the state............

But then they would'nt generate as much 'instant cash' !!!!!!!! And we would'nt have to work as hard to pay the fines and the exhorbitant insurance costs and if we are not WORKING we are not DRIVING and if we are not DRIVING we are not SPEEDING and if we are not SPEEDING.....etc ....etc.......so thats why you'll NEVER see one of those speed flashy things 100m before every camera - NOT ECONOMICALLY VIABLE my friend.....

Yeah shame as often when you are approaching a speed camera you are not entirely sure what the speed is so you end up slowing down anyway just to be safe.

[ QUOTE ]
veryblack'n'lowA3 said:
Where I live currently there is a sign which flashes your speed back at you if you are doing more than 30. The local chavs in their pratmobiles love it and after dark the area is filled with the sound of wheelspinning and exhausts as they indulge in a bit of 'quarter-mile action'.
The infinite wisdom of the state............

[/ QUOTE ]

You've gotta love those signs! I bet there's a burberry scarf tied to a lamp-post _exactly_ 440 yards from it with two black 1's in the road about 30 inches apart that could only have been made by two kwik-fit £30 specials (165/55/R13)! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

Regards,

Rob.

But what will happen when they've banned us all? No fines, road tax, insurance tax, fuel duty and the vat on vehicle sales going into the coffers!

It would starve the country of operating capital and the UK would close.

Seriously though, it's al about inappropriate speed. I know there are certain groups that would argue that any speeding is inappropriate but even police accept that exceeding the speed limit in a village is different to on an empty motorway..

The latest campaign about the 'late Mr so and so' and the crashes on country roads. Do they mention how crap some of these roads are! No investment from my hard earned fines and taxes here. They let the utilities dig them up one after another (at least those bits have got new tarmac) and then patchwork the roads with varying levels of traction material.

I'd rather see a sign that says 'danger, blind bend, slow farm vehicles pulling out' than one just telling me how many accidents the aforementioned scenario has caused without warning me of it.

We're all adults (kind of) Sure, tell us not to do something for our own good but at least tell us the reasons why so we can make informed decisions about our driving.

lets remember that we have the safest roads in Europe (bring in Turkey and we'll look even better)

Saying all that, I just like going very fast in the RS6 and Porsche and screw anybody that tries to stop me.