JMB RetrofitsMonster Motorsport
    Sharpest Tongue in the West

Status

Winter 2010/2011 Thoughts....

I have to confess to being a bit of a fan of the winter months when the mecury drops below 0 and the snow and ice is abound..

Given last years shocker, what are peoples thoughts on a repeat of it this year?

Some experts now believe that we are in a period of global cooling for the next 30 years and this is the beginning of that cycle, so therefore a return to the winters that some of us will remember from the 80's could be a more regular occurance.

Or do we think last year was just a freak occurance...?
    Porsche Cayman S |Jeep Grand Cherokee|1988 Ford Fiesta XR2

www.essexdriversclub.com

2. # ADS
    ADS

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    I'm not convinced i like winter, especially for motoring.

My biggest worry, isnt me stacking it, its one of the many other complete retards out there stacking it into me.

Sure, theres plenty fun to be had, and theres a nice sense of satisfaction when you happen upon a slippy hill and manage to navigate it successfully where others have failed, but the standards of driving in this country are so low, all i'm worrying about is when is some idiot going to ram into me.

Last year the missus got stuck on a hill in the fwd A4. In all fairness it was on 3/4 worn Eagle F1's and there as absolutely no traction whatsoever. At the top of the hill is a single lane bridge, and you have to slow down to a crawl as you can only see if its clear at the last minute. Unfortunately as the missus reached the top someone was coming the other way and she stopped right on the steepest part, and was unable to pull off again. So i get out, in the cold, wet, dark evening, and see if i can push the car enough to get some traction, and sure enough, me pushing plus her feathering the clutch managed to get it moving slowly forwards, any throttle just resulted in lots of wheelspin, but it was crawling forwards at walking pace just fine. Cept at this point the queue of idiots behind us, none of whom had bothered to get out and lend a hand, decided they'd overtake WHILE i'm pushing the feckin car, mere yards from said single lane blind bridge. Luckily they all made it past without skidding or taking out any oncoming vehicles (which is a surprise considering most of them were revving the nuts off their engines and wheelspinning like mad), and i eventually managed to push the car to the top of the crest and set off along the rest of the road.

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
    I'm not convinced i like winter, especially for motoring.

My biggest worry, isnt me stacking it, its one of the many other complete retards out there stacking it into me.

Sure, theres plenty fun to be had, and theres a nice sense of satisfaction when you happen upon a slippy hill and manage to navigate it successfully where others have failed, but the standards of driving in this country are so low, all i'm worrying about is when is some idiot going to ram into me.

Last year the missus got stuck on a hill in the fwd A4. In all fairness it was on 3/4 worn Eagle F1's and there as absolutely no traction whatsoever. At the top of the hill is a single lane bridge, and you have to slow down to a crawl as you can only see if its clear at the last minute. Unfortunately as the missus reached the top someone was coming the other way and she stopped right on the steepest part, and was unable to pull off again. So i get out, in the cold, wet, dark evening, and see if i can push the car enough to get some traction, and sure enough, me pushing plus her feathering the clutch managed to get it moving slowly forwards, any throttle just resulted in lots of wheelspin, but it was crawling forwards at walking pace just fine. Cept at this point the queue of idiots behind us, none of whom had bothered to get out and lend a hand, decided they'd overtake WHILE i'm pushing the feckin car, mere yards from said single lane blind bridge. Luckily they all made it past without skidding or taking out any oncoming vehicles (which is a surprise considering most of them were revving the nuts off their engines and wheelspinning like mad), and i eventually managed to push the car to the top of the crest and set off along the rest of the road.
    So had it been the 4WD....?

www.essexdriversclub.com

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    well ye, then we wouldnt have got stuck, but that wasnt the point of the story, it was more highlighting the mentality of everyone else on the road.

When you've come across someone whos got stuck, you can only assume its slippery/icy. To overtake said person so close to a blind corner is completely insane, espeically as you've just noticed its icy, which means should something be coming the other way, they're unlikely to be able to stop easily given they're travelling downhill on ice...

Yes it was partly our fault for driving on unsuitable tyres, and yes we probably shouldnt have drove down that road, but thats the whole point, unexpected things happen.

Status
    Of course, and the point is well made. I've noticed from my occasional driving on the continent that the UK is very poor at driving in comparison to it's European peers in general, even worse when the ice and snow comes along!

I watch a complete numpty drive headlong into a ditch last year because he thought he must have been invincible in his Land Rover Discovery, a very pleasurable experience for me as a spectator.

I quite enjoy the challenge of driving in the harsh weather actually as strange as it may sound, although the A5 was atrocious (only fwd too) last winter, so hoping the S3 will be a bit more competant in the snow this year.

www.essexdriversclub.com

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    The problem with 4WD's (S3 or Discovery alike) is that while they can find enough traction to set off up the road, your braking and steering is no different to a fwd car.

People with more than three braincells will realise this, unfortunately the general population seems to average between 1 and 2 braincells, so clearly assume that just because you can accellerate off up the road like normal in your 4wd car you can just drive like the snow/ice isnt there.

Was a photo floating around the landrover forum i use last year of a long streight with a t junction at the end, and about 4 cars in a pile including a golf and some 4wd jeep thing who'd clearly gone boosting along the road, stood on the brakes at the end like every other day and found themselves sailing streight across the junction and into the field on the other side.

Even the very basics of driving skills, like using second gear and minimal throttle to pull away on ice/snow seems to be alien to most drivers.

1st Gear

Status
    Love winter - not for driving (as I own a BM and they are USELESS in the snow) but as I live around the corner from work not a worry this year :D

I would like to see plenty of snow as I am just a big kid at heart but if the the insurance prices go up and up for the same reason of more people having bumps in the snow then it almost makes me want to wish for a warm winter!!

AwesomeMike

S3 Drift King!

Status
    This reminds of tackling a hill is slow moving traffic, everyone seems to think wheelspinning is the best way to pull off! So much so that all the heavy snow was turned into an icerink for people to follow, and there was a Toyota Corolla in front of me stuck midway up the hill wheelspinning away!! I was in my trusty Toyota Rav4, but the longer it went, I could see it slide towards me at some point, so I hopped out and gave them a push, insisting they use 2nd gear to pull off.... job done. Got back into my car and headed back to work to find I had dropped my mobile phone Goddammit, so much for helping others aye.

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh! For Sale:LCR Brakes - £400

2nd Gear
    Hexxagon Champion

Status
    we had snow in 2009 aswell, i hd my mk5 golf and both times it was useless (had eagles on to be fair so has the S3 cant wait to get rid of them), im hopeing my S3 will be better 2nd gear pull aways might be a clutch burner though.

S3 Drift King!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Breezey View Post
    im hopeing my S3 will be better 2nd gear pull aways might be a clutch burner though.
    There's no need to pull off in 2nd in an S3.

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh! For Sale:LCR Brakes - £400

Faster than a V12 Q7

Status
    Last year was the first snowy winter I have experienced with a 4wd car. It was brilliant, I love the quiet roads and the knowing nod to the guy driving the other way in the same car as you. I like to get out as much as I can in the snow to learn how the car reacts to different circumstances so as, if something goes wrong in front of me, I know how to get the myself and car to a stop safetly and the other advantages that finding a disserted car park can bring.

I can't wait for more snow soon, but as Aragorn rightly points out, its the other idiots you have to watch out for.

Gievf Buckets

Status
    cant wait for snow personally last year was ace fun with studded front snow tyres and flexwall ice rear tyres on the a3 (fwd) this year is the s3 with the winter setup but as the the s3 4wd worried about idiots pranging the car after a 6 month rebuild on it as i bought it as salvage

2007 S3 PhantomSchwartz

Spec | Auto Lights | Black Headlining | RNS-E with 6 CD Changer | Phone Prep | Facelift Tails | MFSW | Cruise | Bluetooth | Adaptive Bi-xenon Headlights |

Mods
    | MY10 Facelift | 75% LED's | Sepang Bronze Facelift Alloys

Plans | LED 3dr tails | BBK Setup | Some BBS | Custom TBE |

Quote Originally Posted by N8
    Yes, but they are OEM Phaeton Helios alloy wheels, not cheap ****e aftermarket piles of poop.

Status
    i've been trying to price up winter tyres for my car, but it seems I can't really get them much cheaper than about 130 per tyre and then a second hand set of 18" wheels (as i can't go smaller) so all in i'm looking at about 1,000 just for a winter set-up. Anybody got any hints or tips?

www.essexdriversclub.com

Faster than a V12 Q7

Status
    Last year I didnt change anything on the a3 quattro and I'm not planning on changing anything on the s3, I think unless you're in an area like, I imagine where P5SND lives, where theres alot of snow you should be ok on a normal set up. Saying that im running standard 17" S3 alloys with a fair amount of tyre between the alloy and the road.

Status
    its not just the snow, it's when temps drop below about 10C that normal summer tyres become hard and lose their performance. Winter tyres have more natural rubber in them and will give far superior performance to summer tyres. They will also have tread patterns that perform better in snow and slush.

A car with winter tyres will stop in about half the distance at just 10mph than a car with summer tyres in the snow and ice, 4WD won't make an ounce of difference to your stopping times.

They are a good idea, but it's the intial outlay that I find a painful idea!

www.essexdriversclub.com

2nd Gear
    Hexxagon Champion

Status

Status
    Yes thats the right size, thats not such a bad price actually. maybe worth a punt, now to find me some cheap 18s!!

www.essexdriversclub.com

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    I've been thinking about it myself. Already got a spare set of rims, but the tyres are mighty expensive.

Two of the rims already have some vredestein wintracs on them, so i thaught for a bit that i'd only need two tyres, but closer inspection shows a lot of perishing and cracking of the outer shoulder and sidewalls, so they must be very old tyres.

So then theres the question do i buy a pair of winters and stick em on the front? I cant decide if the improved braking/steering benefits are larger than the possibility of losing the back end due to having substantially less grip back there...

6th Gear

Status
    Think im gonna get some winter tyres rather be safe than sorry
    Dark Vader Half sibling - MyThread

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by beanoir View Post
    Yes thats the right size, thats not such a bad price actually. maybe worth a punt, now to find me some cheap 18s!!
    ebay is your friend i see RS6 and RS4 go for less than 250 without tyres
    Dark Vader Half sibling - MyThread

Faster than a V12 Q7

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by beanoir View Post
    its not just the snow, it's when temps drop below about 10C that normal summer tyres become hard and lose their performance. Winter tyres have more natural rubber in them and will give far superior performance to summer tyres. They will also have tread patterns that perform better in snow and slush.

A car with winter tyres will stop in about half the distance at just 10mph than a car with summer tyres in the snow and ice, 4WD won't make an ounce of difference to your stopping times.

They are a good idea, but it's the intial outlay that I find a painful idea!
    Ah I see, I hadn't thought that far into it, every days a school day

Gievf Buckets

Status
    just to clear up winter tyres are awful in slush tbh any wet they lose traction but vs snow and ice they are king

2007 S3 PhantomSchwartz

Spec | Auto Lights | Black Headlining | RNS-E with 6 CD Changer | Phone Prep | Facelift Tails | MFSW | Cruise | Bluetooth | Adaptive Bi-xenon Headlights |

Mods
    | MY10 Facelift | 75% LED's | Sepang Bronze Facelift Alloys

Plans | LED 3dr tails | BBK Setup | Some BBS | Custom TBE |

Quote Originally Posted by N8
    Yes, but they are OEM Phaeton Helios alloy wheels, not cheap ****e aftermarket piles of poop.

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    ^^ Nonsense.

Thats just like saying Summer tyres are useless when the suns out.

Decent winter tyres will perform perfectly fine in slush and on wet roads. **** ones wont.

If you've got the cash, the ones to go for are the Conti TS830, Dunlop SP Wintersport 3D and the Goodyear UltraGrip.

Plenty of reviews here:
    2010 Auto Zeitung Winter Tyre Test - tyre reviews, the online tyre guide
    2010 Auto Bild Performance Winter Tyre Test - tyre reviews, the online tyre guide
    2010 European Winter Tyre Test - tyre reviews, the online tyre guide

I'm looking at the Nokian WRG2's, they dont review quite as highly, but are a fair bit cheaper.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
    ^^ Nonsense.

Thats just like saying Summer tyres are useless when the suns out.

Decent winter tyres will perform perfectly fine in slush and on wet roads. **** ones wont.

If you've got the cash, the ones to go for are the Conti TS830, Dunlop SP Wintersport 3D and the Goodyear UltraGrip.

Plenty of reviews here:
    2010 Auto Zeitung Winter Tyre Test - tyre reviews, the online tyre guide
    2010 Auto Bild Performance Winter Tyre Test - tyre reviews, the online tyre guide
    2010 European Winter Tyre Test - tyre reviews, the online tyre guide

I'm looking at the Nokian WRG2's, they dont review quite as highly, but are a fair bit cheaper.
    Agree!

www.essexdriversclub.com