Got my first ticket / points on my license - what would you do?

danA3T

Reaction score
Hi all

This morning I was pulled for allegedly going through a (IMO badly signed) no entry sign. The old bill were great pair of guys, very reasonable and I understand their reasons for issuing a ticket.

Given it's my first-ever, I was after some advice.

Just take the points and fine and "take it on the chin" or contest it in court, is it worth getting a solicitor for this sort of thing?

TIA, Dan

Get photos of the sign that was "Badly Signed" this will help, sooner rather than later if you are going to contest it.

Was it 3 points and £60? Or 1 Point?

To be fair slap on the wrist for a first offender should have been reasonable, i've been let off for doing far worse things!

Definitely challenge it. I always do, even if I feel the chance of getting off is slim.
They have a set amount of time to prosecute you (6 or 12 months I think), and if they haven't taken you to court in that time then they lose the right too. Here in London and with the volume of challenges they find it quite hard to take you to court within the specified time. Sometimes they don't even come back to you.

Wouldn't bother with a solicitor, just read through a few of the millions of "get off fine/points" website and you'll find loads of useful info on challenging tickets etc.

And those cops might have seemed reasonable but if the sign was really that badly positioned then they aren't that reasonable for ticketing you still.

Thanks for the replies fellas.. I hate to say it (after they ticketed me) but they were a decent pair of coppers. Their explanation was that they'd seen a number of accidents at that spot.

However, the ticket already seemed to be written by the time I was sat inside the back of the unmarked Vectra traffic car. Wonder if it was to do with being young (ish) and driving round in a '10 plate (though it isnt a sixty plate, now is it).

I've looked around on the various sites and have sought the paperwork from the council (traffic control order?) and they don't seem to have one so I *might* be lucky and get off on that.

Today's been a c*nt of a day, broke my record of no points, been on a course full of fools and all the roads are blocked 'cos there's a woman jumping off a bridge onto the inner ring road during rush hour. On a plus note, instead of driving home, I took to the pub and had a decent couple of pints instead.