Gas man trying to rip me off

consilio

Up the owls!
Reaction score
What do you reckon to this....

About 3 years ago I built a path outside my house. Because the plastic (partially submerged in ground) gas meter box would have been a trip hazard, we removed the plastic lid, built some support around the gas meter and put a manhole cover on top - all still easily accessible as its only a lightweight plastic lid, but is now level with the pathway.

I get a letter a month ago from the company that maintain the meter saying that it is now unsafe because it is not accessible, likely to corrode, and doesn't meet gas safe regulations. They want £1000+VAT to put it right or they will cut me off.

Ive since read the gas safe regulations and it would appear that the worst they could do is ask me not to use it, and I dont have to pay them to do anything as long as it is not posing any immediate danger to anyone! I've written back to them but not heard anything yet.

Anyone ITK got any input?

Thanks

The worst they could do is ask you not to use it? They would essentially be putting the onus of risk onto you in case of an accident.

Its not readily accessable or visible, so could delay in an emergency situation, such as you have a gas leak and the emergency services cannot find it and have to hunt around for it. By closing it in it is more likely to hold moisture, and as such, corrode, and leak, and maybe explode.

In my opinion you have got off lightly, they could have cut you off straight away and fined you.