Pc experts advice needed

205man

Reaction score
My pc has suddenly developed an annoying fault

When I turn it on it starts to boot up then for no reason just turns off, just after the xp logo goes.
I then try restart it and the safe mode option appears , so I choose safe mode and it boots as normal into safe mode.
If I then choose to restart it boots up as normal with no problems and works perfect until you turn it off then I get same problem when I try to use it again later ..
I've used system restore but not worked, I've checked for virus etc and that fine ....... Help lol

I'm running xp pro sp2

Thanks

mine did something similar, in the end had to do a complete re-install of windows, been running fine since

re installation time saldy. Probably a corrupt driver or registry entry. Without lots of logging and playing the layman can't usually get it to revive ( i havn't anyway)

XP used to allow you to fix it with an over the top install whilst retaining your settings and files, but Microshaft removed that for some reason, unless someone knows different

Whens it is restarting it probably is flashing a bluescreen error to quickly to see. When you boot into safe mode apply these options;

Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
Click the Advanced tab.
Under Startup and Recovery, click Settings to open the Startup and Recovery dialog box.
Clear the Automatically restart check box, and click OK the necessary number of times.
Restart your computer for the settings to take effect.

This will not automaticly restart when it encounters an error. This should give you some more information to go on. Google the stop code error message or post it here.

Also if your accessing safe mode, go to the event viewer and see if there are any error events that could be causing the problem.

Last edited:
My pc has suddenly developed an annoying fault

When I turn it on it starts to boot up then for no reason just turns off, just after the xp logo goes.
I then try restart it and the safe mode option appears , so I choose safe mode and it boots as normal into safe mode.
If I then choose to restart it boots up as normal with no problems and works perfect until you turn it off then I get same problem when I try to use it again later ..
I've used system restore but not worked, I've checked for virus etc and that fine ....... Help lol

I'm running xp pro sp2

Thanks

Don't suppose you are running AVG Free anti-virus by any chance? I had this problem, and it was because of a corrupt update file AVG supplied which goes into some kind of loop, so I uninstalled it and reinstalled it with latest update on my XP home edition, and it's been fine since.

Before you go reinstalling windows or repairing it using the recovery console (and probably confusing the hell out of yourself).......

Run system file checker, see if that picks up anything.

You'll need your XP disc, and stick it in the CD drive. Don't run it.
Go to Start - Run, then type SFC.EXE /SCANNOW in the box and press enter.

This will check to see if any of your system files have been damaged. If it finds any that are dodgy then it'll replace them with the originals from the XP disc.

ok guys ive tried all the above, and have also tried reformatting and installing and still same problem.

i even tried to install windows 7 ultimate and it just turned off at almost the end of installtion and so crashed.

so ive managed to install xp pro again, but still got same issues....i switch it on it gets as far as the xp logo then when it triies to go further it just turns off completely.

i can get it to start and run in safe mode and it seems stable then..........but when i do manage to get it to run normally it just randomly on occasion shuts down dead.

psu and mb temps are all low/normal , ive unplugged graphics card and now using onboard but still same

?? im running out of ideas

thanks alan

If reinstallation isn't curing the problem then it sounds like a hardware problem.
Is the pc still running all it's original hardware from factory?? Or has any of it been upgraded/replaced??

Your hard drive could be faulty (this is my guess), so everytime it tries to read from a particular sector it crashes.
If you have a spare hard drive laying around swap it for your original one and try installing windows to that.
If you don't have a spare one you can buy new for pretty cheap from ebuyer.com or ebay.

Or if you look to see your which hard drive you have you could download some utility/diagnostics software for it. This should tell you if there are any problems with it. Obviously running it in safe mode so your pc stays on long enough for it to complete.

It's just a matter or elimination now i'm afraid, but my next step would be the hard drive.

ok harddrive is only few months old,

but things have gotten worse now as it powers up when you turn it on but screen doenst do anything just stays black, im thinking now mb or cpu failure .....arrrghh ****** pc lol

thanks for help so far tho

Assuming you can boot to desktop, have you tried a disk check on your hard drive ? right click c drive>properties>tools>error checking>select both tick boxes>ok>reboot.Im not convinced that the mobo temps ok, ive had this problem before and i reseated the chip (cos the paste had dried out) and cured it.The chip gets very hot very quickly before heating up the mobo.Its a process of elimination...still happens with graphic card out, thats one less to check.

I have had similar probs before and it was a naughty RAM module.

If you have 2 ram cards fitted try removing 1 @ a time and see if the problem persists.

It caused me all sorts of random problems. Even after reinstalls of XP too, I eventually managed to get xp installed and was installing the last program and..... Pop wouldn't boot!!! It was memory.

No guarantees but worth a try m8.

Good luck.