I want a Porswche Boxster Spyder in white now with PCCB Ceramic Brakes!!!! :)

If it didn't have such a crap roof then i'd be in full agreement. The idea of buying a Porsche is that it does things without feeling like you've bought a Lotus...

my favourite car at the moment... just a shame the roof is meant to be real unpracticle... on m-ways and bad weather conditions.. i saw one in brighton in white with ceramics n everythingg... :wub:

as a toy would be ok, as a daily driver utterly hopeless........ only for the rich to add to their collection in same vein as 911 speedster

as a toy would be ok, as a daily driver utterly hopeless........ only for the rich to add to their collection in same vein as 911 speedster

true. i looked at this but then once you replace all the things you need to drive it, things they took off to save weight, its more expensive than getting a normal boxster or decent cayman - except for your extra cash you get no door handles and a crap roof.

i still love it though

Yes the roof is shut but I would go out my way to bother with it, because the car looks so good with the hump on the back, Ceramic brakes and a Boxster Spyder in white with xenons = sex!!!!

David

I think I prefer a Cayman S or a TT RS for that price. Main reason is probably because I don't have the skill to make use of the handling and performance lol, and the annoying roof as well.

I had a brand new Boxster the weekend before last for 4 days and I totally fell in love with it. Audi is now going up for sale so I can get one!

TT-RS with map and zorst - Jonny C's did 3.1 to 60 and TT Shops 3.3

Saw these at Inters too, proper giant killers.
Even that wacky stripped out white MK1 (just down from your car) didnt match JCs 0-60.

Back on topic, the new Boxster looks epic but I wouldnt buy one, for the reasons the guys have already stated on here.
Cayman S (ahem) or Boxster S would be fine enough.

cheers
Paul

I had a brand new Boxster the weekend before last for 4 days and I totally fell in love with it. Audi is now going up for sale so I can get one!

Get one, I loved mine.

I'm looking at getting another before the end of the year, I'll give the S3 to the misses when she passes her test.

+1

TT-RS with map and zorst - Jonny C's did 3.1 to 60 and TT Shops 3.3

nath did he really get that 0-60 time with just remap and milltek??:sign_omg:

like i said the porsche is unreal.. but too impractial.. and in terms of modding totally out of my league.. engine conversions are circa 10-20k!!! i remember looking into a cayman s... techart bodykit was £5000k wheels £3500+ exhaust £2500+

basically for me to own a porsche properly i'd need to be caked!! i mean they arent exactly that fast unless you start going carrera territory... ive driven the 3.4 engine and although it sounds beautiful, speed wise id get bored quickly...

or u just do it properly and buy one of these http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1794570.htm :wub:

whick is possibly the nicest car ever.... i drove behind one of these the other ripping it!! and the noise is amazing although i chatted to the guy and he said try doing a 100 miles in it.. feels like i had the living shi* kicked outta me lol...

Last edited:
I like it but I'd rather have a standard Boxster S or a Cayman S for the creature comforts and proper roof if it was to be your only vehicle.

Compared to a TT-RS it handles much better and for feel and involvement will be streets ahead. But that roof is so impractical and in the UK its gonna be useless taking the roof off only to spend 30 mins putting it back on when it rains after 5 mins !

nath did he really get that 0-60 time with just remap and milltek??:sign_omg:

like i said the porsche is unreal.. but too impractial.. and in terms of modding totally out of my league.. engine conversions are circa 10-20k!!! i remember looking into a cayman s... techart bodykit was £5000k wheels £3500+ exhaust £2500+

basically for me to own a porsche properly i'd need to be caked!! i mean they arent exactly that fast unless you start going carrera territory... ive driven the 3.4 engine and although it sounds beautiful, speed wise id get bored quickly...

or u just do it properly and buy one of these http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1794570.htm :wub:

whick is possibly the nicest car ever.... i drove behind one of these the other ripping it!! and the noise is amazing although i chatted to the guy and he said try doing a 100 miles in it.. feels like i had the living shi* kicked outta me lol...

The 2 cars aren't really comparable, in fact no Audi is comparable to a Porker, they are worlds apart in terms of driver feel and experience. Most Audis (possibly the R8 aside) are front heavy understeery machines, whereas a Cayman is a mid-engined lighter weight machine (about 145kg lighter than the TTRS) and this is normally reflected in the kind of track times the 2 cars will turn in. But then Audis are cheaper to buy and own than a Porsche, so you can't expect them to be in the same league, thats not what Audi are about.

Most people who buy Porsches aren't the type to "mod" them, they dont need it, they're not bothered about outright 0-60 times or how much BHP you have to run you up a tarmac runway.

Last edited:
The 2 cars aren't really comparable, in fact no Audi is comparable to a Porker,

I dunno... I think the R8 has a certain amount of overlap into 'typical' Porsche market territory... [/quote]

Most Audis (possibly the R8 aside) are front heavy understeery machines, whereas a Cayman is a mid-engined lighter weight machine (about 145kg lighter than the TTRS) and this is normally reflected in the kind of track times the 2 cars will turn in. But then Audis are cheaper to buy and own than a Porsche...

...you got THAT right!

Most people who buy Porsches aren't the type to "mod" them, they dont need it, they're not bothered about outright 0-60 times or how much BHP you have to run you up a tarmac runway.

Then again, it depends....

The local PCA (Porsche Club of America) membership splits into two distinct groups; -The lawyer/doctor/dentist 'poser' owners, who think that Porsche is a 'luxury' brand, and the Auto-cross/Track-day/racer types, who do a significant amount of modification.

I bought mine from its first owner, who had chipped it, fitted a roll-cage & Harnesses, liquid-cooled braking, stiffer bars front & rear, fully-adjustable Koni's, and a host of other suspension mods, then blasted it around Sebring racetrack for a few years. He and all the others in the latter group of PCA members are VERY into their cars.

I have little time for the poser members... -One of my neighbours came up to me the other day and excitedly announced that his wife had given him permission to buy a 2001 911 (non-turbo...). -He's not a 'sport' driver; he just wants it because it's a Porsche, and he will NEVER take it to the track, or even the auto-cross circuit.

Porsche have muddled their brand image a little by bringing out the Cayenne. A big heavy Porsche with a fundamental balance disadvantage is not a classic.

The Cayman is an absolute PEACH to drive. It's wonderfully balanced, and VERY agile. -Even the old transaxle 924/944/968 was naturally well balanced, although with the weight at both ends, they were much more suited to larger tracks instead of tighter circuits; their natural stability becomes a liability at auto-cross, for example... and it is there that the Cayman S truly shines.

I'd have a Cayman S any day of the week... though for now I'm saving my pennies in the hope that a used R8 turns up in a couple of years, by which time I'm hoping that my savings combined with the sale of my Porsche might intersect with the value of a nice R8...

Keith

How old is the car?
21 years.

(240,000 miles though!)

Some time ago, I added up all of the reciepts from initial vehicle purchase up to the present day. -It came to nearly a quarter of a million dollars!!!:banghead:

My wife must NEVER be allowed access to that particular pile of paperwork! :nunu:

God those composite brakes are so good looking. THe thing is its like £10K to expensive, no used ones either with PCCB brakes damn it

Need a go in my dads cayman S tonight now. Just to let you people know, I still won;t be able to afford one ***!!!!

I'm going to stand out and say I actually like the look of the roof. The canvas, straps and hoops make it interesting, and in the flesh it realy does look good!

But for that amount of money? There are others on the kist, but then again I have done mY Porsche time already

Gte your hand in your pocket & go & buy one.
They handle mint.
However, cant help but think of female hairdressers at the same time.
In my mind convertibles are for two types of people;
1; females.
2;males with female tendancies, that love to pose & say LOOK AT ME EVERYONE.
Buy a proper car for gods sake, buy a 911.

I'm surprised this thread lasted so long until the hairdresser, boxster not a propoer porsche, get a 911 instead brigade came along

Happens everytime, I suppose a Caterham R500, Radical, Formula 1 Car, Aerial Atom....are very much hairdressers cars...

In general converibles flex like hell, they creek & groan, as well as most leak water.
Somehting i hate quite frankly.
Ive got an e46 m3 cabby here at the moment, looks mint.But drives like an old piece of sh't.
Cant wait to get rid of it.

In general converibles flex like hell, they creek & groan, as well as most leak water.
Ive got an e46 m3 cabby here at the moment, looks mint.But drives like an old piece of sh't.

In general yes but in the Porsche's case no. The boxter chassis is incredibly rigid and was designed to be a roadster from the start..how many testers have you heard complain of body flex? my friends 06 Boxster S certainly doesn't.

The mid engined Boxster/Cayman is the most balanced Porsche by a mile obviously with its MRE layout and hampered only by tradition and politics in the Porsche pecking order...or you can turn to RUF and get a 700bhp Cayman/911 hybrid which will kick any 911s ***.

You really dont have a clue what you're talking about do you..

Your old M3 cabby may well experience scuttle shake, but then thats because the car was designed in the first instance to be a coupe. Most convertible cars that were born from a hardtop originally normally experience this. Cars originally designed to be a convertible generally are stiffer because the underlying chassis has been designed to accommodate not having a solid roof.

Secondly, just because a car has a convertible roof or because it's cheaper, doesn't mean it's not "a proper car". A 911 is no more a proper car than a Boxster, they share a considerable number of parts in fact, c.50% if my memory serves me correct.

But we could you use your very own methodology and say that as your 1.6 A3 is not a range topping model or an S3 means it's not actually a proper Audi, rather a "poor mans Audi"? no, of course it's not, sounds ridiculous though doesn't it.

Last edited:
it's a Porsche, they dont go wrong.

Sorry beanoir but they do go wrong. Ask the unfortunate 996 owners about ceramic brake and oil seal problems, 964 owners about oil leaks just to name a few. I have no idea where the perception came from that Porsches do not go wrong, it's a total myth. And now that Porsche are what you may say "mass producing" the same as every other marque they suffer the same issues on quality control. I know of people who would never touch another Porsche as long as they live.
That said if I had the money to run it I would still have a 993 Turbo 4, last of the real turbo's with the air cooled engine.......awesome.

Sorry beanoir but they do go wrong. Ask the unfortunate 996 owners about ceramic brake and oil seal problems, 964 owners about oil leaks just to name a few. I have no idea where the perception came from that Porsches do not go wrong, it's a total myth. And now that Porsche are what you may say "mass producing" the same as every other marque they suffer the same issues on quality control. I know of people who would never touch another Porsche as long as they live.
That said if I had the money to run it I would still have a 993 Turbo 4, last of the real turbo's with the air cooled engine.......awesome.

Of course, all cars have their issues, the oil leaks and RMS failure being a very notable one on Porsches including the later 996s. I was actually referring (as the conversation was and the previous post) to the the brakes. Brakes dont tend to just go wrong on a brand new car let alone a Porsche, that was my point.

Once a car is more than 3-5 years old, you should expect problems of varying degrees as no car is made to last for ever without parts needing replacement.

I think referring to JD powers makes my point quite clear, Audi relatively average in terms of reliability, Porsche on the other hand are about as good as it gets, it's no myth.

http://www.jdpower.com/autos/ratings/dependability-ratings-by-brand

one of the best noises that is, the air cooling on 993's would love a turbo 4 or even a carrera 4s widebody mmmmmmm :wub:

LOL @ this thread. Cayman S is a lovely car, driven one. Handles sublime, sounds lovely, brakes well, interior is nice, but one major problem....

its not quick enough, and if your feeling that on a 30min test drive, how about after 2 years of ownership?

I prefer the Audi cabin so TT-RS ADL for me. Plus I love turbo power delivery.

LOL @ this thread. Cayman S is a lovely car, driven one. Handles sublime, sounds lovely, brakes well, interior is nice, but one major problem....

its not quick enough, and if your feeling that on a 30min test drive, how about after 2 years of ownership?

However fast the TT-RS may be, it's a front wheel drive overweight coupe based on a Mk5 Golf chassis.

The Cayman S is a perfectly balanced mid-engined sports car, designed as..... a mid-engined sports car. It's not about 0-60 times, it's about how well it can maintain the speed around the twisties, and how much fun you can have doing that.

Its not just all about straight line speed though, the Cayman has amazing balance, steering and brake feel, and a very delicate adjustable chassis, and a high revving naturally aspirated flat 6. All these things count a lot towards driver experience. The TT-RS is very fast and has tonnes of grip but is a nose heavy blunt tool in comparison.
I bet if you drove a Turbo S and a GT3RS side by side you'd take the GT3 every day of the week

Its not just all about straight line speed though, the Cayman has amazing balance, steering and brake feel, and a very delicate adjustable chassis, and a high revving naturally aspirated flat 6. All these things count a lot towards driver experience. The TT-RS is very fast and has tonnes of grip but is a nose heavy blunt tool in comparison.
I bet if you drove a Turbo S and a GT3RS side by side you'd take the GT3 every day of the week

i certainly would... but a gt3rs compared to a turbo is not like comparing a TTRS with a Cayman is it?? dont forget the GT2RS :eyebrows:

I like this thread!

Having just moved from a REVO stage 2+ S3 into a 911 C4S I would like to throw a few things into the pot!

I made the mistake of just looking at figures and 0-60 times and top speed when I first started to look at Porsche as a new toy to play with, and was a bit put off by most cars good to average performance figures, but not a big improvment if any compaired to my S3!!!

However and this is the thing that makes Porsche what it is. The Handling experiance is AWESOME compaired to the S3, I think mine have very similar top speeds but the Porsche will run rings around the Audi as soon as you get on a road that has any corners!

The Porsche will just keep pulling away more and more after every turn of the steering wheel. The Porsche sites and race instructors actualy recomend getting track time tuition instead of engine tuning to get the best results from the Porsche package.

I will still be spending money on tuning my cars but maybe just for the noise as the engine starts to howl, so modded exhaust back box's, K&N induction kit and a revo map just to let it breath better in the mid range. This wont give me a huge amount of extra power but will clean up the throttle response whilst the exhaust sets off car alarms and just puts a grin on my face.

Audi and Porsche are totaly diferant cars. I loved the huge push in the back from the S3 and how very easy it is to drive at excessive speed but I was dissapointed with the lack of feel to the car and involment with it.Still a great car though.
The Porsche just makes you grin no matter what you do, slow speed's fast corners, pop to Tesco's it dosent matter you will enjoy it!

Buy the Porsche mate you will not regret it, and the marque has similar traits to Audi so good indipendent garages will keep the costs down should you need to have something fixed. Mind OPC Porsche garages charge 55 pounds less an hour for there mechanics than Audi??? which is a bit strange and indipendents charge about 50 quid and hour so Paddy would of saved about 10 k on his V6 problems so not as costly as some will have you think when compaired to Audi main dealers!

Regards Gaz