Gear Shifting - Not as smooth now :(

Jonay

Reaction score
I've had my A3 for just little over a week, and I find that the quality and smoothness of shifting the stick into gear has got a bit "clunky" over this short period.

What can cause this?

Does it make a difference if I leave the car in gear with the handbrake taking the majority of the weight on my steep driveway?

does it make a difference that i leave it in first gear when i reverse park sloping backwards?

should i leave it in reverse?

should i not leave it in gear at all?! (bad idea, I left it over night without being in gear and it had slipped about 40cm closer to my garage door!)

I dont think the mileage would be an issue as ive only just noticed this over the week ive had it. but if it does its got 113.5K on the clock! I don't know when (or if!!) the clutch has ever been changed.. but i dont think that could be a contributor (as again for the short period of time it has developed and its not even engaged when this problem is happening!) but then again I know very little!

or could it be something as little as not having adequate oil in the gearbox or something like that?

Help!

TIA! :):think:

leaving it in gear makes no difference at all,best place to start is changing the box oil and checking that the clutch and duel mass are working correctly,if you are stationary on a flat even surface,park the car with no handbrake or brakes applied and in neutral +running,dip the clutch and go to select1st gear(just to the point pressure is applied) very slowly does the car attempt to move slightly at all in any way?

tried this today, no movement.

If i shift slowly (i.e take 2secs to move up/down a gear) then its fine, but anything faster than that it feels like its all gone sharp in there and its catching on corners or something..

it wasnt like this before.

any thing i can do to reduce?

hmm,unsure,its probably best to make sure there are no worn bushes to the selector housing/box,or if it could do with some realigning. Its probably best to take it to your local garage to confirm this.