Parking Ticket Charge - Where do we stand??

Nilz

Defo worth the wait :)
Reaction score
The missus was parked in a 'Brittania car park' as always for work, she paid for a ticket, but it must have fallen off the dash and landed on the seat, now she has been given a parking charge notice of £60!!

Where do we stand, obviously there is an appeal process, but is this one of those situs, where we can just ignore it, or do we appeal and see what happens from there???

Any help/advice much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Nilz

if its a council run car park you usually have to submit the ticket with the fine and they should waver the fine.

My brother did the same thing, except he didnt buy a ticket, he waited for somebody to come to there car and he asked for their ticket. Got him out of a fine though

your brother is a cheeky so and so

Its not a council run car park, its a private one.....

The same should still apply, If you have proof that you brought a ticket, there is nothing they can do. Don't give in, they do this to people all the ****** time and make money out of those who cave in, take it all the way :)

Good luck

I imagine it would depend on exactly what the ticket is for, "Failing to display a valid ticket" might still apply if they want to get difficult about it.

Good luck though.

Cheers guys, going to contact them tomorrow as I have the ticket in my hand which was brought and shows the time it was brought and also the amount put in, which covers it for the whole day.

Will let you know the outcome.

I got a parking ticket a few weeks back and I challenged it and the council dropped it.

Over 65% of all parking tickets are cancelled if ever challenged!

Under the law, by which all things count whether private or council land, if you have not "parked with the intention to defraud" and therefore have a paid ticket then you will win the case in court, certainly. If the ticket fell onto the floor then you can claim that you put it on the dash and wind from the vents blew it off (an external gust will travel through to the vents). It is IMPOSSIBLE to prove you wilfully failed to display the ticket when you have proven intent to "pay and display" with the possession of a parking voucher/receipt - hence the legal contract of "pay and display". If the private company tried to play bully boy then tell them you will take them to court - you paid your ticket, end of! If they think you're talking crap, ask them if they can prove you did not display the ticket. When they fail to logically do that (which they will fail to do) simply say "I won't pay it, take me to court and I'll let you pay the costs and lose them!"

Do not get into pointless arguments with them, just let them take you to court. Remember, Penalty notices on private lands are not in any way as enforceable as are council parking tickets. On private land, once you cross the land's perimeter you automatically enter into a contract to pay for the space you occupy. You did, so end of: you fulfilled your contractual obligations. "Pay & Display" is a collective legal term and you cannot easily prove one without the other. The legal bods among us we'll confirm that it is "assumed" that when you paid for the ticket (you have it) that you would thereafter naturally display it."

Last edited:
Thanks for that dudes....

I have sent a copy of the ticket and an appeal form to the company that issued the ticket and also rang them to advise of this, I posted recorded delivery by the way.

They said that if we have the ticket and sent it, they would cancel the charge, which is fair enough, however did say it can take upto 6 weeks to get a reponse, I dont care really as long as I dont have to pay it.

Well half way there, what they say and do are two different things, so watch out for an update in 6 weeks time...lol :)

I found this web site really handy http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/private-parking-tickets
The mrs gets a ticket every day in the local hospital carpark cause thats her place of work, 40 quid a time, we dont pay cause they send me (the registered owner) the notice and under law i dont need to tell them who was driving. I save up about a dozen of them then send them off with the cover letter from that web site.
Job Done!

GOOD NEWS!!!!

We had a letter come through the post today to say that they have cancelled the charge :)

Result!!!

yea took long enough, but got there in the end :)