Chris NottJMB Retrofits
    1st Gear

Status

moving to Ireland

I may be moving to Ireland, can anyone tell me if I can buy a new car tax free in UK then import it to Ireland?

2. # ADS
    ADS

Neutral

Status
    you should be able to, i live up in the north and all the one's from the south buy their car up here and get the dealer to sort the paper work for them.

1st Gear

Status
    Thanks will give it a whirl.

3rd Gear

Status
    Are you moving to the south or north? In the south you have to have owned the car for a year or something stupid, if not then you will have to pay the duty like the rest of us. You can calculate it here https://www.ros.ie/VRTEnquiryServlet/showCarCalculator

Check out this link for some more info http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/lea...html#section10

Reverse Gear

Status
    you have to pay duty aswell as VRT(Vehicle registration tax) if the car is less than 6months old. if its more than 6months you just pay the VRT. it would have to be registered for the 6months tho. the only way of getting away without vrt is if you own the car for 1year outside ireland you can bring it over here and just change plates I think im sure theres some small fee (known Ireland that small fee is a couple of hundred). would you not just bring over your english reg car and leave it on english plates if the gaurds stop you, you'll still have your uk licence. you'll have cheaper tax as well.