JMB RetrofitsBadger5

Thread: Parking charge

2nd Gear

Status

Parking charge

Hi everyone,

Stopped in a Knutsford Services abit too long and there ANPR camera picked up on the fact.

Received a letter from some parking company wanting 50 or more if I dont pay asap. Had a quick google and it turns out they legally cannot charge me as its a company and not the council etc

Very angry as I went in and bought stuff from there shop so I am a customer then had work done on my car.

Anyone been in a similar situation?
    S3 Sportback - Ibis White
    Factory: Privacy Glass, Cruise Control, Heated Seats, RNS-E, Bluetooth, Bose, Ipod Dock
    Modifications: Revo Stage 2+, Forge CAI, APR HPFP, Milltek TBE - H&R ARB's & Springs - TV Tuner, Reverse Camera

Wanted: Stock S3 facelift alloys

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    Jesus, never heard of that before.

Fight it mate, they will soon back down if you cause alot of fuss, i think the majority of the time they try these things to see what they can get away with.
    Last edited by Dazmo; 11th May 2010 at 14:54.

Maritus Blue Audi A4 3.0 V6 S-Line TDi 275bhp, 585nm Torque

2nd Gear

Status
    Thought about it but most say not to contact them? Will do some more digging...
    S3 Sportback - Ibis White
    Factory: Privacy Glass, Cruise Control, Heated Seats, RNS-E, Bluetooth, Bose, Ipod Dock
    Modifications: Revo Stage 2+, Forge CAI, APR HPFP, Milltek TBE - H&R ARB's & Springs - TV Tuner, Reverse Camera

Wanted: Stock S3 facelift alloys

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by waring192 View Post
    Thought about it but most say not to contact them? Will do some more digging...
    Yeah id do that mate, just make out you have not received any letter, just ignore it.

Maritus Blue Audi A4 3.0 V6 S-Line TDi 275bhp, 585nm Torque

MODERATOR V6 S3 Hybrid

Status
    Yeh, we had it at an Outlet Village and got the same ticket. Ignore it! DONT write to them at all. They may write once, but ignore and they wont come back. They cannot as its not either council or Police!!! Just dont park there again soon as they may keep a look out and clamp you!

Heard it lots of times at Knutsford!

Mauritus Blue 3.2 V6 S Line Quattro DSG Xenons Sunroof Leather Sat Nav/Changer/TV/Text W8 & Int Light Pack Dark H/Lining Tints PDC S3 Kit '11 Rears Sachs/Eibachs & more... Build Thread

Neutral

Status
    Only the police and the council can issue 'fines.' What you have is an invoice for parking for too long.
    They don't stand a chance of ever being able to enforce this is a court of law, as they would have to prove that you knowingly entered into a contract with them in the first place and then they would have to prove any losses incurred as a result of your naughty parking antics!
    Just ignore it as making contact with them acknowledges that you were driving the car or have knowledge of who was driving the car. Lets face it they dont have the right to ask who was behind the wheel at the time....

It really annoys me that the DVLA are willing to sell our details to these private companies! The way they operate is disgusting and I can imagine they do make a fair bit of money out of the unsuspecting folk amongst us
    2006 Audi A3 1.6 SE 3dr 102bhp

4th Gear

Status
    I once got a similar thing from a BP garage up at gatwick, stopped there bought something to eat, ate it in the car and then pumped up the tyres a bit and checked the oil. was only there 20 minutes and it was 75 if I paid now and then 150 14 days later or something. I was up there on company business so the company paid for it but later found out I could have just tolded them to shove it
    Sam,

Gone

North East Forum Moderator

Status
    Had this last week in McDonalds...

I forgot my house keys so had to wait for my gf to finish work so I went to McD's for my tea. Stayed for 1hr 45 (max stay was 1 hr) and received 50 notice from a private firm.

I went to McDonalds and fought it, they checked CCTV to make sure I actually got some food there and then revoked it...

Website | Facebook | Audi TT 2.0TDI 170 Quattro

Brum brum

Status
    Yep, the thing with McDonalds has been on Watchdog the past couple of weeks. As holderd said, you can just ignore it and that was their recommendation. They just make it sound threatening and hope that people get scared and pay up.

Here is the link:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/watchdog/...s_parking.html

As mentioned, if it ever went to court (which it never would do as the company would know they would lose) the onus would be on the firm issuing the fine to prove that you were aware of the contract that you were entering into by parking where you did. This has never been successfully proven in case law, hence the reason why they won't risk taking you to court.

Rest easy and ignore it.
    Jason
    2001 Nogaro S3 (daily driver)

1958 replica Porsche 356 Speedster (summer posing)
    1997 Seat Cordoba SX 16v (track day toy) replacing (t)rusty 1994 Seat Ibiza GTi RIP

Neutral

Status
    This happened to me 6 months ago. As already said DON'T respond to any letters.

After 5 incresingly threatening letters they gave up. Parking Company, then debt collector and finally from a solicitor. I did notice that they all traded from the same address though..........!

Keep any letters you receive for your own records and don't worry about it. (my opinion anyway)
    Drives - 2010 2.0Tdi 140 Sportback Sport stop/start
    Brilliant Black + Cruise + Ambient light + Chrome exhaust + Tinted windows + Bury Bluetooth Kit + Mudflaps.

Spooly Spooly Boosty Boosty!

Status
    Send a letter back that reads thus:

"Hahahaha, No."

That is all
    Cheap and Reliable is not Fast. Cheap and Fast is not Reliable. Fast and Reliable is not Cheap!

North East Forum Moderator

Status
    Also include a bit of poo in the evelope.

Website | Facebook | Audi TT 2.0TDI 170 Quattro

..... (_!_) Sarah's A3s #1 Fan
    Railway Line Champion

Status
    This happened to me too, just ignore the letters and you'll probably get quite a few, on the FINAL demand to pay up, write back saying that you are the owner of the car and that there has been no mention of the driver in any of the letters addressed to you etc. Tell them to stop writing to you as it is harrasment under an act in the law (can't remember details)
    Audi A6 Avant (2002) 2.5 V6 Quattro. Sunroof, Bluetooth mp3 Xcarlink, 6cd, xenons, tints, ST3, 18" RS6s
    I have VCDS and I'm not afraid to use it, well, a little bit?

6th gear @7000rpm

Status
    Tell them to shove a stick up their bum. I got clamped at my flat parking because my permit fell on the floor behind a water bottle that was on the floor to. Had to pay 45 to get it off! Im in the process of getting it back though!
    Quote Originally Posted by <tuffty/> View Post
    its either mapped or broken...

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Gops View Post
    Tell them to shove a stick up their bum. I got clamped at my flat parking because my permit fell on the floor behind a water bottle that was on the floor to. Had to pay 45 to get it off! Im in the process of getting it back though!
    cordless dewalt grinder FTW