Insurance company wanting £174 for changing to a personalised reg???

audi58

Reaction score
I'm with RAC and just changed my number plates to a new private registration, I phoned them up to notify them of the number plate change and they're wanting to screw another £174.13 out of me. They say having a new plate highers the risk of an accident and if the car was written off then they'd have fees for getting the plates changed over or something?

What can I do?

You need to cancle the policy and go somewhere else!! That is rubbish both myself and Mark have private plates and I think we got charged 20quid for new papers but I moaned so much about that, I didnt have to pay!
Seriously is there anything in the small print about it??

I've just had a flick through the policy details and can't find anything. The only thing I found was 'Administration Fee' which says 'All policy amendments are subject to a £20 administration fee'.

I'd have thought that is what they'd have charged me? :confused:

The biggest Giraffe of them all mate!!!

Kick off with them, it should only be a admin charge thats to be taken!!

There is an insurance section on here, it might be worth posting in there to see if you can get some defo correct advise on this.

Shout and scream at them mate, they are just picking on the vulnerable and trying it on!! Refuse to pay it and ask to speak to someone in higher authority. If all else fails, threten them with the insurence ombudsmun (other spellings available) that usuly makes them poo and give in :)

Hope you get it sorted

As everyone else said, just go to a new company. When I changed my plate, I didn't get charged anything.

Just had another go at ringing them up and complaining and they're not going to do anything. :blownose:

I was told it's down to the underwriters policy and that changes to a vehicles registration that makes it more desirable increases the premium by percentage.

I was considering changing companies but RAC are the cheapest by far, £1700 with the next cheapest is about £2200.

They told be it's more susceptible to theft!?!

****** ridiculous! £154 premium and £20 admin!!:banghead:

Ludicrous! Tell em to F-off. Hunt around or you'll end up paying another £174 anyway. I've had private plates for years, swapped my plates from cars to bikes, ll sorts and NEVER been charged. This "more desirable" tosh they spout is their way to justify the unjustifiable. A private plate is or isn't more desirable depending on who's stealing it and why as it draws more attention to someone who'd not want more attention. Shopping-List thefts are for top-end marks so unless you've got one of those ... they#re talking crap.

Got to admit, it's a joke tell them you had to change reg plates out of your control, and the new one is XXXXX, it's not a private plate tell them.

I was told it's down to the underwriters policy and that changes to a vehicles registration that makes it more desirable increases the premium by percentage.

They told be it's more susceptible to theft!?!

Yes, if i was going to nick a motor, i would deffo choose one that said To$$er over a normal plate

Sorry if that offends anyone, but i don't like personal plates, i mean, what is the point?

Tell them to poke it mate. Give SKY a bell as they quoted me very attarctively and then my current insurer HIC mnatched it. I would expect an admin fee and nothing else. Bunch of jokers

have you told them your going to have to cancel the policy, say youve had a quote for £1700 else where. If they say ok, but you cant find anything cheaper, youll have to just phone them back up again lol.

Yeah, I know! It's lots, but I am only 18. :happy:

Has come down lots, as I was with NFU for 1st year and had to pay £3900! :ohmy:

1 years no claims definitely helps!

what tripe i was only charge 18 quid if i recall it was just an admin fee for the switch