AH FabricationsMonster Motorsport
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    BillTheButcher's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    132

    Selling private plates

    Hello.

    I should be picking up my B6 S4 later this week.

    It's currently got private plates on it which I want to remove and sell on ASAP.

    I already have a quote from regtransfers.co.uk but are there any other sites/companies that people would recommend?

    Also, as I understand it, the process is:
    - Fill in the form and pay the DVLA 105 to keep the private plate on retention so that I can sell it.
    - The DVLA send me the car's original plates (or an equivalent if they've been used elsewhere).
    - I sell the private plates and fit the originals.

    Am I missing anything?

    Cheers.

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    smudge_don's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sutton, Surrey
    Posts
    2,941
    That's pretty much it from what i've heard before matey
    Currently driving a 55 plate Ford Mondeo ST. But as Arnie once said...


    I'll be back!!!

  4. #3
    jojo's Avatar
    S3 Drift King!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Solihull, Midlands
    Posts
    24,846
    Quote Originally Posted by BillTheButcher View Post
    Hello.

    I should be picking up my B6 S4 later this week.

    It's currently got private plates on it which I want to remove and sell on ASAP.

    I already have a quote from regtransfers.co.uk but are there any other sites/companies that people would recommend?

    Also, as I understand it, the process is:
    - Fill in the form and pay the DVLA 105 to keep the private plate on retention so that I can sell it.
    - The DVLA send me the car's original plates (or an equivalent if they've been used elsewhere).
    - I sell the private plates and fit the originals.

    Am I missing anything?

    Cheers.
    The 105 fee is broken down as 80 to remove from car and get original plate(or one that represents the age of car) registered to your car, and 25 to retain the private plate for 12 months, you will need to pay 25 annually to retain it. Also, on a retained numberplate certificate, there is a 'Nominee'(usually it's the owner of the vehicle, or the name on the V5C document), and that's the only person who can make use of the plate. Say if you your private plate to a Mr. John Smith, you would need to add Mr. John Smith as a nominee, which is even more charges from DVLA.


    99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh!



  5. #4
    BillTheButcher's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    132
    Thanks jojo.

    What a ballache! So there's no way to just sell the plate? As the person named on the V5 I have to nominate a new nominee if I want to sell the plates to someone else?

  6. #5
    jojo's Avatar
    S3 Drift King!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Solihull, Midlands
    Posts
    24,846
    Quote Originally Posted by BillTheButcher View Post
    Thanks jojo.

    What a ballache! So there's no way to just sell the plate? As the person named on the V5 I have to nominate a new nominee if I want to sell the plates to someone else?
    Not so much of a ballache, but if you sell your plate to someone whilst it's on retention, then you need to add the other persons name on the nominee list for them to use it. You can add the nominee name during the retention of the plate, or transfer it directly to another car for 80, so the plate never gets retained... kinda complex, but simple once you have done it a few times.


    99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh!



  7. #6
    BillTheButcher's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    132
    Thanks again. Sounds like it would be best to have a buyer lined up before I put it on retention so I can do the whole lot in one go.

  8. #7
    johnnythepie's Avatar
    handcrankywannkyspanky

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Coventry
    Posts
    2,174
    Interested as to what the number is.I know from previous dealings with regtransfers is that you get about a third of what they get for it.Id stick it on ebay myself.
    Pass me my sock

    Want to help cure cancer? http://folding.stanford.edu/English/HomePage

  9. #8
    BillTheButcher's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    132
    Quote Originally Posted by john herman View Post
    Interested as to what the number is.I know from previous dealings with regtransfers is that you get about a third of what they get for it.Id stick it on ebay myself.
    PM on the way.

  10. #9
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    12
    Have a look at http://www.theprivateplatecompany.co.uk/ I know they have a section for selling plates....

    Cheers
    Cliff

  11. #10
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    12
    You're welcome.
    Cliff

  12. #11
    BillTheButcher's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    132
    The reg has been up for sale with 4 different companies for over a month now but no joy yet. I've debadged the car so I really want to get shot of the plates. I find it embarrassing driving around with them on TBH.

  13. #12
    Dazmo's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Leicestershire
    Posts
    1,775
    Quote Originally Posted by BillTheButcher View Post
    The reg has been up for sale with 4 different companies for over a month now but no joy yet. I've debadged the car so I really want to get shot of the plates. I find it embarrassing driving around with them on TBH.
    It took me almost 8 months to sell my plates, its just luck mate. Put it on ebay wouldnt bother with those plate sites.


    Maritus Blue Audi A4 3.0 V6 S-Line TDi 275bhp, 585nm Torque

  14. #13
    BillTheButcher's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    132
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazmo View Post
    It took me almost 8 months to sell my plates, its just luck mate. Put it on ebay wouldnt bother with those plate sites.
    8 months???

    If I put it on eBay will I have to put it on retention or can I keep driving around on them while the transfer's taking place?

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO