Selling private plates

BillTheButcher

Reaction score
Hello.

I should be picking up my B6 S4 later this week. :s4addict:

It's currently got private plates on it which I want to remove and sell on ASAP.

I already have a quote from regtransfers.co.uk but are there any other sites/companies that people would recommend?

Also, as I understand it, the process is:
- Fill in the form and pay the DVLA £105 to keep the private plate on retention so that I can sell it.
- The DVLA send me the car's original plates (or an equivalent if they've been used elsewhere).
- I sell the private plates and fit the originals.

Am I missing anything?

Cheers. :icon_thumright:

Hello.

I should be picking up my B6 S4 later this week. :s4addict:

It's currently got private plates on it which I want to remove and sell on ASAP.

I already have a quote from regtransfers.co.uk but are there any other sites/companies that people would recommend?

Also, as I understand it, the process is:
- Fill in the form and pay the DVLA £105 to keep the private plate on retention so that I can sell it.
- The DVLA send me the car's original plates (or an equivalent if they've been used elsewhere).
- I sell the private plates and fit the originals.

Am I missing anything?

Cheers. :icon_thumright:

The £105 fee is broken down as £80 to remove from car and get original plate(or one that represents the age of car) registered to your car, and £25 to retain the private plate for 12 months, you will need to pay £25 annually to retain it. Also, on a retained numberplate certificate, there is a 'Nominee'(usually it's the owner of the vehicle, or the name on the V5C document), and that's the only person who can make use of the plate. Say if you your private plate to a Mr. John Smith, you would need to add Mr. John Smith as a nominee, which is even more charges from DVLA.

Thanks jojo. :)

What a ballache! So there's no way to just sell the plate? As the person named on the V5 I have to nominate a new nominee if I want to sell the plates to someone else?

Thanks jojo. :)

What a ballache! So there's no way to just sell the plate? As the person named on the V5 I have to nominate a new nominee if I want to sell the plates to someone else?

Not so much of a ballache, but if you sell your plate to someone whilst it's on retention, then you need to add the other persons name on the nominee list for them to use it. You can add the nominee name during the retention of the plate, or transfer it directly to another car for £80, so the plate never gets retained... kinda complex, but simple once you have done it a few times.

Thanks again. Sounds like it would be best to have a buyer lined up before I put it on retention so I can do the whole lot in one go.

Interested as to what the number is.I know from previous dealings with regtransfers is that you get about a third of what they get for it.Id stick it on ebay myself.

The reg has been up for sale with 4 different companies for over a month now but no joy yet. I've debadged the car so I really want to get shot of the plates. I find it embarrassing driving around with them on TBH.

The reg has been up for sale with 4 different companies for over a month now but no joy yet. I've debadged the car so I really want to get shot of the plates. I find it embarrassing driving around with them on TBH.

It took me almost 8 months to sell my plates, its just luck mate. Put it on ebay wouldnt bother with those plate sites.

It took me almost 8 months to sell my plates, its just luck mate. Put it on ebay wouldnt bother with those plate sites.
8 months??? :faint:

If I put it on eBay will I have to put it on retention or can I keep driving around on them while the transfer's taking place?