Monster MotorsportEM Tuning
    Beer God

Status

Speed Camera Question.

If a gatso is mounted on the opposite side of the road facing towards you and it flashes am I gonna get a bill for Ł60 in two weeks time? I was half asleep and blundered through it doing 35ish (ah b*ll*cks!) but there was a car on the other side of the road and also some dick in a Lexus infront of me driving like a nob so Im not 100% it was me anyway

It was one of these, to make matters worse Ive driven past it a million times before...

Volvo V50 D5 R-Design

2. # ADS
    ADS

S3 Drift King!

Status
    I've had plenty of Scameras flash me going to wards them, nothing in the post at all. Don't think it's legal to fine you this way, as the flash effects your vision when you are heading towards it!

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh! For Sale:LCR Brakes - ÂŁ400

Beer God

Status
    Ah ok thanks thats promising, in Germany they all face forwards and have tremendous flashes, sometimes even bright purple...

Never been had a speeding fine in the UK though so fingers crossed.
    Volvo V50 D5 R-Design

Status

My Social Networking

Follow quattrojames On Twitter Add quattrojames on Facebook
    You'll be ok with that, guaranteed

Gatso can't get you as you approach them.
    Ingolstance Read about my A6 HERE.

5th Gear

Status
    yer they aint allowed to flash you in the face, not in the uk anyway

the ones that face towards you are digital and dont flash, got done by one few years back

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by quattrojames View Post
    You'll be ok with that, guaranteed

Gatso can't get you as you approach them.

James is spot on - They can't calculate your speed and aren't set to do so. You're ok mate

3rd Gear

Status

Re: Speed Camera Question.

As the others stated, you'll be fine mate! Happens to me all the time with one particular camera!
    Audi TT - 2.0TFSI - Ibis White

is a retronaut

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by unkle View Post
    Ah ok thanks thats promising, in Germany they all face forwards and have tremendous flashes, sometimes even bright purple...

Never been had a speeding fine in the UK though so fingers crossed.
    Yeah been done a fair few times in Germany. They were always hidden in a car at the side of the road. So far nothing in the UK though
    8P2 S3

For advice on Air Con problems please read my FAQs.
    To find ASN members with VCDS check out the MAP.

5th Gear

Status
    also to add to the speed point. if your doing 38 and under in a 30 and get flashed by a camera then you stand a high chance of getting offered the speed awareness course which is around Ł60 and no points

S3 Drift King!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by scott b View Post
    also to add to the speed point. if your doing 38 and under in a 30 and get flashed by a camera then you stand a high chance of getting offered the speed awareness course which is around Ł60 and no points
    Not if you're in Solihull, missus got done for 36 in a 30, 3 points and 60 quid!

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh! For Sale:LCR Brakes - ÂŁ400

Spooly Spooly Boosty Boosty!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jonny87 View Post
    yer they aint allowed to flash you in the face, not in the uk anyway
    Not quite true.

They can't get you going forwards because they calculate your speed from the distance travelled between the two photos. Therefore they'll get a shot of the roof of your car and a second one of the road where you used to be...
    Cheap and Reliable is not Fast. Cheap and Fast is not Reliable. Fast and Reliable is not Cheap!

is a retronaut

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Keeno View Post
    Not quite true.

They can't get you going forwards because they calculate your speed from the distance travelled between the two photos. Therefore they'll get a shot of the roof of your car and a second one of the road where you used to be...
    Not sure where you got that from but there's no reason why they wouldn't be able to take two photos of you whilst you're still coming towards the camera.
    8P2 S3

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Staz View Post
    Not sure where you got that from but there's no reason why they wouldn't be able to take two photos of you whilst you're still coming towards the camera.
    They do have front facing camera's in some regions (Portsmouth and Southampton have these).

is a retronaut

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Good 2 B A Gooner View Post
    They do have front facing camera's in some regions (Portsmouth and Southampton have these).
    Er yeah I know bud, they have them everywhere, I was replying to Keeno.
    8P2 S3

Smell my finger.

Status
    The yellow one in the picture is a GATSO, they have the ability to get you from the front HOWEVER they are not Home Office approved for forward facing speed detection in the UK. The pinciple is the same, the 2 pictures are taken as you go over the lines then the ticket office look at the pictures and measure how many lines you have gone over between the 2 pictures...distance over time gives your speed.

The only ones that get you from the front in this country are the Truvelo type, like this...

These dont require any road markings to pinch you either...or a flash

T
    2000 Audi A3 1.8T Sport - Custom Code Phase 1 remap / Custom Stainless Catback Exhuast / MKII 18" RS4 Reps / Wietec Ultra GT40mm / KW ARB's / Forge TIP / Forge 007 / Green Panel Filter / EBC Greenstuff pads / 312mm S3 front brake upgrade / Aero Wipers / LED Interior Lights / LED Side Repeaters / Face Lift Rear Lights and covered in Dodo Juice

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Staz View Post
    Er yeah I know bud, they have them everywhere, I was replying to Keeno.
    I've never seen them in london as TfL don't use them - They have new ones on test on the A3 though!

Pii
    4th Gear

Status

Re: Speed Camera Question.

Sorry to go off topic but if your license is sent off and doesn't come back with 3 points stamped anywhere (actual offense stamped) then does that mean you haven't lost points?

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Keeno View Post
    Not quite true.

unfortunatley dude im living proof that you're wrong, got done by one of these forward facing jobbies out by stratford a few years ago on the way to silverstone, was over taking someone at the time too so i thought my number plate may have been out of shot, but no such luck

Smell my finger.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jonny87 View Post
    unfortunatley dude im living proof that you're wrong, got done by one of these forward facing jobbies out by stratford a few years ago on the way to silverstone, was over taking someone at the time too so i thought my number plate may have been out of shot, but no such luck
    You wont have been pinched by a GATSO buddy.
    2000 Audi A3 1.8T Sport - Custom Code Phase 1 remap / Custom Stainless Catback Exhuast / MKII 18" RS4 Reps / Wietec Ultra GT40mm / KW ARB's / Forge TIP / Forge 007 / Green Panel Filter / EBC Greenstuff pads / 312mm S3 front brake upgrade / Aero Wipers / LED Interior Lights / LED Side Repeaters / Face Lift Rear Lights and covered in Dodo Juice

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by A3Tom View Post
    Tom's right - The people i work with service these, and as Tom says they can't do you frontways - Musr have been one on your side also!

Beer God

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by scott b View Post
    Im still on my German driving license so they can shove the points up their a***.

Its the Ł60 Im more concerned about better in my pocket than theirs...

Thanks for all the replies, Ive been a good lad since returning from Germany its the first time Ive been flashed, think Ive done 90k worth of driving in the two years Ive been back hopefully Ive escaped. *touchwood*
    Last edited by unkle; 28th March 2010 at 22:17.
    Volvo V50 D5 R-Design

6th Gear

Status
    If it was a Gatso and not a Truvelo and you were travelling towards it when it flashed then you are fine, Promise

Life begins at 140mph
    Sell my Audi??? Kiss my rings!
    www.passionford.com

8L > 8P > 8V

Status
    What if you were on the wrong side of the road, driving towards a Gatso? Overtaking and speeding, for example.

Also, what if there are marking on both sides of the road, is it just a scare tactic?
    '02 A3 TDI quattro sport

8L IS DE BEST

Status

My Social Networking

The markings on the other side of the road are to prevent you just going onto the other carriageway to miss the camera, or to get you if you're overtaking.

Smell my finger.

Status
    Yep, I get them through at work where I'm on the wrong side of the road overtaking stuff. Stops sneaky people using the opposite lane to avoid being zapped!.

Buggers have thought of everything!

is a retronaut

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Good 2 B A Gooner View Post
    Tom's right - The people i work with service these, and as Tom says they can't do you frontways - Musr have been one on your side also!
    This all all getting a bit confused. Jonny and I were both saying that Keeno was wrong saying the forwards facing cameras (not the Gatsos) cannot take your photo.
    8P2 S3

Smell my finger.

Status
    They take a photo but they get binned as the prosecution hasnt been authorised by the home office.

So if you go towards one over the limit and it flashed when they upload the pics etc they will see it and bin it...no further action.

So in short you might get a flash but you certainly wont get a ticket off a GATSO from driving towards it.

VX220 SC Driver :)

Status
    If in doubt, just do what the lot round my way do. Either wrap a tyre round it and set it on fire, or steal a car, park it underneath and set it on fire.

Either way - fire is involved....

The one in question looked very much like this:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Marriage is like a coffin and each kid is another nail."
    Homer Simpson

is a retronaut

Status
    They take a photo but they get binned as the prosecution hasnt been authorised by the home office.

So if you go towards one over the limit and it flashed when they upload the pics etc they will see it and bin it...no further action.

So in short you might get a flash but you certainly wont get a ticket off a GATSO from driving towards it.
    Ok but I was saying that the Truvelo cameras CAN take your photo, twice, that's all.

A Gatso shouldn't take your photo if you drive towards it because it SHOULD have been programmed to only accept detections of speeds in excess of the pre-set limit in one direction. I see no reason why they wouldn't have included that simple bit of hardware to prevent confusion and a waste of film.
    8P2 S3

Smell my finger.

Status
    I know, which is why I was talking about GATSO's stating that it wouldnt have been a GATSO that caught the poster out when driving towards it

is a retronaut

Status
    Seen!
    8P2 S3

Status

My Social Networking

THIS is quite an interesting thread in relation to the original question.

Beer God

Status
    Oh just an update went past the same camera Saturday morning again, realised there arent markings on the side of the road I was on (facing towards the camera on the other side of the road) still keeping my fingers crossed...
    Volvo V50 D5 R-Design