Monster MotorsportChris Nott
    Reverse Gear

Status

Pre Cut Window Tinting?

Quick one really, is it really worth taking the risk, are there success stories or is it just a no go and should I stop being a tightarse? lol.

Nice one,

John.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Now running on Bentley's y'all

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ScouseA3 View Post
    is it really worth taking the risk
    No!

should I stop being a tightarse?
    Yes!
    A3 3.2 V6 S-Line | Brilliant Black | Full Votex Kit | 18" Cades Bern / 19" Bentley 5 Spokes in flat grey with 215/35 Falkens | Custom Code Remap
    V-Maxx coilovers | Remus exhaust | Pipercross Viper | Goodridge Brake Lines | RNS-E | Bluetooth | FBMFSW
    Previous VAGs: 99 S4 Biturbo | 06 Golf GT TDI | 08 A4 S-Line TDI PD140 | 02 Passat 4.0 W8
    Other toy: Suzuki GSX-R750 K3 Black/Silver

Leather arm rest for sale | S3 mirror covers for sale | 09 3dr tail lights wanted | Twin grills wanted PM me!

Reverse Gear

Status
    end of thread! ta mate!

Status
    end of thread! ta mate!
    Sorry I could have been more help.

Pre cut film is easier than cutting rolls if you're not experienced, but it's highly unlikely you'll get the finish of a professional window tinter. Even a lot of window tinting companies struggle to do a good job, so really hard for a DIY job. It doesn't have to be expensive for a pro job, and is well worth the extra. I got my rear windows and back screen done for about Ł150, and you'd struggle to tell the difference between that and factory tints.
    A3 3.2 V6 S-Line | Brilliant Black | Full Votex Kit | 18" Cades Bern / 19" Bentley 5 Spokes in flat grey with 215/35 Falkens | Custom Code Remap
    V-Maxx coilovers | Remus exhaust | Pipercross Viper | Goodridge Brake Lines | RNS-E | Bluetooth | FBMFSW
    Previous VAGs: 99 S4 Biturbo | 06 Golf GT TDI | 08 A4 S-Line TDI PD140 | 02 Passat 4.0 W8

Leather arm rest for sale | S3 mirror covers for sale | 09 3dr tail lights wanted | Twin grills wanted PM me!

(●̮̮̃•̃) (●̮̮̃•̃)

Status
    I've been quoted around Ł250 to get mine done by a few different companies.

But I do have more doors than you

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by scottie123 View Post
    I've been quoted around Ł250 to get mine done by a few different companies.

But I do have more doors than you
    Or "spare doors" as I call them...

(●̮̮̃•̃) (●̮̮̃•̃)

Status
    LOL

3rd Gear

Status
    Around here a LOT of people tint their cars. _As a result there are a LOT of tinters and most of them work full-time. There are -as a consequence- Lots of VERY experienced tinters...

And I am stunned by how good the guys who did mine were. -I recently took the trim off the back hatch (sportback) and saw how far behind the trim they went, and how neatly they did the job...

Also my right front window regulator was replaced under warranty, and I took a look at the "hidden" part of the tint job while the door was apart... -STUNNING.

They also did my open-skye glass. all 5 doors plus the roof for about $400, which is probably right in the Ł250 range, using the expensive ceramic stuff...

I could NEVER do the same level of work without 2 or 3 years experience, so I heartily recommend paying an experienced bloke who guarantees your satisfaction. -Bak windows are a b*tch to do, and nobody thinks a bubbly tint application looks any good!

Keith

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by VWAddict View Post
    Around here a LOT of people tint their cars. _As a result there are a LOT of tinters and most of them work full-time. There are -as a consequence- Lots of VERY experienced tinters...

And I am stunned by how good the guys who did mine were. -I recently took the trim off the back hatch (sportback) and saw how far behind the trim they went, and how neatly they did the job...

Also my right front window regulator was replaced under warranty, and I took a look at the "hidden" part of the tint job while the door was apart... -STUNNING.

They also did my open-skye glass. all 5 doors plus the roof for about $400, which is probably right in the Ł250 range, using the expensive ceramic stuff...

I could NEVER do the same level of work without 2 or 3 years experience, so I heartily recommend paying an experienced bloke who guarantees your satisfaction. -Bak windows are a b*tch to do, and nobody thinks a bubbly tint application looks any good!

Keith
    Agreed on all above points!

Reverse Gear

Status
    If i were you i would keep away from the pre-cut pack, they may seem easier but its often cheap vinyl dyed film, and dosnt mention the shrinking techniques that you would need to correctly apply it, if you let me know where you are in the country, i could reccomend someone and they would be good.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Hi mate, I am in Liverpool but am willing to travel if you have good contacts? Cheers.

Reverse Gear

Status
    once, were easy enough to do but slightly cut short.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Give Ian a call at 121, tell him Andy from Firstglass passed his details, he does high quality work- 07791 313507