Audi GAP Insurance

deano670

Too Much Hype
Reaction score
Website
www.pixelhype.co.uk
Im wondering if I should take the Audi Gap Insurance for my new BE.

The dealer says that it should be £700 but there is always a deal to be had '£500'.

You get the general GAP policy and also a dint/scratch repair scheme. If you incur cosmetic damage to your car 'say a scratch' a mobile repair shop will come out to you and fix it 'fully Audi certified' using full Audi parts etc.

Have you had any experience with this product and GAP insurance in general. Is it worth its money? 'insurance for insurance'.

* sorry if this is in the wrong section - couldn't think of where to put this post.

I had Audi Gap insurance when I bought my A3 but just check the level of cover before signing. Like a fool I bargained with them and got the price down but the cover went down aswell which I didn't notice. You will need to factor in the fact that your car will be worth roughly half of its value in 3 years time.(see top gear values for a good guide) My A4 was just over 25K so took cover for 15K over 3 years which worked out about £200 from click4gap. Alot cheaper than Audi.

Definately get it if you bought on finance as if you loose your car then normal insurance will only pay book price (although in first 12 months most policy's will replace).

cheers guys - you have opened my eyes to Gap Insurance.

It seems that Audi are over charging. I do like the sound of their cosmetic damage repair scheme - but is this worth the extra ££

i paid 20k a year ago for my a3. audi wanted £460 for 3 years cover,after i searched the net and took some advice, i found it for £126 with gap insurance online. after several phone calls from audi, they agreed on the day of purchase they would let me have it for £130. Thats full cover for three years. Dont give in with them, they can do it cheaper, it just means less profit for them.
Im wondering if I should take the Audi Gap Insurance for my new BE.

The dealer says that it should be £700 but there is always a deal to be had '£500'.

You get the general GAP policy and also a dint/scratch repair scheme. If you incur cosmetic damage to your car 'say a scratch' a mobile repair shop will come out to you and fix it 'fully Audi certified' using full Audi parts etc.

Have you had any experience with this product and GAP insurance in general. Is it worth its money? 'insurance for insurance'.

* sorry if this is in the wrong section - couldn't think of where to put this post.

Thank Christ for this thread. I just picked up my replacement S3 2 weeks ago and still have the dealers GAP spiel ringing in my ears! I took out the full whack GAP on my Ibis S3 only to have Audi change the car for a new one as it was having severe mechanical issues. They said there was no way they could transfer the GAP (over £400!!) and that I needed to take out new GAP. So, as a "goodwill" gesture, they offered me 3 years at £349.00.

I'm at the point of panic thinking I definitely need GAP. Now I can get online and cheaper to boot - ecstatic to say the least!

However, having had a quick look, I'm getting various quotes. I take it that this is like shopping around for car insurance?

Here's what I've got:
1. Gap Insurance Online - RTI GAP Settlement up to £20,000 over 3 years = £173.00
2. Car Gap Insuranace - up to £20,000 over 3 years = £134.00
3. Click4Gap - RTI GAP up to £20,000 over 3 years = £217.00

Am I being daft and should just plump for the cheapest? Click4Gap also offer Vehicle Replacement GAP, but I can't see any significant difference to the RTI, apart from the replacement vehicle as opposed to the shortfall payment between the insurance payout and the invoice cost.

Can anyone shed any light and propose some advice? Sorry if I'm being thick here, but you start to worry and it eats away at you. Thanks in advance.

when i ordered my A3 B E in feb my dealer offered me GAP insurance at £500 , I said no way i have got a qoute for £150 on the web and they matched it there and then , and it was full return to invoice cover .
so there is obvoiusly a good mark up on it . Tthe £ 350 i saved will cover tax and insurance for 12 months

Sounds good. So do you reckon I head into Audi (got to anyway as they got the inlays in the car wrong, doh!), present them with the figures from online, minus the expensive one and get them to match it? If they don't match it, walk away and buy online?

Sounds good. So do you reckon I head into Audi (got to anyway as they got the inlays in the car wrong, doh!), present them with the figures from online, minus the expensive one and get them to match it? If they don't match it, walk away and buy online?

yes go for it you have nothing to lose , they will lose your money if you walk , then its there loss , ask if the can match the best price as a good will gesture , remember they want you back
for a service and other bits and bobs you may buy during your audi ownership

Im going to give Audi a ring this week and ask them if they can match the cheapest offer that ive found... got nothing to loose really.

OK, cool. Sorry to bang on about this, but from my 3 quotes, I'm obviously going to go in with the cheapest one. But, is there a difference between these companies? I hope no one has any first hand experience, but are there any horror stories about any of these companies? You often hear that cheapest isn't always the best or is it a case of any kind of GAP insurance is better than none at all?

OK, cool. Sorry to bang on about this, but from my 3 quotes, I'm obviously going to go in with the cheapest one. But, is there a difference between these companies? I hope no one has any first hand experience, but are there any horror stories about any of these companies? You often hear that cheapest isn't always the best or is it a case of any kind of GAP insurance is better than none at all?

Im also wondering about this. I need to sort out my gap insurance this afternoon.

Im thinking of going with surfandprotect. I will also contact Audi to see if they can match the quote.

My best quote:

£163.28 with Forts - return to invoice.

Last edited:
I would advise to check what level of cover they offer. I have Audi Asset Protection Plus and the policy states

In the event of a motor insurer declaring the insured vehicle a total loss due to fire, an accident or theft of the insured vehicle, the policy will pay the greater of:

- the difference between the comprehensive road risks motor policy settlement and the purchase price, subject to the claim limit detailed on the schedule. This includes upto £100 of the insurance excess (if applicable).

Or

- the difference between the comprehensive road risks motor policy settlement and the balance outstanding on your finance agreement (excluding arrears), subject to the claim limit detailed on the schedule. This includes upto £100 of the insurance excess (if applicable).

In my case the invoice price is £30k, the claim limit is £25k. If my car is declared a total loss after 2 years and the insurance company only pay £15k the gap insurance will pay £15k, which means I can go get a £30k car. Not a bad deal if the worst thing happens. I paid £499 in sept last year.