AH FabricationsChris Nott
    Too Much Hype

Status

Audi GAP Insurance

Im wondering if I should take the Audi Gap Insurance for my new BE.

The dealer says that it should be Ł700 but there is always a deal to be had 'Ł500'.

You get the general GAP policy and also a dint/scratch repair scheme. If you incur cosmetic damage to your car 'say a scratch' a mobile repair shop will come out to you and fix it 'fully Audi certified' using full Audi parts etc.

Have you had any experience with this product and GAP insurance in general. Is it worth its money? 'insurance for insurance'.

* sorry if this is in the wrong section - couldn't think of where to put this post.

2. # ADS
    ADS

``!!$al ---

Status
    Hi Mate ,

Gap insurance is a MUST thing if you've bought the car on finance and even if you've paid for it in cash Gap insurance is generally a good idea .. Have a look at this thread http://audi-sport.net/vb/showthread....-GAP-Insurance ..

Sal
    Last edited by ST09; 14th March 2010 at 21:50.
    '12 Merc Benz C250 AMG Sport Auto
    '11
    BMW 325i Sports Coupe
    (Sold)
    '11 Merc Benz C250 Sport
    (Sold)
    '59
    A3 2.0 TDI Black Edition (Sold)
    '08 Mini John Cooper Works (Write Off)
    '09 A3 2.0 TDI Black Edition (Sold)
    '58 BMW 120M Sport (Sold)

On Wish List : Merc CL63 AMG Coupe

3rd Gear

Status
    I had Audi Gap insurance when I bought my A3 but just check the level of cover before signing. Like a fool I bargained with them and got the price down but the cover went down aswell which I didn't notice. You will need to factor in the fact that your car will be worth roughly half of its value in 3 years time.(see top gear values for a good guide) My A4 was just over 25K so took cover for 15K over 3 years which worked out about Ł200 from click4gap. Alot cheaper than Audi.

Definately get it if you bought on finance as if you loose your car then normal insurance will only pay book price (although in first 12 months most policy's will replace).
    2013 A5 2.0 TDI (177) Black Edition

[s]2012 A1 1.4TFSI (185ps) Black Edition[s]

[s]MY2010 A4 1.8T (160) S-Line executive in brilliant Red[/s]

[s]2008 A3 TDI S-Line Cabriolet 8P3[/s]

A4 (B8) Door warning light and Glovebox retrofits. A1 Heated Mirrors Retrofit

Too Much Hype

Status
    cheers guys - you have opened my eyes to Gap Insurance.

It seems that Audi are over charging. I do like the sound of their cosmetic damage repair scheme - but is this worth the extra ŁŁ

Gazza

Status
    i paid 20k a year ago for my a3. audi wanted Ł460 for 3 years cover,after i searched the net and took some advice, i found it for Ł126 with gap insurance online. after several phone calls from audi, they agreed on the day of purchase they would let me have it for Ł130. Thats full cover for three years. Dont give in with them, they can do it cheaper, it just means less profit for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by deano670 View Post
    Im wondering if I should take the Audi Gap Insurance for my new BE.

The dealer says that it should be Ł700 but there is always a deal to be had 'Ł500'.

You get the general GAP policy and also a dint/scratch repair scheme. If you incur cosmetic damage to your car 'say a scratch' a mobile repair shop will come out to you and fix it 'fully Audi certified' using full Audi parts etc.

Have you had any experience with this product and GAP insurance in general. Is it worth its money? 'insurance for insurance'.

* sorry if this is in the wrong section - couldn't think of where to put this post.

Neutral

Status
    yeah my negotiation started at 500 as the rrp

that was only last month as well

Too Much Hype

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Owen View Post
    yeah my negotiation started at 500 as the rrp

that was only last month as well
    do you get the minor repair service?

Sprint Blue is the new Ibis!

Status
    Thank Christ for this thread. I just picked up my replacement S3 2 weeks ago and still have the dealers GAP spiel ringing in my ears! I took out the full whack GAP on my Ibis S3 only to have Audi change the car for a new one as it was having severe mechanical issues. They said there was no way they could transfer the GAP (over Ł400!!) and that I needed to take out new GAP. So, as a "goodwill" gesture, they offered me 3 years at Ł349.00.

I'm at the point of panic thinking I definitely need GAP. Now I can get online and cheaper to boot - ecstatic to say the least!

However, having had a quick look, I'm getting various quotes. I take it that this is like shopping around for car insurance?

Here's what I've got:
    1. Gap Insurance Online - RTI GAP Settlement up to Ł20,000 over 3 years = Ł173.00
    2. Car Gap Insuranace - up to Ł20,000 over 3 years = Ł134.00
    3. Click4Gap - RTI GAP up to Ł20,000 over 3 years = Ł217.00

Am I being daft and should just plump for the cheapest? Click4Gap also offer Vehicle Replacement GAP, but I can't see any significant difference to the RTI, apart from the replacement vehicle as opposed to the shortfall payment between the insurance payout and the invoice cost.

Can anyone shed any light and propose some advice? Sorry if I'm being thick here, but you start to worry and it eats away at you. Thanks in advance.
    2010 Sprint Blue S3 Black Edition - Buckets & BBS CH Black's
    2008 Ibis White S3
    2006 Brilliant Black 2.0T S-Line Special Edition

1st Gear
    Bounce Back Champion

Status
    when i ordered my A3 B E in feb my dealer offered me GAP insurance at Ł500 , I said no way i have got a qoute for Ł150 on the web and they matched it there and then , and it was full return to invoice cover .
    so there is obvoiusly a good mark up on it . Tthe Ł 350 i saved will cover tax and insurance for 12 months

Status
    Sounds good. So do you reckon I head into Audi (got to anyway as they got the inlays in the car wrong, doh!), present them with the figures from online, minus the expensive one and get them to match it? If they don't match it, walk away and buy online?
    2008 Ibis White S3

1st Gear
    Bounce Back Champion

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by RicoS3 View Post
    Sounds good. So do you reckon I head into Audi (got to anyway as they got the inlays in the car wrong, doh!), present them with the figures from online, minus the expensive one and get them to match it? If they don't match it, walk away and buy online?
    yes go for it you have nothing to lose , they will lose your money if you walk , then its there loss , ask if the can match the best price as a good will gesture , remember they want you back
    for a service and other bits and bobs you may buy during your audi ownership

Too Much Hype

Status
    Im going to give Audi a ring this week and ask them if they can match the cheapest offer that ive found... got nothing to loose really.

Status
    OK, cool. Sorry to bang on about this, but from my 3 quotes, I'm obviously going to go in with the cheapest one. But, is there a difference between these companies? I hope no one has any first hand experience, but are there any horror stories about any of these companies? You often hear that cheapest isn't always the best or is it a case of any kind of GAP insurance is better than none at all?
    2008 Ibis White S3

Too Much Hype

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by RicoS3 View Post
    OK, cool. Sorry to bang on about this, but from my 3 quotes, I'm obviously going to go in with the cheapest one. But, is there a difference between these companies? I hope no one has any first hand experience, but are there any horror stories about any of these companies? You often hear that cheapest isn't always the best or is it a case of any kind of GAP insurance is better than none at all?
    Im also wondering about this. I need to sort out my gap insurance this afternoon.

Im thinking of going with surfandprotect. I will also contact Audi to see if they can match the quote.

My best quote:

Ł163.28 with Forts - return to invoice.
    Last edited by deano670; 18th March 2010 at 13:27.

Too Much Hype

Status
    Spoken with Audi... they wont/cant budge on the Ł590 price.

Neutral

Status
    I would advise to check what level of cover they offer. I have Audi Asset Protection Plus and the policy states

In the event of a motor insurer declaring the insured vehicle a total loss due to fire, an accident or theft of the insured vehicle, the policy will pay the greater of:

- the difference between the comprehensive road risks motor policy settlement and the purchase price, subject to the claim limit detailed on the schedule. This includes upto Ł100 of the insurance excess (if applicable).

Or

- the difference between the comprehensive road risks motor policy settlement and the balance outstanding on your finance agreement (excluding arrears), subject to the claim limit detailed on the schedule. This includes upto Ł100 of the insurance excess (if applicable).

In my case the invoice price is Ł30k, the claim limit is Ł25k. If my car is declared a total loss after 2 years and the insurance company only pay Ł15k the gap insurance will pay Ł15k, which means I can go get a Ł30k car. Not a bad deal if the worst thing happens. I paid Ł499 in sept last year.