Volks AutosJMB Retrofits
    5th Gear

Status

Question Need Recommendations For A Good Diesel Doing High Miles

Hi all.

My cousin has just started a new job just near Canterbury and drives there from Bromley so it's pretty high mileage every day.

He was wondering which car would give him the best MPG to keep running costs low. I recommended a Diesel but don't know which one.
    He's thinking of getting an Astra CDTI 1.7 or 1.9 but I think the 1.7 would be better as it offers much better MPG.

Are there any other recommendations that you guys/girls could give? I can't think of anything else!

He's budget is, i'm assuming, Ł7-Ł9k. I think he preferably want's something with low miles but other than that, no other preference. Oh and it has to at least be half decent.

Many thanks in advance.
    Audi A3 (8P) 2.0TDI SE .:. Ebony Black, Sports Suspension, Vienna Beige Sports Leather Seats, Concert II & BOSE, 6 CD-Changer, Xenons, Acoustic Parking Sensors & All The Packs .:.

Gone but not forgotten

2. # ADS
    ADS

Administrator

Status
    Hmmm used diesels and low miles = rare and often expensive.

I dunno about Astras, but I've been driving a Passat as a company car and I couldn't really fault it; they've given me diesel golfs before and they were great too - all though there's the potential head issues on certain age cars, but a) I'm sure you're probably aware of that and b) I guess the mileage on cars of that age would probably prevent him looking at them anyway.

Here are two less likely mentions though - I had a diesel Mondeo for a while too, and I really wanted to hate it, but it was a really good car - the value for money with it was brilliant, it was a really nice place to sit and was packed out with toys. In the newest shape (as I had) they're probably a bit over-budget, but regardless of whether it's the latest shape or a run-out of the one before, one of those with fair mileage might be worth a look. A good mate of mine has had loads of Focus diesels for his company cars, and while he normally kills them - that's entirely down to the way he drives them (and he'd be fairly forthcoming admitting it) - otherwise they're good motors too, and they probably handle 10x better than an Astra if ever you wanted to blow the soot out.

It's a bit of a kicker we didn't get to find out about this earlier - 44 Passat TDI estates have just gone to an auction house from our lease company, and they were offered to us at silly money before that happened. A big estate might not've been what he was after, but at the right money it might've made sense - ie keep it for a year or two, then sell it on for exactly what he paid :s

Good luck with the search anyway...

Regards,

Rob.
    The truth they're trying to keep from you is that IPv6 has nothing to do with address space; we're actually running out of full stops.

S3 Drift King!

Status
    Can't go wrong with modern diesels really, my 2000 Passat is on 176k miles and still running like clockwork! As with most cars, regular maintenance is key to keeping these cars sweet.

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh! For Sale:LCR Brakes - ÂŁ400

5th Gear

Status
    I did think of Golfs but not Passats for some reason so I'll sit down with him and have a look. He's clued up about cars in general so I'm sure we'll find something.

I'll also check out Mondeos as well. Again, thought of the Focus instead only. I'm sure all of these will come at a good price but I imagine an estate will cost slightly more than a hatchback (?).

I will keep you posted on my findings.

Many thanks your help and input, much appreciated.
    Audi A3 (8P) 2.0TDI SE .:. Ebony Black, Sports Suspension, Vienna Beige Sports Leather Seats, Concert II & BOSE, 6 CD-Changer, Xenons, Acoustic Parking Sensors & All The Packs .:.

Gone but not forgotten

3rd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Visit Wai-Fan's Instagram Channel
    Maybe he could have a look at Skoda's or Seat. Think a Fabia VRs would be pretty decent for around that price. Not too sure how comfortable it is though.
    2006/2008 - 52 Peugeot 206 1.4 LX, Platinum Silver

2008 - 04 Audi A3 8P1 2.0 TDi (140) Sport, Mauritius Blue

2013 - 2010 Audi B8 S4, Quartz Grey

Status
    I was in a very similar situation in the New Year after selling my Mk2 Toyota Prius, and bought a 52-plate Bora TDI 130bhp. Looking at your cousin's criteria, this might not be "decent" (!) but seven weeks and 2,000 miles in it's doing the business. It's a car I look after but one I don't need to worry about; I just get in every day and drive it.

The only point I'd make is to watch depreciation. Ł7k-Ł9k gives you plenty of choice but if he's doing high miles, the car's value will slip further and faster. This is why I sold my Prius. My Bora cost Ł2,750 with 116k on the clock plus FSH, so I don't really have too far to fall.

Finally, in terms of suggesting a nice diesel to look at, I'd suggest your cousin checks out the Honda Accord 2.2 diesel. Great build quality, reliability, economy and performance. Decent ones with miles are around Ł5k but I have seen them for less.
    2004 A3 Sportback 2.0TDI SE, RNS-E Sat Nav SW0650 TMC, 17" Star Alloys, Xenons, DIS, Rear Mats & Sunblind, Alu trim, Ebony Black pearlescent
    2006 Honda Accord EX i-CTDI, Arctic Blue, Leather, Sat Nav, XCarLink