Need Recommendations For A Good Diesel Doing High Miles

emzino

Reaction score
Hi all.

My cousin has just started a new job just near Canterbury and drives there from Bromley so it's pretty high mileage every day.

He was wondering which car would give him the best MPG to keep running costs low. I recommended a Diesel but don't know which one.
He's thinking of getting an Astra CDTI 1.7 or 1.9 but I think the 1.7 would be better as it offers much better MPG.

Are there any other recommendations that you guys/girls could give? I can't think of anything else!

He's budget is, i'm assuming, £7-£9k. I think he preferably want's something with low miles but other than that, no other preference. Oh and it has to at least be half decent.

Many thanks in advance.

Hmmm used diesels and low miles = rare and often expensive.

I dunno about Astras, but I've been driving a Passat as a company car and I couldn't really fault it; they've given me diesel golfs before and they were great too - all though there's the potential head issues on certain age cars, but a) I'm sure you're probably aware of that and b) I guess the mileage on cars of that age would probably prevent him looking at them anyway.

Here are two less likely mentions though - I had a diesel Mondeo for a while too, and I really wanted to hate it, but it was a really good car - the value for money with it was brilliant, it was a really nice place to sit and was packed out with toys. In the newest shape (as I had) they're probably a bit over-budget, but regardless of whether it's the latest shape or a run-out of the one before, one of those with fair mileage might be worth a look. A good mate of mine has had loads of Focus diesels for his company cars, and while he normally kills them - that's entirely down to the way he drives them (and he'd be fairly forthcoming admitting it) - otherwise they're good motors too, and they probably handle 10x better than an Astra if ever you wanted to blow the soot out.

It's a bit of a kicker we didn't get to find out about this earlier - 44 Passat TDI estates have just gone to an auction house from our lease company, and they were offered to us at silly money before that happened. A big estate might not've been what he was after, but at the right money it might've made sense - ie keep it for a year or two, then sell it on for exactly what he paid :s

Good luck with the search anyway...

Regards,

Rob.

Can't go wrong with modern diesels really, my 2000 Passat is on 176k miles and still running like clockwork! As with most cars, regular maintenance is key to keeping these cars sweet.

I did think of Golfs but not Passats for some reason so I'll sit down with him and have a look. He's clued up about cars in general so I'm sure we'll find something.

I'll also check out Mondeos as well. Again, thought of the Focus instead only. I'm sure all of these will come at a good price but I imagine an estate will cost slightly more than a hatchback (?).

I will keep you posted on my findings.

Many thanks your help and input, much appreciated.

Maybe he could have a look at Skoda's or Seat. Think a Fabia VRs would be pretty decent for around that price. Not too sure how comfortable it is though.

I was in a very similar situation in the New Year after selling my Mk2 Toyota Prius, and bought a 52-plate Bora TDI 130bhp. Looking at your cousin's criteria, this might not be "decent" (!) but seven weeks and 2,000 miles in it's doing the business. It's a car I look after but one I don't need to worry about; I just get in every day and drive it.

The only point I'd make is to watch depreciation. £7k-£9k gives you plenty of choice but if he's doing high miles, the car's value will slip further and faster. This is why I sold my Prius. My Bora cost £2,750 with 116k on the clock plus FSH, so I don't really have too far to fall.

Finally, in terms of suggesting a nice diesel to look at, I'd suggest your cousin checks out the Honda Accord 2.2 diesel. Great build quality, reliability, economy and performance. Decent ones with miles are around £5k but I have seen them for less.