Overcharged for fuel?

jojo

Looking for Boost!
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
Bit of an odd one this, just went to fill up my Mum's Honda Jazz at the local Shell. My other half has borrowed it, and kept moaning at me to fill it up, as it was near empty, but having firing the car up, it was still showing 1/4 tank left.

So I needed to pop out anyways, so a trip to the filling station it was... and now at the filling station, I'm at pump No.7 filling away, I've used this car as a daily in the past(albeit 12 months ago), and have never filled over £30 with the petrol light on, so when the pump went past £30, I was thinking please 'click'.... now heading towards £40 now, I'm getting worried, and then it 'clicked' on £40.12p. Didn't confront the sales guy, as I wasn't 100% sure if my gut feeling was right, but I did get a receipt. Just got home to double check the fuel tank size on the Jazz, it's 42L, and my fill was 36.5L@109p/l. I 100% don't think I was driving around with 5.5L of fuel in the car, the fuel meter showed 1/4 left, and with 5.5L, surely the fuel light would be on?!

What you think guys, should I make a complaint on the said pump, it's not accurate, or should I just take it on the chin and NEVER use that pump again?

It's Pump No.7 @Shirley Triangle for anyone who wants to know, and not sure if it's related, it had a 'Pay before fill up' warning on the pump, but they still let me fill up as normal. It was the only pump on the whole court with this message.

I've often thought that some garages must be tea-leaves, if they put up a price on the forecourt and maybe added 2/5 pence on the actual pump, how many of us would actually notice?! :think:

It might be the fuel gauge - I have noticed if it shows a quarter tank left, the car manages a lot less miles than the mileage I do over the first quarter of a full tank - if that makes sense?

Also after filling up to the max the needle stays at full for ages but drops quickly when it goes into the last red bar.

It might be the fuel gauge - I have noticed if it shows a quarter tank left, the car manages a lot less miles than the mileage I do over the first quarter of a full tank - if that makes sense?

Also after filling up to the max the needle stays at full for ages but drops quickly when it goes into the last red bar.

I would have agreed with you on this, but it's a car I'm familiar with, and the missus did a brim fill up last week for £35 with the petrol light on, so definitely something wrong with pump, unless the actual fuel gauge was faulty....

The pumps are checked by trading standards every 2 years - used to be every year. Various parts are stamped with lead discs that are attached to loops of wire so nuts cant be removed without removing the wire. This gives a visual sign to see if the pumps have been tampered with. If they have been, your screwed LOL.

Bigger stations with high output often get them checked more regularly as the pumps usually dispense over as they age & keeping them on the mark can save money.

Jojo, the tank may hold 42L, but there are the fuel lines - supply & return, fuel filter/pump, injector rail etc. It can add up a bit more.

Dude, just go there and have a word with them...although it might be difficult as they rarely have any english speaking staff, so may have hit a hurdle already!!

Otherwise, the council and trading standards will need to be contacted as they do all the checks.

I still think I've been skanked. :(

we all get skanked every single time we fill up, regardless if the pump is out or not :)

but if i were you mate id go down there and argue the point, dont be nasty about it that wont get you no where, but just point out the facts to them etc and ask to see proof of when the pump was last calibrated

I'd try it again, this time with less fuel? And if it comes up to less than £40 then you definately know that theres something wrong. I sometimes have a feeling that the rate of petrol going in my car isnt the rate im seeing on the digital meter. I think its less which is why im thinking.. £41.50 for a 1.25? then again it was V power.. but still. its rape!

Just a quick update on this, drove the same car with fuel light on for a further 10 miles and filled up to the top today, 37.02L at a different Shell station. There's noway that a 0.5L difference between 1/4 tank and needle sitting on the E with fuel light on!