MOT Question

Alba77

Reaction score
Our vans MOT is due in couples weeks time, but we decided to get the MOT sorted early. Just had call from garage doing MOT to say the van has failed its MOT on a couple of points re the handbrake. We got a price and when said we were going to shop around for best price they came back and knocked over £100 off it.
We said we would collect the van today and have another garage quote for the work. Although we have now been told by the garage we cannot drive the vehicle as it has failed its MOT. I questioned the fact it still has a valid MOT but we were just getting the new MOT done early. I have been told as we have done a new MOT this makes the existing mot invalid and will flag it up on police database as being illegal vehicle.

Question, is our existing MOT cert now invalid as we have had this new one done?

Cheers..

Last edited:
You current MOT is valid, when it was checked 12 months ago, your MOT tester approved your car was good for the next 12 months(at the time of the test). Although with all the new technology today, which it all being computerised, I guess it could be flagged up. But the point of being able to get your MOT done a month before it expires is to reduce congestion, or everyone would just turn up on the day of expiry.

I would say your local MOT tester is pulling your leg, but I stand to be corrected.

Thanks for this.. it does seem to be a grey area. Ive contacted a couple folk who say the same, vehicle has a current MOT cert, but fact its been checked by a garage to say it would now fail its MOT, wouldnt go well if I was pulled by the police..

Kinda grey area of the law..

Thanks again..

Steve

Same thing happened to me 2 weeks ago except the MOT station didn't mind me taking the car. The current MOT is valid till the date on it whether it failed an early test or not. Had your existing MOT cert expired then you'd be driving a non MOTd car on the road, which is ilegal.

Just book it into the other garage where you are getting the work done and if you can get the van out from this one to that one, then if you do get stopped and it does get flagged up on the machine, as long as its booked in and you are en route to your MOT Testing station/garage, i believe you will be ok.