AH FabricationsChris Nott

Thread: MOT Question

Neutral

Status

MOT Question

Our vans MOT is due in couples weeks time, but we decided to get the MOT sorted early. Just had call from garage doing MOT to say the van has failed its MOT on a couple of points re the handbrake. We got a price and when said we were going to shop around for best price they came back and knocked over Ł100 off it.
    We said we would collect the van today and have another garage quote for the work. Although we have now been told by the garage we cannot drive the vehicle as it has failed its MOT. I questioned the fact it still has a valid MOT but we were just getting the new MOT done early. I have been told as we have done a new MOT this makes the existing mot invalid and will flag it up on police database as being illegal vehicle.

Question, is our existing MOT cert now invalid as we have had this new one done?

Cheers..
    Last edited by Alba77; 16th February 2010 at 11:57.
    Audi A3 sline sportback 170 in silver. Bose symphony II sound system, tracker, auto light/wiper function, polished roof rails and ofcourse not forgetting the armrest.

2. # ADS
    ADS

S3 Drift King!

Status
    You current MOT is valid, when it was checked 12 months ago, your MOT tester approved your car was good for the next 12 months(at the time of the test). Although with all the new technology today, which it all being computerised, I guess it could be flagged up. But the point of being able to get your MOT done a month before it expires is to reduce congestion, or everyone would just turn up on the day of expiry.

I would say your local MOT tester is pulling your leg, but I stand to be corrected.

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh! For Sale:LCR Brakes - ÂŁ400

Neutral

Status
    Thanks for this.. it does seem to be a grey area. Ive contacted a couple folk who say the same, vehicle has a current MOT cert, but fact its been checked by a garage to say it would now fail its MOT, wouldnt go well if I was pulled by the police..

Kinda grey area of the law..

Thanks again..

Steve
    Audi A3 sline sportback 170 in silver. Bose symphony II sound system, tracker, auto light/wiper function, polished roof rails and ofcourse not forgetting the armrest.

Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

Status
    Same thing happened to me 2 weeks ago except the MOT station didn't mind me taking the car. The current MOT is valid till the date on it whether it failed an early test or not. Had your existing MOT cert expired then you'd be driving a non MOTd car on the road, which is ilegal.
    8P A3 TDI - 220bhp - 335lbft
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    Bye bye S3 you will be missed.
    S3 Build Thread

Defo worth the wait :)

Status
    Just book it into the other garage where you are getting the work done and if you can get the van out from this one to that one, then if you do get stopped and it does get flagged up on the machine, as long as its booked in and you are en route to your MOT Testing station/garage, i believe you will be ok.

5th Gear

Status
    if your taking it to a garage to get mot repairs done its fine, but to cover your arse get the garage your taking it to to book it in for the repairs