Need advice from wise Audi folk!! Help me oh enlightened ones!

balatacarter

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 2005 A6 saloon, it is a 3.2V6 petrol, lovely lovely car.

It is a very undesireable spec, on the market, as it is Aero blue (the very light one), manual, 3.2V6 petrol..

A timing chain tensioner has failed and the timing chain snapped, causing tons of damage to camshafts, valves and all sorts of hugely expensive parts!

A bill of 5k plus is in play to put it back on the road in "keeping" condition. However, I been offered 2k as is from a mechanic. I reckon I would struggle to sell it for more than 7k given the spec and market.

So, here are my questions?

1) Should I cut my losses and let it go for effectively 7k, (no repair bill and 2k cash in my pocket)

2) Should I contact Audi or am I wasting my time? The last service was at an Independent.

So sad as I bought it as a long term keeper and in the spec it is it was a bargain... Lovely drive..

Oh well, bound to be snags!

What do you think?

Looking at what you've written, either way, you are losing £5k(in theory) with which ever route you take. Can you not get a used engine and transplant instead of repairing the existing one? That would work out much cheaper!

It seems not, it seems that not many people apart from me have bought a 3.2 A6, my buddy who is knowledgeable, says that they are hard to come by!! Have had a good search and it seems that even if I could it would be 2k or more, plus labour and I am back up to where I started!

It seems not, it seems that not many people apart from me have bought a 3.2 A6, my buddy who is knowledgeable, says that they are hard to come by!! Have had a good search and it seems that even if I could it would be 2k or more, plus labour and I am back up to where I started!

Yes, you are probably right. These engines are probably rare as you say.

Tough position to be in....

How many miles has it done?

When was the timing belt (and ancillaries?) replaced and by whom?