Sky InsuranceVolks Autos
    1st Gear

Status

Private number plates

Hope someone can help

A few years back i had a private reg on my car, which i sold to a mate. The understanding was that i would take the number off the car when i could.

He totalled the car 3 weeks later and put the number on retention. He then moved away before i could make contact to get the name changed and i lost contact with him altogether.

I recently bumped into him and he has let the retention slip. He has no problem transfering the number back to me but he does not have any paperwork for the number.

I was wondering if anybody knows what i can do, the number was a 21st birthday gift and i really need it back

Please help

Robert
    52 plate black s3,Star performance remap, 18" bbs lm reps, adjustable tie bars, bilstein b8s, eibach springs, forge 007p, panel filter, covered in rg55

2. # ADS
    ADS

4th Gear

Status
    DVLA would be your best bet mate!

S3 Drift King!

Status
    Unfortunately putang, your mate owns the plate, and if he's retained it, then only he would be the only nominee(name of person who can use the retention slip) on the retention slip, unless he paid extra to have you as a nominee also. He would have to contact the DVLA to retrieve it, then add you as an additional nominee before you can use it. the retention slip is only valid for 12 months also, and if he does not pay an additional retention fee(25), then you lose the plate(back to DVLA).

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh! For Sale:LCR Brakes - £400

Brum brum

Status
    If he has let the retention slip then the number has gone back to the DVLA as Joe says.

You never actually own the number - you just buy the right to show it on a vehicle you own, or alternatively, put it on a yearly retention. If the retention slips then the number just goes back to DVLA and can be reissued
    Jason
    2001 Nogaro S3 (daily driver)

1958 replica Porsche 356 Speedster (summer posing)
    1997 Seat Cordoba SX 16v (track day toy) replacing (t)rusty 1994 Seat Ibiza GTi RIP

1st Gear

Status
    Thanks guys. He has let the retention slip. I went on the dvla website but its not available, is there anyway of finding out if anyone owns it without going into a dvla office. eg telephone number, the web site has no numbers unless your buying
    52 plate black s3,Star performance remap, 18" bbs lm reps, adjustable tie bars, bilstein b8s, eibach springs, forge 007p, panel filter, covered in rg55

S3 Drift King!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by putang View Post
    Thanks guys. He has let the retention slip. I went on the dvla website but its not available, is there anyway of finding out if anyone owns it without going into a dvla office. eg telephone number, the web site has no numbers unless your buying
    Your best bet is to turn up at your local DVLA office than to call them.

1st Gear

Status
    Think thats the best bet to mate, then the bam pots cant put me on hold for 2 weeks. Hope i get this sorted. If its still in my mates name, he will gladly sign it over.

orb
    Neutral

Status
    tell me the reg and i will tell you anything.
    V/1999 B5 facelift A4 Avant 2.4 Tip - Black - Full Cream Leather - Needs some better wheels

S3 Drift King!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by orb View Post
    Secret services?

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by orb View Post
    Pm sent, cheers

1st Gear

Status
    Thanks again orb for pointing me in the right direction.