Private number plates

putang

Reaction score
Hope someone can help

A few years back i had a private reg on my car, which i sold to a mate. The understanding was that i would take the number off the car when i could.

He totalled the car 3 weeks later and put the number on retention. He then moved away before i could make contact to get the name changed and i lost contact with him altogether.

I recently bumped into him and he has let the retention slip. He has no problem transfering the number back to me but he does not have any paperwork for the number.

I was wondering if anybody knows what i can do, the number was a 21st birthday gift and i really need it back

Please help

Robert

Unfortunately putang, your mate owns the plate, and if he's retained it, then only he would be the only nominee(name of person who can use the retention slip) on the retention slip, unless he paid extra to have you as a nominee also. He would have to contact the DVLA to retrieve it, then add you as an additional nominee before you can use it. the retention slip is only valid for 12 months also, and if he does not pay an additional retention fee(£25), then you lose the plate(back to DVLA).

If he has let the retention slip then the number has gone back to the DVLA as Joe says.

You never actually own the number - you just buy the right to show it on a vehicle you own, or alternatively, put it on a yearly retention. If the retention slips then the number just goes back to DVLA and can be reissued

Thanks guys. He has let the retention slip. I went on the dvla website but its not available, is there anyway of finding out if anyone owns it without going into a dvla office. eg telephone number, the web site has no numbers unless your buying :(

Thanks guys. He has let the retention slip. I went on the dvla website but its not available, is there anyway of finding out if anyone owns it without going into a dvla office. eg telephone number, the web site has no numbers unless your buying :(

Your best bet is to turn up at your local DVLA office than to call them.

Think thats the best bet to mate, then the bam pots cant put me on hold for 2 weeks. Hope i get this sorted. If its still in my mates name, he will gladly sign it over.

tell me the reg and i will tell you anything.

Thanks again orb for pointing me in the right direction.