JMB RetrofitsChris Nott
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    sam4191's Avatar
    If In doubt, Flat out!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Highcliffe, Dorset
    Posts
    399

    What should we do/what action can we take?

    Hi guys,

    unfortunately, a couple of weeks ago, my girlfriend bought a vw new bug. Lovely car and all, but a couple of niggley (though uncomlicated issues) i.e. steering wheel off center, cap missing on center consol, squeal from starter (or sounds like) on start up, petrol cap sticking. So all little, simple to fix things. We bought the car after agreeing that these bits would be done.

    When we went to pick the car up a week later, the guy said oh yes, all has been done. I thought id go check. guess what!? nothing been done. So go have a word with guy, who then makes up a load of b*llsh!t. We had to take the car there and then, due to insurance issues. Anyway, he got in touch saying that it had been booked into the garage to have the bits done, so last night dropped it down (he lent her a newer bug, therefore more expensive) she went to pick it up earlier... to her suprise... again... nothing been done, but he had it parked on his forecourt, as if it were for sale. he then told her that people had been looking at it and asking about it!? Anyway, he made up some more BS, so we dont think it actually moved, but has said he will book it in again.

    i work in a garage, so could have the work done, but out of principle, im not going to.

    What do you guys think we should do?

    What action can we take??

    Thanks alot(sorry for the long post, but I'm only 19 and dont really have any experience of this, and it's p!55ing me off to say the least)

    Sam


  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    jojo's Avatar
    S3 Drift King!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Solihull, Midlands
    Posts
    25,524
    Trading standards mate, make a semi bluff that you will call them up(unless you want to call them up of course), I take it you have it all in writing(the work to be done)?



    99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh! For Sale:LCR Brakes - £400



  4. #3
    Staz's Avatar
    is a retronaut

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Bristol (mostly)
    Posts
    6,168
    So have you still got the other one as the work hasn't been done?
    8P2 S3

    For advice on Air Con problems please read my FAQs.
    To find ASN members with VCDS check out the MAP.

  5. #4
    sam4191's Avatar
    If In doubt, Flat out!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Highcliffe, Dorset
    Posts
    399
    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Trading standards mate, make a semi bluff that you will call them up(unless you want to call them up of course), I take it you have it all in writing(the work to be done)?
    I wasn't sure if this would be a viable option, seems quite extreme, though I suppose it was part of the conditions of buying... and sort of have it in writing, he wrote it on the top of the receipt. lol

    Quote Originally Posted by Staz View Post
    So have you still got the other one as the work hasn't been done?
    No, she got her car back, to be honest, I didnt know what was happening until i got home from work at 5.30, and she collected her car at 4 ish. But, would it be right to keep the car he lends until our car is done to our want?


  6. #5
    Welly's Avatar
    VX220 SC Driver :)

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Gloucestershire
    Posts
    10,695
    Not sure of the legal standpoint on that. Oral contact I assume?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Marriage is like a coffin and each kid is another nail."
    Homer Simpson





  7. #6
    Staz's Avatar
    is a retronaut

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Bristol (mostly)
    Posts
    6,168
    Agreed, difficult to decide but it'd be situational for me. If he's apologetic and sincere about sorting it out then perhaps I'd give him the benefit of the doubt but to be honest if left my car for work to be done and got back and it was untouched I'd tell him to sort it and drive off again.
    8P2 S3

    For advice on Air Con problems please read my FAQs.
    To find ASN members with VCDS check out the MAP.

  8. #7
    jojo's Avatar
    S3 Drift King!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Solihull, Midlands
    Posts
    25,524
    At the point of handover, you should have refused the car until all agreed work was carried out. With regards to the insurance issue, I take it you just changed cars on your policy? If so, then a quick phone call to inform your insurance the deal didn't go to plan should have kept you insured on your original car.



    99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh! For Sale:LCR Brakes - £400



  9. #8
    sam4191's Avatar
    If In doubt, Flat out!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Highcliffe, Dorset
    Posts
    399
    Quote Originally Posted by Welly View Post
    Not sure of the legal standpoint on that. Oral contact I assume?
    Yes, pretty much oral to be honest... I am so annoyed that I let us get in this situation. Trouble is, I always take people on face value. if they say they'll do something, I automatically assume they'll do it. Maybe I should take my dads advice and look beyond the nicey nicey.

    Quote Originally Posted by Staz View Post
    Agreed, difficult to decide but it'd be situational for me. If he's apologetic and sincere about sorting it out then perhaps I'd give him the benefit of the doubt but to be honest if left my car for work to be done and got back and it was untouched I'd tell him to sort it and drive off again.
    Yeh, I deffinately see what you mean, but, I'm going to go pick the car up with my girlfriend next time (if there is a next time), so I can see if it has been done, and what his attitude is like.

    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    At the point of handover, you should have refused the car until all agreed work was carried out. With regards to the insurance issue, I take it you just changed cars on your policy? If so, then a quick phone call to inform your insurance the deal didn't go to plan should have kept you insured on your original car.
    Yeh, we deffinately would have done, if her old car hadn't been sold and taken away that morning... so, she didnt have a car. Typical, because at the time i was working 6 miles or so from home, so needed the car, now am just around the corner from her. So, could have lent her mine. It's the same thing... I just seem to trust people too often and get walked all over. great...


  10. #9
    jojo's Avatar
    S3 Drift King!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Solihull, Midlands
    Posts
    25,524
    Either way mate, I think you need to mention strong words like 'trading standards' if you want to get the ball rolling. You say you are 19, maybe he's taking the p!ss for that reason, take your Dad along, or someone more mature who looks the part, so you mean business, there's no shame. I mean, if they sort it out, they will never see you again, so keep hassling them, and be a pain in the butt!!!



    99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh! For Sale:LCR Brakes - £400



  11. #10
    rob v6's Avatar
    Learning the VAG way

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dudley
    Posts
    161
    Like jojo said just mention trading standards they soon change there mind.

    I always use that one when ever i am having problems with a shop or anything like that and they soon see my way.

  12. #11
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    belfast
    Posts
    283
    as jojo said mate take some one along who looks more mature and go down the trading standards route..ave you paid cash for the new car or are you geting it on hp..as if its on hp the dealer has to fix or replace because its not yours until the last payment.

  13. #12
    sam4191's Avatar
    If In doubt, Flat out!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Highcliffe, Dorset
    Posts
    399
    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Either way mate, I think you need to mention strong words like 'trading standards' if you want to get the ball rolling. You say you are 19, maybe he's taking the p!ss for that reason, take your Dad along, or someone more mature who looks the part, so you mean business, there's no shame. I mean, if they sort it out, they will never see you again, so keep hassling them, and be a pain in the butt!!!
    Seems to be the way to go, I am starting to think that he is thinking oh yes, these don't know what they're doing, etc, etc. I think we will try once more, then get someone like dad to come along with us.

    Quote Originally Posted by rob v6 View Post
    Like jojo said just mention trading standards they soon change there mind.

    I always use that one when ever i am having problems with a shop or anything like that and they soon see my way.
    lol. as above, but how do you word something like this? Something like 'if it's not done to our satisfaction, we will be contacting trading standards'? Also, would we really be able to stand with this arguement, seein as it is more an oral contract?


    Quote Originally Posted by head View Post
    as jojo said mate take some one along who looks more mature and go down the trading standards route..ave you paid cash for the new car or are you geting it on hp..as if its on hp the dealer has to fix or replace because its not yours until the last payment.
    yeh, unfortunately, was cash on collection.

    The guy was supposed to get back to her yesterday or today, but guess what!?...nothing...If he doesn't call monday, I'm thinking some phone calls will need to be made. Then a visit.


 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO