Seating position

smudge_don

Reaction score
Bored and was thinking about it on the way to work

I always seem to change my seat position in my car, i can never get it perfect :sadlike:

I've got an RS6 FBMFSW and i'm quite tall, so i need the flat bottom of the wheel otherwise it hits my legs using a normal wheel

So i've tried sitting further back, but then my arms are stretched to reach the wheel :(

Tried sitting further forward with the wheel position more up (you know what i mean) but i look like an old biddy driving :no:

So i've tried sitting a little further back, with the wheel down and towards me, but my legs hit the wheel when i brake/turn the wheel :(

Can never get it right

How do you have your setup in your car? Is the seat forward or back? Steering wheel up or down and towards you or the dash? And seating height as well :happy:

I'm 5'9, have my seat right down and my small legs give me no problems, I just look like a 12yr old driving his dads car, lol.

:laugh:

being 6ft 2" it's a little more difficult, and i don't like being right down

I like to have the steering wheel low however so i dont feel like im hanging off of it if you know what i mean

Seat back, probably about two thirds of the way. And down.
Steering wheel up. Can't remember if it's forward or back though.

But it's the same for me, never feels quite right. Not bad enough to be uncomfortable, but definitely room for improvement.
If my legs feel good then my arms feel stretched, and if my arms feel good then my legs feel cramped. So I've settled on my arms and legs both being inconvenienced slightly!

Last edited:
Seat back, probably about two thirds of the way. And down.
Steering wheel up. Can't remember if it's forward or back though.

But it's the same for me, never feels quite right. Not bad enough to be uncomfortable, but definitely room for improvement.
If my legs feel good then my arms feel stretched, and if my arms feel good then my legs feel cramped. So I've settled on my arms and legs both being inconvenienced slightly!

Exactly what i was getting at!!!!

I had a dream that i was driving a BMW (eugh) and that everything regarding my seating and steering wheel position was perfect :laugh:

The car was crap thought, so i didn't buy it (in my dream i went on a test drive)

I'm 5ft 10ish, missus is 5ft 4ish, took me a long time to get a seating position perfect for both of us, that required only pushing forwards and backwards for us to alternate cars. As it would be near impossible to get the same position as before otherwise. Went for a quick blast in my mates Golf V6 4Motion, he's around 5ft 9ish, and he had the seat setup brilliantly, I was comfortable just sitting in it with no adjustment, as I didn't want to disturb it anyways.

He literally put the seat to the lowest position, then raised it a little, then had the back part of the seat pretty upright. It felt odd at first, like driving as a new learner, but after 2 miles or so, it all started to make sense, it kept the body in good posture, and I felt good steeping out the car. Set the S3 to a similar setup, and when the missus drove the car next, she just moved the seat forward and we left it at that.

Exactly what i was getting at!!!!

I had a dream that i was driving a BMW (eugh) and that everything regarding my seating and steering wheel position was perfect :laugh:

The car was crap thought, so i didn't buy it (in my dream i went on a test drive)

I think we might just be oddly shaped. Something like this maybe.....

armsf.jpg

I find lowering the seat moves it back away from the wheel slightly. Maybe try a combination of sliding then fine tuning with the up/down?

I always seem to just settle into whatever position the seat is in. Get as close to comfy as I can then kinda just get used to it I suppose...

I'm 5ft 10ish

Went for a quick blast in my mates Golf V6 4Motion, he's around 5ft 9ish, and he had the seat setup brilliantly, I was comfortable just sitting in it with no adjustment

So you're 5'9 then. :happy:

My dad once said a similar thing when asked what size shoe he is.....
"Wellllll" he said, "I'm a size 10... but size 9 are more comfortable". :faint:

I think we might just be oddly shaped. Something like this maybe.....

armsf.jpg

:laugh:

I find lowering the seat moves it back away from the wheel slightly. Maybe try a combination of sliding then fine tuning with the up/down?

I always seem to just settle into whatever position the seat is in. Get as close to comfy as I can then kinda just get used to it I suppose...

I'll spend a good hour or so fiddling with it one day :laugh:

I'm 6ft and have the seat on the floor, but with the back upright, the steering wheel low and right back into the dash - But my wife has the wheel up near the top - Still with the seat low.

Though when i drive my Van (VW Transporter) i have the seat in the clouds...!

Pfft your not 6ft 2 who you kidding.

Anyways Top down seat back when riding in my cadillac.