Audi e-tron II - R4?

h5djr

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
In the latest copy of the Audi Driver magazine which arrived yesterday there are details of the new e-tron 2 which it seems will be the basis for the new R4. This particular version is a smaller two-seater version of the e-tron based on the R8 and has two electric motors powering the rear wheels. Their combined output gives 204 PS with a maximum torque of 2,650 Nm. This allows the e-tron to accelerate from 0-62 mph in 5.9 secs. It has the top speed limited to 124 mph. If it was allowed to run faster than this there would have a disproportionate consumption of the available energy.

The total power of 45 kW/hours permits a range of 155 miles and charging will take 11 hours from a normal domestic supply at 16 amps and 2 hours from a heavy duty 400 volts supply at 32 amps.

It is also intended to offer a mid-positioned combustion engine, possibly the five-cylinder unit from the TT RS.

Quite why anyone would want to buy a sports car with a range of only 155 miles is beyond me. My yearly trip of around 1000 miles each way to Austria would involve around 7 recharges at 14 hours total if there was a 400 volt supply available and 77 hours if using a normal domestic supply each way.

At the moment with my 2.0 TDI I can do it with just one fill-up which takes at a maximum 10 minutes.

I think electric car design has a long way to go yet for other than small city cars.

Something like this?
photo_rendering_2011_audi_r4.jpg