Car Insurance on the up?

jojo

Looking for Boost!
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
Just had a car insurance renewal come through the post today. Car was insured as a new policy with no NCB last year, renewal premium is more than last year with 1 years NCB. :wtf:

Has the snowing conditions had an effect on car insurance premiums, as there was probably loads of accidents in the last month I would have presumed.

Anyone else got the same problem with renewals in the last few weeks?

Mine had gone up from the previous year when I renewed back in July. I went onto my insurers website and started a new quote which came out cheaper so I called them and told them i'd only pay the cheaper one. They are robbing gits.

I'm guessing you declare all your bits Jo? How much of an increase are we talking?

Insurance is going up on the whole as there has been lots of claims in 2009, weather, accidents, snow, floods etc...it all has an effect.

Mine is due soon, but I have just done one of those multicar policies for mine and the wifes car and its great, saved just under £300!!!

So worth looking into this, with Admiral if that helps.

Mine had gone up from the previous year when I renewed back in July. I went onto my insurers website and started a new quote which came out cheaper so I called them and told them i'd only pay the cheaper one. They are robbing gits.

I'm guessing you declare all your bits Jo? How much of an increase are we talking?

New policy was started last year for my Rav4, as my previous traders policy was taken away from me due to reccession, standard car. S3 premium stayed exactly the same to the penny on renewal in September last year, with everything declared, as I called them up to have a moan. Don't understand the Rav4 quote though, 1years NCB = 30%off? And it's more expensive this year??!?

Who are you insured with dude??

30% for 1 years no claims? I thought it was about 5% per year up to 5! But that depends on the company of course.

Car insurance is always a strange business. I'm paying less this year than I've paid for a long time. Back in 2000 I was paying £421 on my A3 1.8T Sport. For my first 8P 2.0TDI-140 in 2004 I was paying £318. Both of these were direct with AXA. In 2007 I paid £349 for my 2.0TDI-170 with Norwich Union Direct. NU would always send me a renewal for my existing policy. I would then log-in to their website and get an online quote that would be less than the renewal. I would phone them and end end taking out a new policy and cancelling the old own. In April 2009 I got a quote from Saga (being over 50!!) and they were even cheaper and with generally better cover. This worked to be £316. So since 2000 my insurance on basically the same cover with maximum NCD at each renewal my premiums have come down from £421 to £316. It will be interesting to see what happens this April.

Car insurance is always a strange business. I'm paying less this year than I've paid for a long time. Back in 2000 I was paying £421 on my A3 1.8T Sport. For my first 8P 2.0TDI-140 in 2004 I was paying £318. Both of these were direct with AXA. In 2007 I paid £349 for my 2.0TDI-170 with Norwich Union Direct. NU would always send me a renewal for my existing policy. I would then log-in to their website and get an online quote that would be less than the renewal. I would phone them and end end taking out a new policy and cancelling the old own. In April 2009 I got a quote from Saga (being over 50!!) and they were even cheaper and with generally better cover. This worked to be £316. So since 2000 my insurance on basically the same cover with maximum NCD at each renewal my premiums have come down from £421 to £316. It will be interesting to see what happens this April.

Your an old man, it doesn't count! :moa:

No seriously, I was on about increases during recent times, due to accidents over the snowy period. Seem unjustified for the motorist to swallow the costs in this way, so if your renewal is after it, it goes up, but if it was up for renewal before the snow came along, you would have got a bargain!!

30% for 1 years no claims? I thought it was about 5% per year up to 5! But that depends on the company of course.

I always thought it was 1st year 30%, then 40, 50, 60, 65% max with 5 years NCB, if you make a claim(within last 5 years), then its +30% to your premium.

Who was this with Jo...I had some quotes off this site with some company that was specifically setup by ex 999 employees etc came up about £100 cheaper than anyone else, i cant remember the name of the company now, but I did a search on them on the net and there was hardly any info on them at all, although they did have a website, just didnt know if it was genuine or not.

ESI Insurance, thats what they were called.

Who was this with Jo...

It's with a company called 1st Central, anyone heard of them? I was messing about with the excesses £278 with a voluntary £350 or £288 with £250 excess, legal cover is another £20 quid more which is still cheaper than the next quote by £40.

best just to shop about.couple years ago my insurance comp wanted £800 fc for my wagon i lied to them and told them i had a cheaper quote of £680 & they then gave it to me at the cheaper price.lol

Its just a case of playing them off each other really, some real savings are to be made if you have the time for it.

Jo aint heard of them im afraid.

Mines the same :(

****** gone up a few hundred but hunted and got it at the same price as last year even though i have an extra no claims.

But i am young and the Type R isnt the cheapet of cars too insure :(

So no one has heard of 1st Central insurance? www.1stcentralinsurance.com

They have come up with the BEST quote so far online, but after some research, they are getting poor reviews, especially when it comes to making a claim, but I'm buying insurance to be insured, not to make a claim if you get me.

The next best quote is £60 more with swift cover who I've definitely heard before.

Any opinions on this guys? Should I just go with the best quote because it's so cheap?

Dude, try admiral and see if they can sort anything for you with the multicar policy.

You get a bigger discount the more cars you have on there, and they dont all have to start at the same time, so you could start this one now and when the next one is due, they will just add that on for you, until the renewal comes up for the Rav 4, if that makes sense??

Give us a bell if you need to and I will explain better.

They offered me the best price for mine and the wifes car.

I had Admiral call me up Nilz, their best quote was just under 500, and they wouldn't cover my S3 as it has a remap, and won't insure my Mk2 as a classic car neither, so they wasn't an option. Standard cars, then yes, they are the ones to talk to, but modified, no chance.

Aaah ok fair enough, oh well, you win some, you loose some!!

Yeap same here, more than last year but no claims on 5yrs now & not even a windscreen swapout, unreal & kicked up a stink & eventally got £12 of the price but still it cost me more than that in wasted hours & ****** phone calls to 0870 numbers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeap same here, more than last year but no claims on 5yrs now & not even a windscreen swapout, unreal & kicked up a stink & eventally got £12 of the price but still it cost me more than that in wasted hours & ****** phone calls to 0870 numbers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

www.saynoto0870.com

Another moneysaving tip, by the Nilz :)

Mate I tried every fecking number on there for them, would they answer, like feck they did, bar stewards, I'm sure they do on purpose, typical BT, we'll give you free 0870 0845 numbers, yeah when all the feckers are changing there numbers to 0844 etc etc!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!