MOT?

Dazmo

Reaction score
Took my partners fiesta into my local ford garage today for its MOT as they are currently doing an offer of £15.95 for all MOTs.

Anyway it failed, suprise suprise on stupid things which im sure should have been advisory items.

1)Parking brake lever has no reserve travel (in other words cable needs adjusting on handbrake, however it still works fine so why fail for this?)

2) Nearside front caliperhas restricted free movement (again nit picking at what should only be an advisory, a strip and clean of the caliper and piston should clear this up)

Personally i think they have just Found something to fail it on.

And when i came to arranging a re-test their telling me because they are doing the MOTs at £15.95 (cost price) i have to pay the full fee again whether its a partial test or not?

Yet nowhere does it say this and it clearly says i am entitled to one free or partial charged re-test.

what does everyone else thing, i am being screwed here?

Are they skanky you? Hard to say, both advisory's as you put it are legit for them to fail it on. I would personally just pay the 15.95 again and get the MOT done with, still only cost you 32 quid and 2 trips which aint bad.

There is a law governing how much they can charge. I know it's either free or a partial fee, can't charge you full price. Can't remeber the specifics though. IIRC if it's within 7 days it's free, 14 a partial fee. But don't quote me!
I know when mine failed on emmisions it was retested free 3 times last year, and once for free this year. Come to think of it I don't think I've ever been charged for a retest...

That said I don't know if the law is different with it being at cost price, can't imagine it is though?

I agree with Joe - like all good things there is bound to be a catch. And as long as it passes second time round then you only pay £32 for a ticket, instead of the usual £48 or whatever it is now.

I've had the free service for life through audi a few times, never a problem - Apart from the last time, nothing major though - 1 tyre was the wrong way round and i had to have a hose fixed and a new number plate..

All of which i had done elsewhere, and they gave me a free re-test!

That was 5 Oaks Audi, and i've never had anything but great service from them.

Regarding the re-test, i had an issue years ago with this - When i spoke to VOSA they said it wasn't law for a free re-test - Though that may have changed since?!

I've had the free service for life through audi a few times, never a problem - Apart from the last time, nothing major though - 1 tyre was the wrong way round and i had to have a hose fixed and a new number plate..

All of which i had done elsewhere, and they gave me a free re-test!

That was 5 Oaks Audi, and i've never had anything but great service from them.

Regarding the re-test, i had an issue years ago with this - When i spoke to VOSA they said it wasn't law for a free re-test - Though that may have changed since?!

Yeah emailed VOSA myself and they just told me the same thing, its at the discretion of the dealer.

The annoying thing is i know its b****s because i went to the same dealer last year for the MOT and it was the same £15.95 deal, yet when it failed it cost me nothing for a re-test!

Gooner you do realise im talking about a fiesta and not an Audi!

Both are ligit fails, cant really see the point of the thread? There is an actual MOT test manual testers use, we cant just make things up. And seeing as RRP set by vosa is well over what you will end up paying it makes even less sense.