Hit a fence in the snow!

Louay

Reaction score
Hi, erm may be wrong in posting this rant here and i understand if it is moved!

On my way to pick up my little boy this afternoon, i forgot that it was snowing (duuuuuuuuh) and skidded down a hill taking out 2 panels of a neighbours fence (the 8' x 4' flimsy buckle in the wind council estate fence)! Car is fine! Fence now has a gaping hole in it and needs fixing.

Neighbour was out at the time, couple of chavs came running round the corner swore for a bit a then said they saw and heard nothing, so i drove off with it on my conscience.

My fiancee and i after returning home decided to go round at 7pm to see if they were home, still out! so we dropped a note explaining that and incident occurred with their fence and that we would be happy to pay for any replacement panels at our cost. We left our number at the bottom of the hand written letter and left it in God's hands.

What could happen, could they make a claim through my car insurance? would i loose my unprotected NCD? could they accept my offer of me arranging to have it fixed? Anyone been in a similar situation to this?

your suggestions, opinions and factual information would be greatly appreciated.

Louay

Doubt they'd want the hassle of going through your insurance. Hopefully they'll settle on the side.

Should be fine mate , I wouldnt worry

But i would knock on the guy's house explaining and offer to fix or pay for the fence just incase he come's up with some stupid bill and expect's you to pay for it , You see he may not be as honest as you ..

I neerly lost it to in the snow it was so close to writing my car off the adrenelin rush neerly made me have a heart attack..

Mate go and see him and YOU offer to get the work done, or you do it, supplying parts and paying for the labour, otherwise as Blazin says, they may not be as honest as you and may see this as an opportunity to fleece you.

I neerly lost it to in the snow it was so close to writing my car off the adrenelin rush neerly made me have a heart attack..

Don't joke about such things - that is exactly what happened to one of my elderly neighbours. :cold:
He died slumped over the wheel of his Morris Minor.

Next they will be trying to claim the fence has whiplash and all sorts.....

Joking aside as above offer to get the work done rather than pay

I reckon you should sue your neighbour for having a fence in your way when you was skidding down the hill, and you was lucky you wasn't hurt. This might actually work in this day and age. :)

Go round and tell them you'll fix it, get it sorted without insurance etc and everyones happy.

Don't joke about such things - that is exactly what happened to one of my elderly neighbours. :cold:
He died slumped over the wheel of his Morris Minor.

Mate im not joking i almost did i litrally sh*t myself the adrenelin rush neerly made me go into cardiac that's how close it was my car would of been wrote off and injurys for sure

I would have left it and not owned up! Its only a council fence after all, does he even have to pay for it?

Hi Louay,
I wouldnt worry yourselve about it. To the best of my knowledge they cant go through your insurance if you have agreed to get it repaired by paying cash. The only time someone can claim on insurance is for a personal injury which I doubt the fence will do. The fact is you were honest and admitted it was an accident. I would go back to them and offer to fix the fence and get rid of the broken one. You and a few friends could sort it out. Some people can be very sneeky and try claim a complete new fence. Make sure you do everything and leave no stone unturned...This happend to me about two years ago and like you no one there anytime I called so I just went with a friend and repaired it took the broken one away and never heard anything about it again. Personally thats what I would do...

Last edited:
Same happened to me recently & my car was 100% fine, I knocked on door & explained & said I would fix it myself & they were very happy with this, its only £50-£100 of parts & concrete some posts in, so not a biggy, just be honest & explain you'll sort it personally & I'm sure any lucid person would respect the honesty, note I said lucid, lol.