Thread: Private reg

6th Gear

Status

Private reg

What do we reckon to this then?

Name - Jordan Wade
    Born - 1990

J(for Jordan)90(year of birth)WDE(Wade)
    Currently driving a 55 plate Ford Mondeo ST. But as Arnie once said...

I'll be back!!!

2. # ADS
    ADS

Audi=No fault code, no idea

Status
    Depends how much mate ? It will mean somthing to you but not many others .

6th Gear

Status
    Cheapest of the cheap at 280

It will be my own personal plate rather than 1 for a particular car, so i can transfer it onto future cars

I'll be back!!!

1st Gear

Status
    Whilst its your personal decision and I would never expect anyone to listem to me, as you asked the question I really don't see the point of personal plates unless its on a business car advertising the company such as Pimlico Plumber's fleet of LAV 1, LOO 2 LOO, BOG 1 etc etc

In fact, I would go so far as saying that personal plates are a little tacky and third division WAG'ish

But that's just my view

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by davej_anderson View Post
    Whilst its your personal decision and I would never expect anyone to listem to me, as you asked the question I really don't see the point of personal plates unless its on a business car advertising the company such as Pimlico Plumber's fleet of LAV 1, LOO 2 LOO, BOG 1 etc etc

In fact, I would go so far as saying that personal plates are a little tacky and third division WAG'ish

But that's just my view
    that tickled me

I see you're point, and i reject it

I'll be back!!!

1st Gear

Status
    Smudge

For 280 quid, and to mean that to you (cant believe you guys are so young) its a yes from me.

You cant go wrong can you really!! i paid 600 for mine but its what i wanted so the money was not a problem its a PERSONAL plate so what it means is irrelevant to others and your right you can stick on any car

Mike
    A3 8P Facelift front, Optics grille, 09 rearlights, votex rear spoiler, Bluefin Phillips xtreme bulbs, Weitec GT Coilovers, 19" VMR Wheels Looking for dsg fbmfsw

Neutral

Status
    I have G16 EDD bought it for 500 over 5 years ago, looks the nuts cut down, makes the car stand out. You could cut that one down too, looks loads better.
    Red 07 S3, Full Milltek turbo back, Autotech pump, Dbilas Flowmaster Intake System, Revo Stage 2+, Spec Clutch (Stage 3) & SMFW, Team Dynamics Pro 1.2 (gloss black) gloss black mirrors, Optics grill and satin black front and rear valance. 13.8 quarter & 5.4 0-60 (GTI International '09 Revo Stage 1)

va va voom

Status
    i like it
    ~ ~ ~2003 Audi S3 BAM ~ Ming Blue ~ 18" BBS Alloys ~ Heated Black Leather ~ Forge DV ~ RNS-E ~ denison ipod link~ parrot mk6100 bluetooth ~ ~ ~

Still need Remap

2007 Audi S3 8L
    2005 Audi A3 1.6 sport grey with climate control
    2003 Audi A3 1.6 sport black without climate contol

1st Gear

Status
    Yeah, it matches your name and year, I was thinking about one!

6th Gear

Status
    LOL! How sad is that! Youd really hate my plate then, cos it spells something!!
    Pass me my sock

Want to help cure cancer? http://folding.stanford.edu/English/HomePage

5th Gear

Status
    Nothing wrong with personal plates. If its what you want and it means something to you. We all mod our cars to what we interpret as looking good....others may think it looks pants....who cares!! I bought my first plate when I had the car new so I kept it a 58 plate but with the initials MAC. Personally I like it as it is subtle. The plates I don't like are the ones with stupid spacing and fixings to make an I into a T etc.....now thats chavvy
    Facelift S3, Sprint Blue, Bucket seats, Sunroof, Sat Nav, Bose, Elect Mirrors, Light and Rain, Interior Light pack, Flat Tyre Warning, GSM Phone Prep, Led upgrade, Illuminated speaker grills.

I bought my personal plate way back when the prefix H was issued. This was the first time the DVLA allowed to to purchase a plate before they were issued. I had the plate a few months before I had my new Audi 90 2.3E on 1 March 1991 and been transferred to each of the 9 cars I have owned since. I don't have a middle initial so I use my wifes initial as well. D and J Robinson hence DJR.

A while later in 1996 when my wife had her first brand new car I bought her H5 JHR (her initials) so we have a matching pair. She is now on her fourth Polo and the plate gets transferred to each new one.

When I trade-in my car, I drive to the dealer still with my plate on the car and my new one is there waiting with exactly the same number. Strange to see two cars parked next to each other with the same number plate.

Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

3rd Gear

Status
    id go for it mate its cheap and means what you want it to mean, i paid 800 for mine B12 DWN but adjusted it so i looks more like brown as if i got B12 OWN its was 8k lol which i deffo wasnt payin lol

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by chris1988brown View Post
    id go for it mate its cheap and means what you want it to mean, i paid 800 for mine B12 DWN but adjusted it so i looks more like brown as if i got B12 OWN its was 8k lol which i deffo wasnt payin lol

Like I said in my last post. Each to their own, but i am not into doctored plates. This will make you laugh though LOL

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?im...JMz14AaG0IiqCA
    Facelift S3, Sprint Blue, Bucket seats, Sunroof, Sat Nav, Bose, Elect Mirrors, Light and Rain, Interior Light pack, Flat Tyre Warning, GSM Phone Prep, Led upgrade, Illuminated speaker grills.

S3 (8P)

Status
    The DVLA sourced plates are pretty good value as the transfer cost is included.
    Mine only cost 250 all in, so technically the plate stands me 180!
    Cheap as chips.
    I have some very `subtle` spacing on mine and although not really obvious it gives the desired effect and the plod have shown no interest in 3 yrs.

I agree that you have to be carefull with wacky spacing, odd fonts, and dummy screwholes as they can make it look naff and chavvy.

Go treat yourself!

Paul
    Now:
    -MK2 Golf Gti 16V/VR6, Oak Green, Shrick, Intake, Decat, Kish Retrim, Lenso BSX..
    -BMW 335d Xdrive, Estoril Blue, fully loaded.

Before:
    S3 (8P), Ibis, DSG, Milltek, SHARK

BMW 320d M Sport
    S3 (8P), Sprint, REVO, H&R Springs, BBS CHs,

Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - REVO Stage1, Red.
    Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - Std, Shadow Blue
    Civic Type `R`
    Golf MK4 GTi 18T - 200bhp, MTM ECU, Forge DV
    Golf MK3 VR6 - Cat Back
    Corrado VR6 - JAMEX
    Corrado G60 - JAMEX, BRM Charger rebuild
    etc....

Makinen...ha

Status
    Ive got one on mine and i love it, youll have it for life and for 280 notes you cant go wrong.

Youve just spent twice as much as that on a steerin wheel lol...

Reverse Gear

Status
    I have 3 private plates one with minor spacing for my s3 the other which is now on one of my motorbikes which was bought for an evo 7 and reads V11 GTB, gtb being my initials and my other is L333AH B, my wee girls name is leeah which is on retention at the moment. the only one I actually like now is the leeah one and want rid of the other two . to be honest the they are just a pain in the arse when it comes to selling or changing your car if doing so privately anyway.

Status
    Do it The name gives it away...Private plate read private to you if thats how you would like to spend 280 then go for it, or you could save another 280 and have a re-map hehe!!
    Follow us on Facebook-Stacey-Byzan Photography-

Brum brum

Status
    Go for it. I agree about the not misspacing or putting black screws in stupid places.

I've got three. All of mine are pre 1963 so are neither prefix nor suffix - two are in the format 3 letters then 3 numbers. The S3 has the best one - 4 numbers and a single letter. It doesn't mean anything, it is just something unusual as you don't see many single letter plates on the roads these days.
    Jason
    2001 Nogaro S3 (daily driver)

1958 replica Porsche 356 Speedster (summer posing)
    1997 Seat Cordoba SX 16v (track day toy) replacing (t)rusty 1994 Seat Ibiza GTi RIP

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by h5djr View Post
    When I trade-in my car, I drive to the dealer still with my plate on the car and my new one is there waiting with exactly the same number. Strange to see two cars parked next to each other with the same number plate.

Totally illegal aswell.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    Totally illegal aswell.
    Only if there were both on the public road rather than on a dealers premises. Only the 'old' one is on the road until I drive to the dealers and only the 'new' one after that and both are registered to the same owner.

Once I've collected the new car, the existing one gets it's number changed to one issued by the DVLA before it leaves the dealers premises.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Yes, but you cant swap plates to new car without the V5 being changed on both, so do you goto the DVLA yourself or ask dealer to do whilst you wait, cause until the V5 is amended you cant drive the new car with new plates on until the docs are done & I know this from at least the last 3 of my cars as I had to goto Brighton DVLA office to do then & there or wait a week or 2 to be done by post, registered to the same owner is irrelevant, V5 has to be amended before the car can be driven with the different plates, so unless you drive away with a V5 for your new car with the private plate on this doc then its completely illegal.

Basically what I do is send the necessary forms to the DVLA to place my personal number on retention. The send me a Retention Certificate which I give to the dealer for him to register the new car with my personal number. Only once have I been asked to take the xisting car to a DVLA office for the details to be checked against the V5. I also receive a certificate from the DVLA giving a new number for my existing car and a form which allows me to purchase a new set of number plates with the new number they have allocated to my existing car. This is also given to the dealer and they make up a set a plates to go on to the car when it's handed over to them. I also receive a new V5 for my existing car some days later showing the new registration which goes with the car to the dealer. The new V5 for the new car with my personal number arrives in the post some days or a week or so after I've taken delivery.

This is the same process I have used for all nine transfers that I've done with my plate. I suppose in theory the new number should go onto my existing car as soon as I receive the details of the new number that has been allocated to it, but the DVLA do not know when those details arrive with me. It could be just the morning that the change of cars is taking place depending on the Royal Mail. My dealer has always said not to bother as they will make up the new plates and they will always certify to the DVLA, if necessary, that both cars were never on the road at the same time. They also say it is not a real problem as at the time of transfer and until I send them the part of the V5 signed by both myself and the dealer to say I've sold the car to them, I am the registered keeper of both cars.

In the past the dealer has been to the local DVLA office to arrange the transfer over the counter, but I understand the DVLA will no longer do this and the dealer does all the registration process for the new car by a computer link to the DVLA.
    Last edited by h5djr; 1st January 2010 at 13:06.
    Dave R (h5djr)

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by smudge_don View Post
    What do we reckon to this then?

Name - Jordan Wade
    Born - 1990

J(for Jordan)90(year of birth)WDE(Wade)
    Its only 250 all in on the DVLA web site, thats where Newreg would be buying it, then adding their fee If its what you like, go for it

Quote Originally Posted by B111COR View Post
    Its only 250 all in on the DVLA web site, thats where Newreg would be buying it, then adding their fee If its what you like, go for it
    Yes it's generally cheaper to buy the number direct from the DVLA. Their price usually includes the 80 transfer as well. When I bought mine it was 230 but that was in 1991.
    Dave R (h5djr)

1st Gear

Status
    buy it quick before someone else does

3rd Gear

Status
    lol they are very bad, as u can see from mine its all spaced correctly, no screws att all as i hate screws in number plates and you cant even tell its adjusted but you can tell what its ment to say

Status

My Social Networking

Follow quattrojames On Twitter Add quattrojames on Facebook
    lol they are very bad, as u can see from mine its all spaced correctly, no screws att all as i hate screws in number plates and you cant even tell its adjusted but you can tell what its ment to say
    I hate to rain on your parade mate, but it's not spaced correctly is it? The space between the '2' and the 'D' should be more, and the '2' has been cut down too by the look of it?
    Ingolstance Read about my A6 HERE.

Quote Originally Posted by quattrojames View Post
    I hate to rain on your parade mate, but it's not spaced correctly is it? The space between the '2' and the 'D' should be more, and the '2' has been cut down too by the look of it?
    That's correct. Have a look at the photo showing my two plates earlier in the thread and you will see what 'quattrojames' is talking about.

Again I like personal plates, but I hate plates that have been doctored in any way. I also hate having the dealer in large lettering on the plate. Fortunately my dealer uses very small letter and only the information required by law.
    Dave R (h5djr)

5th Gear

Status
    Must admit I have seen a lot worse, but if you are unfortunate to get pulled by the Police they will get you to remove it. If you later change it back again I think they even have the power to take your plate out of circulation

6th Gear

Status
    Luckily,i dont have to do a thing to mine.Just grin every time i see it.

Pass me my sock

Want to help cure cancer? http://folding.stanford.edu/English/HomePage

Quote Originally Posted by mac1403 View Post
    Must admit I have seen a lot worse, but if you are unfortunate to get pulled by the Police they will get you to remove it. If you later change it back again I think they even have the power to take your plate out of circulation
    That's very true. Some I've seen are ridiculous. The best ones are the ones that mean something to you without having to be modified in any way.

This is the statement on the DVLA website...

The police can issue fixed penalty fines for illegally displayed number plates. Offenders could face a maximum fine of 1,000 and in some cases the number plate may be withdrawn.
    Vehicles with illegally displayed number plates may fail the MOT test.
    Dave R (h5djr)

Whats going on???

Status

My Social Networking

Visit s3 Hoggy's Instagram Channel
    If thats what you want mate then go for it! at the end of the day its your car and you should do what you want, I think it looks good and for 250 thats a bit of a bargain,
    My bird got me mine for my birthday and I love mine!

Cheers Matt
    2002 S3 REVO
    Milltek, Sachs Organic clutch, 007p, Genuine RSTT's, BBS RS2's
    Koni FSD & H&R springs, Neuspeed 22mm rear ARB, KW tie arms
    LCR Brembo's with DS2500's & Paul's 300mm Rear disc kit,
    Michelin Pilot Sport 3's,Badger5 V2.2 Jetex filter & heatshield

Brum brum

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by john herman View Post
    Luckily,i dont have to do a thing to mine.Just grin every time i see it.

Nice!
    Jason
    2001 Nogaro S3 (daily driver)

1958 replica Porsche 356 Speedster (summer posing)
    1997 Seat Cordoba SX 16v (track day toy) replacing (t)rusty 1994 Seat Ibiza GTi RIP

Never satisfied

Status
    I have a private plate so does my wife..( legally spaced out etc )

I agree that they look awful when they are spaced illegally and black screws put here and there , numbers tweaked , you know what i am talking about.

I am surprised that people can still get away with it , some look nothing like the actual number plate it should be.

If it means something to you i think go for it , it's just a bit of personalisation on a car , That's what we all do on here any way.

Although i must say that when i see some plates and people say it says this , i am convinced they read what they want to see , half the time they just look like weird made up words...

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by h5djr View Post
    Basically what I do is send the necessary forms to the DVLA to place my personal number on retention. The send me a Retention Certificate which I give to the dealer for him to register the new car with my personal number. Only once have I been asked to take the xisting car to a DVLA office for the details to be checked against the V5. I also receive a certificate from the DVLA giving a new number for my existing car and a form which allows me to purchase a new set of number plates with the new number they have allocated to my existing car. This is also given to the dealer and they make up a set a plates to go on to the car when it's handed over to them. I also receive a new V5 for my existing car some days later showing the new registration which goes with the car to the dealer. The new V5 for the new car with my personal number arrives in the post some days or a week or so after I've taken delivery.

This is the same process I have used for all nine transfers that I've done with my plate. I suppose in theory the new number should go onto my existing car as soon as I receive the details of the new number that has been allocated to it, but the DVLA do not know when those details arrive with me. It could be just the morning that the change of cars is taking place depending on the Royal Mail. My dealer has always said not to bother as they will make up the new plates and they will always certify to the DVLA, if necessary, that both cars were never on the road at the same time. They also say it is not a real problem as at the time of transfer and until I send them the part of the V5 signed by both myself and the dealer to say I've sold the car to them, I am the registered keeper of both cars.

In the past the dealer has been to the local DVLA office to arrange the transfer over the counter, but I understand the DVLA will no longer do this and the dealer does all the registration process for the new car by a computer link to the DVLA.
    Yes but if you put your plate on retention, then you cant then drive your old car around or to the dealer with the private plate on as retention is where it sits in the air waiting to be allocated, so if this is the case which from your pics & info suggests, then its still illegal Dave, not being funny & couldnt give a toss tbh, but just being factual incase anyone gets the idea then gets pulled, I was warned about this by the DVLA.

1st Gear

Status
    For 250 I'd say do it mate. I just had one for my car as a XMAS pressie from 'er indoors..love it..
    A4 2.0T FSI S-Line Special Edition, Misano Red / Black Graphite Volterra Leather.
    Retrofitted : Cruise Control, Rear Parking Sensors, RNS-E, Bluetooth, SDS. Ambient Light Mod, Chipped UK Fast Road Remap. (262 BHP), Red Brake Calipers c/w S-Line Decals, Coming Soon... ??

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    Private Plates are immense, add class to a car.

5th Gear

Status
    I've had one in the past.............. But won't bother again,,, I don't think??

However, I have just ordered J90 WDE from the DVLA for a 'friend' of mine....
    In my personal opinion

Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    Yes but if you put your plate on retention, then you cant then drive your old car around or to the dealer with the private plate on as retention is where it sits in the air waiting to be allocated, so if this is the case which from your pics & info suggests, then its still illegal Dave, not being funny & couldnt give a toss tbh, but just being factual incase anyone gets the idea then gets pulled, I was warned about this by the DVLA.
    Yes I hear what you say, but in my case I would just be driving the car to the dealers to get new number plates with the new allocated number fitted, having just received the letter telling me to do this from the DVLA the same morning. I understand this is permitted in the same way as driving a car without an MOT to an MOT station to have the inspection done. At least that would be my story if I was stopped. Very unlikely as my plates are always perfectly legal and the tax disc in the car window still shows my personal number. I don't send this back to the DVLA until after I collect my new car.
    Dave R (h5djr)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast