JMB RetrofitsSky Insurance
    2nd Gear

Status

Just drove my friends brand spanking new Astra VXR

Its the Limited race edition, i had a good 40-50 mins drive, and i think it is a very nice car,

looks really nice imo, although may be a little loud looking for some people as its bright red black wheels, mirrors etc,

It has a very nice interior black leather recaro's, and the sound of it, is very good, on full beans quite raspy, its quick, fairly close to my s3 if not quicker, no doubt be faster after mapped, as i think stage 1 is 275bhp, or something, over all was really surprised a really nice car in my eyes, plus being brand new, everything is so smooth. like gearbox clutch etc, any1 else ever had a go or been in one?, a nice car imo
    2001, Ming Blue, Aluminium Mirrors, Revo!, Bose, Parking sensors, Sunroof,

2. # ADS
    ADS

4th Gear

Status
    Jase and I were ripping the standard one around Croft at a VXR track day earlier this year. Well I say ripping, until the hot lap with the BTCC driver He was in one of these and made the thing dance and was well at home on the track. The subtle differences over the standard VXR are nice too. Isn't there a driving day thrown in with the car too?

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by AuldReekie View Post
    Jase and I were ripping the standard one around Croft at a VXR track day earlier this year. Well I say ripping, until the hot lap with the BTCC driver He was in one of these and made the thing dance and was well at home on the track. The subtle differences over the standard VXR are nice too. Isn't there a driving day thrown in with the car too?

Not to sure mate, quite a capable car though. faster than i thought it was going to be, yeah i have never been in a standard one, but know the differences in looks are really nice imo, i think the engine are same power etc,

5th Gear

Status
    Isnt the Astra an Old shape now? The new one is launched in 3 days time.
    Audi A3 1.8 Turbo, Wietec Ultra GT 40mm kit, 3" Full Custom Stainless Steel Exhaust, Custom Code stage 1 remap, 17" RS4 Alloys, Whiteline ARB

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by reptor245 View Post
    Isnt the Astra an Old shape now? The new one is launched in 3 days time.
    Dont know, its a 59 plate so i would not really call it old, buteven if it was 10 years old still a nice car

The Clar!! it mouves!!!

Status
    nice car....review it when it's our cars age
    Xbox 360 gamer ID : Timffy

Grey Triumph Sprint 1050 ST
    Silver BMW 535D Tourer - Fully loaded 340BHP 700NM torque
    2009 8P3 S3 Brilliant Red - Sold
    2001 F/L S3 Dolphin Grey - Sold
    1999 Pre F/L Silver A3 1.8T - Sold

6th Gear

Status
    They look great there fast in a straight line.

But the slighest bend and there all over the place.

Too much power in a front wheel drive car that just torque steers all the over the place.

The astra VXR unfortunatly is to skittish and dangerous and you do not feel like you are in control as the car controls you.

Plus the chassis was just added too and was not built from the ground up like the corsa VXR.

I almost bought one and test drove 6 before buying my audi.

I would buy a focus ST over a VXR anyday.
    Last edited by Dazmo; 8th December 2009 at 21:25.

Maritus Blue Audi A4 3.0 V6 S-Line TDi 275bhp, 585nm Torque

jabba mapped

Status
    my friend also has the vxr racing edition with the heated seats and the gloss trim in the middle looks lovely an sounds beefy. he has got his 1 booked in for a stage 2 which produces 275hp for 1599 thats exhaust and remap. good car but the 1.8t lumps tune for so much cheaper and easier and it is quite quick but for the price of 1 of those i would have a new audi s3.
    my friend was on a private road with the new s3 which said bye bye astra vxr lol

Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

Status
    I thought these car tuned to over 300bhp with a simple map like the VAG 2L Turbo?
    8P A3 TDI - 220bhp - 335lbft
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    Bye bye S3 you will be missed.
    S3 Build Thread

Reverse Gear

Status
    I had one of these for 2 very wet days in June.
    The car pulls left like an idiot, foot down exiting roundabouts a very firm grip is required. Lots of effort to keep in a straight line, & basically 'hard work' - traction control is no substitute for 4WD.
    I would rather have the BMW 135i which is another rollerskate but in also in a class of its own - now that was fun.

VX220 SC Driver :)

Status
    Agreed, they aren't great round corners, but point them where you want to go and hit the loud pedal and you're off, never to be seen again.

I also wanted to race one in my Corsa C20LET (an old one) but never got the opportunity sadly. Slayed a few Corsa VXRs though, heavily .

Whilst on them actually, the Corsa VXRs are really lovely cars too, like a squished Astra with less power, but better handling. Same interior too. One went through the car auctions by me a fews weeks ago for 5 grand! Bargain!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Marriage is like a coffin and each kid is another nail."
    Homer Simpson

Stage2'd!!!!!!

Status
    no question id have my s3 over a vxr astra, i used to work at a vauxhall main dealer so have driven quite a few including mapped ones and id never have one over the s3 maybe nice from day 1 but its never going to last as well as the s3, they may feel quicker then the s3 but only in a straight line how boaring!!!
    had a burn up with a scooby whilst in a vxr and keept up untill we hit the bendy bits then i never saw it again lol

tku
    3rd Gear

Status
    Think their horrible.. horrible interior and they cant handle at all! Straight line yes, nice exhaust sound yes!, terrible chassis with torque steer yes! Sorry but no one in their right mind would buy one of these over an S3.

2nd Gear

Status
    very true what people have said, i had one one on a three day hire when i had to choose my company car a couple of years back, had a black one with 19 inch rims, looked stunning from the outside, but clattered around bends and torque steered like crazy, worse than my torque steer crazy fiat coupe turbo and that was a ******* to reign in...

very true about the interior too, centre consol lifted from a boggo astra and coated in tacky looking carbon fibre..nasty looking

to be fair though i did have some fun in it
    A4 Cabriolet 2.0T S line special edition

Past motors
    -Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo
    -Peugeot 205 GTI
    -Vauxhall Nova SR

Beer God

Status
    My old dear has one (shes in her 50's) and before that she had the Corsa VXR. She says she prefers the Astra over the Corsa as it was a nightmare in the wet and had a tiny boot. Sure the interior isnt as nice as a VAG car but the price/servicing wasnt the same either...
    Volvo V50 D5 R-Design

2nd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Follow sammi On Twitter
    I have driven the Astra and the Corsa VXR as I have a mate who works for Vauxhall. Firstly I would never by a Vauxhall as all of the ones I have had in the past have started to fall apart in 6 months!!!

I liked the Astra VXR thought it went well but the handling was awful ( I have to say it wasnt a race one as mentioned above so they may have sorted it) I torque steered all over the place and found it impossible to apply any power through a corner.

The Corsa on the other hand I found far more usable, its a lighter and granted has less power but felt more fun and definitely held the road better.

I am waiting for him to bring a VXR8 round now for me to have a play in :-)

S3 Drift King!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sammi View Post

I am waiting for him to bring a VXR8 round now for me to have a play in :-)
    Just make sure it doesn't have an onboard GPS tracker/camera thing on it before you take it out.

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh! For Sale:LCR Brakes - £400