Maybe caught speeding - a lot

dgannon

Dolphin Grey 2007 S3
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I may have been caught speeding today by a camera in a van sat at the end of a dual track in a city which i've never driven before...

Myself and a collegue both in seperate cars pulled out of a taybarn entrance in the said area and were heading down this dual track towards a set of lights, we were both doing a speed which is still slower than the national speed limit for a dual track (70 in most cases).

Couple of questions... if there were no speed limit signs or warning signs for a speed camera between where we pulled out and the van does this, in some cases help if we were over the speed limit?

If we were doing approx 50% more than the limit (we haven't yet confirmed what the limit was as yet) what can happen? Will we be lucky and get a fixed penalty or could it be a lot worse?

Mods, sorry if this is in the wrong section of the forum...

Regards,

A dual carriageway will be 70mph unless signposted to the contrary.

If you pulled out of the barn entrance, then there would have been signs posting the speed limit prior to you pulling into the entrance. You would have been expected to know the speed limit as you hadn't technically 'left' the road, more pulled off it.

Had you joined the DC from a minor road there would have been a sign just short of the junction telling you of the speed limit.

Have you tried pepipoo.com? Lots of answers on there.

dgannon, if you exceed the speed limit by 30mph, then it's usually an instant ban, you will probably get done for dangerous driving or similar. I got done by a lazer gun for doing 59 in a 30 a few years back and got a court summons, if I was doing 60, I would have got a ban, but I got 6 points and a hefty fine instead.

You mention it was in a city, that makes me think that there could be a lower limit than national speed limit. I've driven down many dual carriageways which are 40 and even 30.

2 options, either check the road, possible by checking google, or on a sat nav or an actual map, Or wait for a few weeks and see what occurs, unless it's a lease car and that could take months to get to you then

As has been mentioned, being Inner City it is likely to be a (two lane) single carriage way with a central reservation, as apposed to a Dual Carriage way; the pertinant speed restriction will (or certainly should) be posted on repeater signs after junctions. If this is definately not the case then you should evidence this where and if it is safe to do so. I have come across instances of this myself where there is a missing/forgotten sign.

But that said as QJ mentions: there is an expectation on the driver that you would be aware of the speed of that road as you had just travelled along it (where presumably there will be a speed restriction sign).

As for warning signs, these tend to be for fixed site cameras and not mobile camera operating areas, either way that won't make a bit of difference to being caught over the limit.

Thanks for the comments guys,

Firstly, my **** up for saying it was in a city... It was the A49 Warrington road leading into Wigan which goes past a Taybarn restaurant - some of you may well know it. The dual track is just off the motorway. I believe the speed limit there is 40. I didn't exceed 70 as i'd only just come into 3rd gear when i spotted the camera. The other thing is that if the camera did see us, we were pulling out of the junction and gaining speed so would we have been judged on our average over a distance or max speed at one point?? No camera warning signs were on the road whatsoever, just a small camera sticker on the van...

Cheers guys

Thanks for the comments guys,

Firstly, my **** up for saying it was in a city... It was the A49 Warrington road leading into Wigan which goes past a Taybarn restaurant - some of you may well know it. The dual track is just off the motorway. I believe the speed limit there is 40. I didn't exceed 70 as i'd only just come into 3rd gear when i spotted the camera. The other thing is that if the camera did see us, we were pulling out of the junction and gaining speed so would we have been judged on our average over a distance or max speed at one point?? No camera warning signs were on the road whatsoever, just a small camera sticker on the van...

Cheers guys

Well, if the flaps at the back/sides of the van is open, then it's most likely to be active. They should have a sign down the road to inform motorists that they are about. They also have vans which search for roadtax dodgers, these usually have NPRS or similar written on the side of the van.

okay thanks jojo i'll just hope it was a tax van although after checking a few web sites they do say there's mobile cameras on those roads...

The other thing is that if the camera did see us, we were pulling out of the junction and gaining speed so would we have been judged on our average over a distance or max speed at one point??

A camera will get your 'actual' speed at a given point, whereas something like Vascar will give an average speed over a set distance, ie third of a mile or whatever.

Could have been an ANPR van also.

Just sit tight and keep your eye on the post.

T

As said sit tight and hope for the best. I got 5 points and a £350 fine for doing 91 in a 70.

But on the other hand, I couldnt count on one hand the amount of folk i know who have received nothing after 6 months of being flashed by a speed camera.

Being a local wigan lad i know this road very well

i see these c**ts with camera on this road everyweek, i`m 99.9% sure from taybarn down 2 these lights its a 30 mph limit.

fingers crossed for u anyway mate.

Being a local wigan lad i know this road very well

i see these c**ts with camera on this road everyweek, i`m 99.9% sure from taybarn down 2 these lights its a 30 mph limit.

fingers crossed for u anyway mate.

Yeah, damn those c**ts for potentially catching someone speeding, its all their fault, nothing to do with the driver!!!

The O/P doesnt know if he's been caught yet, so referring to them as 'c**ts' is pretty poor form IMO.

Nothing in the post as yet, so if it's 14days from date of the speeding occurance there's 5 post days left - if this is how it works? fingers crossed...

I thought if they were going to completely throw the book at you this sort of thing would come through pretty sharpish?

Dave

Nothing in the post as yet, so if it's 14days from date of the speeding occurance there's 5 post days left - if this is how it works? fingers crossed...

I thought if they were going to completely throw the book at you this sort of thing would come through pretty sharpish?

Dave

Between me and the missus, we've had 3 NIP's from camera vans, they we're pathetic 36 in a 30 and 57 in a 50 ones, but hands up, we was caught and paid the penalty! They all arrived within a week, but there was a postal strike which has delayed post lol...

i did consider the postal strike but have had a couple of things issued the past few days and they have been delivered next day...

I know, i'm being OPTIMISTIC!!!

From my experience they only have to of posted the NIP within 14 days it can take longer to get there. I was caught doing over a 100 (not proud) got my NIP within 14 days then waited 6 1/2 months until I heard anything more. I got a £450 fine and a one month ban (no points).