Audi gearbag confusion

HotboxDeluxe

automatic
Reaction score
In Audi-speak, which one is DSG? Is it 'S-Tronic' or 'Multitronic' ?

Clarification would be much appreciated! Mr Anti-VAG has another new-car dilemma :faint:

TIA

Thanks m8 :happy: didn't want another DSG, ****** thing :no:

Multitronic sounds far less annoying! Now the other big question is, do I break the ****** bank just to get in an A5 Sportback :think: hmmmm.....

Thanks m8 :happy: didn't want another DSG, ****** thing :no:

Multitronic sounds far less annoying! Now the other big question is, do I break the ****** bank just to get in an A5 Sportback :think: hmmmm.....

Make sure you try a Multitonic before deciding. I drove an A4 fitted with multitronic and found it very strange. It's basically a constantly variable transmission with a steel belt running between shaped cones. I found that the engine note and speed did not always seem to related to the speed of the actual car.

The S-tronic/DSG was originally developed by VW and Borg Warner to suit VWs transversely mounted engine layout. Audi obviously consider the S-tronic/DSG better than Multitronic which is which is why they are developing and gradually introducing the S-tronic into the models with longitudinally mounted engines.

The new A5 Sportback is available with a manual gearbox, multitronic or a new 7-speed S-tronic depending on the model.

Last edited:
Thanks Dave, I'll definately have to try one :thumbsup: I like an automatic, but CVT? Erm, it sounds a bit odd, my scooter is CVT, but I'm not sure it would work in a large-ish heavy car!

I'd like a normal slushbox...can't have one! :beee: I'm also very taken with how the A5 SB looks. Decided I didn't want another Audi this time. Went to the IAA and changed my mind again once I had a walk around them.

Still wrong-wheel drive for my budget though :ermm:

my scooter is CVT

Pink_scooter.jpg