Volks AutosBadger5
    2nd Gear

Status

Ring Suggestions...what would you buy

Guys

Me and my brother are planning a trip to the Ring around march time, and i am calling on my Audi Brethren for Suggestions...

planning to by a motor for about 1300 quid to rape for the weekend then hopefully flog on, but very much undecided what to buy, i am thinking a dog eared renault clio cup

it needs to be capable of making the trip, and providing two days of ring based fun, and have a modicum of street cred

so, over to you...if you had 1300 sovs to blow on a ring racer, what would you buy
    A4 Cabriolet 2.0T S line special edition

Past motors
    -Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo
    -Peugeot 205 GTI
    -Vauxhall Nova SR

2. # ADS
    ADS

S3 Drift King!

Status
    You can find a Clio Cup for 1300? Good choice. I would get a Mk2 Golf GTI of some sort, it would be worth the same you paid for it when you sell it, and servicing parts are very cheap for DIY. For 1300, you could probably have enough to buy the car, and insure it as classic car for 3k miles and make the trip to the ring and back, and get a pertial refund on your insurance policy lol.

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh! For Sale:LCR Brakes - £400

automatic

Status
    A BMW 535i Sport. E34 model between 88-94. 200+ bhp, l.s.d in the proper place and it'll get you there, around, and back, quickly. If you don't like RWD then definately a Mk2 GTi as mentioned above.
    Still loving the 130i like the sideways dirtbag I am

2nd Gear

Status
    sorry a clio 172, not a cup, cheapest one on autotrader ia a shade over 1600, probably a dog, but i am sure it could be bartered down to 1300 quid !!

toyota soarer looking promising also.... sub 1200 quid and massive HP !!
    street cred - zero !

Past motors
    -Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo
    -Peugeot 205 GTI
    -Vauxhall Nova SR

Beer God

Status
    4th Gen Honda Civic 1.6 VTi (the VTEC one with the B16 engine) ... (stop laughing!)

Probably set you back about 600 for a half decent one, strip it out spend the rest on some new pads/discs/tires dont get the one with aircon and a sunroof both of these add about 50kg. If your funds have stretched a bit fit a decent exhaust and an induction kit, you'll have a very lightweight racer running about 180bhp...
    Volvo V50 D5 R-Design

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by unkle View Post
    4th Gen Honda Civic 1.6 VTi (the VTEC one with the B16 engine) ... (stop laughing!)

Probably set you back about 600 for a half decent one, strip it out spend the rest on some new pads/discs/tires dont get the one with aircon and a sunroof both of these add about 50kg. If your funds have stretched a bit fit a decent exhaust and an induction kit, you'll have a very lightweight racer running about 180bhp...
    alas, i am not capable of wiring a plug, let alone stripping out a civic VTi, good shout though !!

Past motors
    -Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo
    -Peugeot 205 GTI
    -Vauxhall Nova SR

S3 Drift King!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    sorry a clio 172, not a cup, cheapest one on autotrader ia a shade over 1600, probably a dog, but i am sure it could be bartered down to 1300 quid !!

toyota soarer looking promising also.... sub 1200 quid and massive HP !!
    street cred - zero !
    Most of them are auto and they like a drink! And the suspension on them are really soft, so cornering is not exactly a strong point, you will probably struggle to sell it on also - avoid

Quote Originally Posted by unkle View Post

Try finding one.

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh! For Sale:LCR Brakes - £400

is a retronaut

Status
    When I saw the thread title it reminded me of a guy we met there once time who had a car locked in a garage he rented near the 'Ring and he would fly over and spend the whole weekend ragging around.

The car? A Clio 172!
    8P2 S3

For advice on Air Con problems please read my FAQs.
    To find ASN members with VCDS check out the MAP.

5th Gear

Status
    I don't think you would get much satisfaction driving around in a pile of ****e.......... Another disadvantage is that the barrier repair bill will be higher than the value of the car..................!!

So,,, the moral is,,, spend a bit more money on the car to help you stay on track.....And, increase enjoyment...!
    In my personal opinion

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain Old View Post
    I don't think you would get much satisfaction driving around in a pile of ****e.......... Another disadvantage is that the barrier repair bill will be higher than the value of the car..................!!

So,,, the moral is,,, spend a bit more money on the car to help you stay on track.....And, increase enjoyment...!

fair comment, but your could spend 3k, 4k 5k whatever, with the spanking it will get there is no guarantee it wont fall apart irrespective of how much cash is parted with, cant go far wrong with a 172, avec decent tyres

Past motors
    -Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo
    -Peugeot 205 GTI
    -Vauxhall Nova SR

5th Gear

Status
    Each to their own,,,,,,, makes the world go 'round..!

I just think it's worth serious consideration spending 1,500 on a decent set of brakes, and or suspension.......... rather than a bigger bill for the barrier repair.......

I've only been once, but all the old bangers I saw were actually properly sorted track cars!
    In my personal opinion

Spooly Spooly Boosty Boosty!

Status
    mk3 polo GT, cost about 600. Not the most powerful things in the world straight out the box but fun to drive. Spunk some cash on new brakes and suspension, fettle the engine a little, strip the interior and bingo bango you've got over 100bhp/ton. Plus you'll be able to shift it on without too many problems.

try http://www.clubpolo.co.uk
    Cheap and Reliable is not Fast. Cheap and Fast is not Reliable. Fast and Reliable is not Cheap!

is a retronaut

Status
    IMHO you only need to start spending money on brakes if you're really planning to hammer it. If it's just a bit of fun you want then as long as you don't take it to the limits you should be ok. There are some very good cars in the 1-2k bracket. Saw a 206 Gti 180 for 1900 so I don't think there's any need to spend money on the car itself.

Tyre are the most important thing though. A mate in an 8L S3 was the only one to crash and when we looked at his tyres they were unknown brand and a load of rubbish.
    8P2 S3

For advice on Air Con problems please read my FAQs.
    To find ASN members with VCDS check out the MAP.