Possible Problem Buying Car

TDIQ

8L > 8P > 8V
Reaction score
I went to view an A3 last week. We agreed on a price of £2350, and as an exhaust hanger and the fan temperature sensor was in need of a replacement, the guy who is selling me the car said he had a quote for £80, and he would pay that before I picked the car up. I put down a £200 deposit and told him I'd get the rest of the cash within a week.

However, I have recieved a call today and he said the car had been into the garage. He said they have replaced the following:

Thermostat
Temp Sensor
Electric fan and relay
Bleed old fluids and replace with new antifreeze and coolant
New exhaust rubber
Remove ARB and replace with new bushes.

This came to nearly £400, I realise that those aren't the proper descriptions but I didnt note them all down as I was in a rush.

He said he'd talk to me about it Saturday when I get the car, but I'm concerned if he then asks me to pay for half of it or something. The thing is, after I'd agreed the price and had a few days to think about it, I thought maybe I'd offered slightly too much as the mirror casings are cracked. No big deal but it's hassle to replace them.

What do you guys think he'll do? If he asks for a contribution what shall I say? I've got a written and signed receipt from the guy, and he's nice but I want to know where I stand with this.

Thanks

Agreed price is agreed price, what's written on the receipt? Did you agree to any of the work? If no, then ask for your deposit back and walk away... but if he isn't going to charge you for the work, pay the balance off and drive away a happy man.

If the deal has been done, I'd be interested to know the outcome. Sounds like the vendor played it pretty straight, and the car will go into the winter with a sound cooling system.