what are the "rules" with private number plates

E4 FENN

mr fenn
Reaction score
:confused:hiya everyone,if you buy a car with a private plate on it,does this mean you have the right to sell the plate if you have the v5 and tax/mot for the car....i have a dvla number plate certificate,but only states old reg number..? thanks for any help fenn

If you purchased a car with a private reg on, and a V5C arrives at your door, then you own the car, and the plate that's on it, so yes, you can sell it off. But ideally you need to retain your reg off the car and put a normal plate on your car before you sell it.

Yes you'll need to send the V5 back to DVLA along with the relevant form for putting the plate on retention (costs about £80 for a year). Can download forms from DVLA gov website. Or you can simply take it in to your local DVLA office if you have one. There is one in Nottingham which isn't too far from me.

Is the plate any good?

What's considered as a good plate? I have a private reg on mine(it was on there when I got the car). The reg plate is irrelevant to me as it's not my name.

hey again okay thanks for the help....the plate is B8 PWM......i want one the says my name...people think its vain hha .....would just buy one and put that on then sell the other....DVLA says its worth 500..

Yes you'll need to send the V5 back to DVLA along with the relevant form for putting the plate on retention (costs about £80 for a year). Can download forms from DVLA gov website. Or you can simply take it in to your local DVLA office if you have one. There is one in Nottingham which isn't too far from me.

Is the plate any good?

Keeping a number on retention only cost £25 a year. The £80 is to transfer it to another vehicle.

Keeping a number on retention only cost £25 a year. The £80 is to transfer it to another vehicle.

Correct, so when you take a reg off the car, the total cost is £105, £80 for the transfer fee to be paid in advance, and £25 to retain it on a certificate vaid for 12 months, and requires £25 every 12 months if not put on a car. Another thing you need to take note when a reg is on retention is the nominees on the certifitcate. The Nominee is the name which of the person(s) wish to put the reg plate on the car, it has to match, or you will need to pay £20 extra to add an nominee to the list.

E.G. Mr X(nominee) can on put his private plate onto a car owned by Mr X, Mr Y would need to pay £20 to add Mr Y onto the nomnee list before he can put the reg plate onto his own car.

What's considered as a good plate? I have a private reg on mine(it was on there when I got the car). The reg plate is irrelevant to me as it's not my name.

Does it say something like "B4RB4R4"? or "CR4ZY CH1K"?

My car came with a private plate on it, it was included in the sale of the vechicle. I've had the car almost 2 years now and I have never paid anything =/ am i breaking the law?

My car came with a private plate on it, it was included in the sale of the vechicle. I've had the car almost 2 years now and I have never paid anything =/ am i breaking the law?

No, the plate belongs to the car, and if you own the car, you own the plate - simples.

lol so after all that...jojo i own the plate because i own the car...thats great thanks very much...

B8 PWM is worth £500 ??? Can`t see the piont in initial number plates, If they say something then maybe but in general all cars come with a private plate lol :p