Chris NottAH Fabrications
    mr fenn

Status

what are the "rules" with private number plates

hiya everyone,if you buy a car with a private plate on it,does this mean you have the right to sell the plate if you have the v5 and tax/mot for the car....i have a dvla number plate certificate,but only states old reg number..? thanks for any help fenn

2. # ADS
    ADS

S3 Drift King!

Status
    If you purchased a car with a private reg on, and a V5C arrives at your door, then you own the car, and the plate that's on it, so yes, you can sell it off. But ideally you need to retain your reg off the car and put a normal plate on your car before you sell it.

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh!

5th Gear

Status
    Yes you'll need to send the V5 back to DVLA along with the relevant form for putting the plate on retention (costs about 80 for a year). Can download forms from DVLA gov website. Or you can simply take it in to your local DVLA office if you have one. There is one in Nottingham which isn't too far from me.

Is the plate any good?
    Current: RenaultSport Clio 172
    Previous: 2001 ('51) S3 Quattro
    Previous: 2001 E46 M3 Coupe
    Previous: 2001 Civic Type R

1st Gear

Status
    What's considered as a good plate? I have a private reg on mine(it was on there when I got the car). The reg plate is irrelevant to me as it's not my name.

mr fenn

Status
    hey again okay thanks for the help....the plate is B8 PWM......i want one the says my name...people think its vain hha .....would just buy one and put that on then sell the other....DVLA says its worth 500..

Quote Originally Posted by ianysm View Post
    Yes you'll need to send the V5 back to DVLA along with the relevant form for putting the plate on retention (costs about 80 for a year). Can download forms from DVLA gov website. Or you can simply take it in to your local DVLA office if you have one. There is one in Nottingham which isn't too far from me.

Is the plate any good?
    Keeping a number on retention only cost 25 a year. The 80 is to transfer it to another vehicle.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

S3 Drift King!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by h5djr View Post
    Keeping a number on retention only cost 25 a year. The 80 is to transfer it to another vehicle.
    Correct, so when you take a reg off the car, the total cost is 105, 80 for the transfer fee to be paid in advance, and 25 to retain it on a certificate vaid for 12 months, and requires 25 every 12 months if not put on a car. Another thing you need to take note when a reg is on retention is the nominees on the certifitcate. The Nominee is the name which of the person(s) wish to put the reg plate on the car, it has to match, or you will need to pay 20 extra to add an nominee to the list.

E.G. Mr X(nominee) can on put his private plate onto a car owned by Mr X, Mr Y would need to pay 20 to add Mr Y onto the nomnee list before he can put the reg plate onto his own car.

Banned

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Davsurfa View Post
    What's considered as a good plate? I have a private reg on mine(it was on there when I got the car). The reg plate is irrelevant to me as it's not my name.
    Does it say something like "B4RB4R4"? or "CR4ZY CH1K"?

3rd Gear

Status
    My car came with a private plate on it, it was included in the sale of the vechicle. I've had the car almost 2 years now and I have never paid anything =/ am i breaking the law?

S3 Drift King!

Status

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by JoeD View Post
    My car came with a private plate on it, it was included in the sale of the vechicle. I've had the car almost 2 years now and I have never paid anything =/ am i breaking the law?
    No, the plate belongs to the car, and if you own the car, you own the plate - simples.

mr fenn

Status
    lol so after all that...jojo i own the plate because i own the car...thats great thanks very much...

thats me

Status
    B8 PWM is worth 500 ??? Can`t see the piont in initial number plates, If they say something then maybe but in general all cars come with a private plate lol :P
    red to red black to black blue to bits

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    I like private plates, hides the age of your car

"Will these wheel fit my car PM's will not be replied to, do you research & use the SEARCH button"

Detailing - Wheel Refurbishment - Shark Performance Software - VagbremTechnic Dealer - OEM Retrofitting - Remus - V-Maxx - Goodridge