Looking for a new car. Your opinions

Jay

Reaction score
I’m planning on selling the A3 soon and have been looking at something a little bigger. I’ve basically narrowed it down to a 330 M Sport saloon and either a WRX prodrive or STI. The 330 preferably on a 54 plate and Scooby 04/05 plate. At the moment there doesn’t seem to be many 330’s around or in my price range, (around 9K) Scooby’s are about 1k cheaper than the 330’s.

Does anyone have any experience of either?

Basically what would you buy and why?

thanks

Not driven a 330i, but have driven the 328i, a new 335i and owned a BMW 318ti for quite a few years and so without a doubt BMW would be for me.....yes I can be a bit of a badge snob, but the quality is far far superior to either a Scooby or Evo and that matters to me.

The 330i I count as a real world car as servicing is no different to a small engined car in the range and so has the standard high millage service interval unlike a Scooby.

There is also the image that comes with both cars, and I could handle the image that comes with a BMW (even though it can be bad), but a Scooby I just couldn't.

Again on the interior part the seats in BMW's I find sublime and the ergonmics just right, but you would need to sit in both and determine which suits you.

I would personally get bored of seeing a scooby outside of my house everyday, unlike the 330i which is a lot less in your face, but has the goods when it needs it, however 4WD, superior handling and bang for you buck make a good case for the Scoooooob.

If you have ruled out an Evo then I would think almost the same reasoning applies to the Scooby.

Have you thought about an S4, then you get to stick around here ;) ?

Not driven a 330i, but have driven the 328i, a new 335i and owned a BMW 318ti for quite a few years and so without a doubt BMW would be for me.....yes I can be a bit of a badge snob, but the quality is far far superior to either a Scooby or Evo and that matters to me.

The 330i I count as a real world car as servicing is no different to a small engined car in the range and so has the standard high millage service interval unlike a Scooby.

There is also the image that comes with both cars, and I could handle the image that comes with a BMW (even though it can be bad), but a Scooby I just couldn't.

Again on the interior part the seats in BMW's I find sublime and the ergonmics just right, but you would need to sit in both and determine which suits you.

I would personally get bored of seeing a scooby outside of my house everyday, unlike the 330i which is a lot less in your face, but has the goods when it needs it, however 4WD, superior handling and bang for you buck make a good case for the Scoooooob.

If you have ruled out an Evo then I would think almost the same reasoning applies to the Scooby.

Have you thought about an S4, then you get to stick around here ;) ?

Damn, there's a name I'd never thought I'd see again! Hows you? I see you disappeared to the dark side lol

How the devil are you Khufu?! Thought all of the old faces had gone!

No I've not gone that way as I still have my A3 in Holland, and had the BMW before the A3. I only drive the A3 about a month a year when I'm back in Holland on my hols, and so will sell it at some point.

I took a completely different step when I moved to Dubai last January and bought a new Land Rover LR2 (Freelander 2) which is great in the sand. It's got a bit of go with the inline 6, 3.2 petrol engine, but by August I was craveing my speed again, especially as I knew the race track which is only 5 minutes away was calling me, so I went and got myself a nice fully loaded and chipped red Porsche Cayman S to keep the LR2 company.

I see you kept your loyalities to Audi then, and guess you've got some pics in your gallery so will take a look when I get a chance.

Will try and stick around here again....but we'll see....good to hear from you again.

How the devil are you Khufu?! Thought all of the old faces had gone!

No I've not gone that way as I still have my A3 in Holland, and had the BMW before the A3. I only drive the A3 about a month a year when I'm back in Holland on my hols, and so will sell it at some point.

I took a completely different step when I moved to Dubai last January and bought a new Land Rover LR2 (Freelander 2) which is great in the sand. It's got a bit of go with the inline 6, 3.2 petrol engine, but by August I was craveing my speed again, especially as I knew the race track which is only 5 minutes away was calling me, so I went and got myself a nice fully loaded and chipped red Porsche Cayman S to keep the LR2 company.

I see you kept your loyalities to Audi then, and guess you've got some pics in your gallery so will take a look when I get a chance.

Will try and stick around here again....but we'll see....good to hear from you again.

I disappeared from the forum for a while too.

Sold the old A3 - guy had it for 7 weeks & this:

newwe007.jpg

Bought a 2.0 Fsi & decided to freshen up front :

footofnevis-1.jpg

Fitted front S3 bumper, Rear Sline/S3 bumper with parking sensors, s-line defuser, FBMFSW, RNS-E.

Do you ever hear from Drill?

Dubahi sounds good, as does Porsche!!!

You never could help yourself from playing with your A3......but your new one is looking awesome, love the S3 bumpers!! Shame about your old one, but atleast it wasn't you.

I vanished from here and Tyresmoke a while back and then strated back with Freelander2 webiste then porsche and now back on here, but think Drill vanished a long time back from tyresmoke. He got a Cooper S before he headed back stateside, but after that he was on Tyresmoke for a bit and then....gone....

try a bmw or scooby site!!!! This one is biased!

like he said mate, biased lol

stick with audi mate, cant go wrong. STI will be like running an S4 as in maintenance terms as im told, nice car but way too common for my liking but i like individual.

BM for me evertime I think. Nothing against the Scooby's but I would think it's a very different driving experience (I've never driven one though) - BM much classier and more refined IMO - I'm heartily sick of jumped by Scooby's with their boomy exhausts waking up the whole town in honesty!

i will go with the subaru..but not a newage lol,, i would go for something like a P1,,thay seem to hold there price a wee bit better....or if you do decide to get a newage (blobeye or hawkeye) get the JDM STI,,thay come better equipped......

have a look around hear mate,,,great bunch of guys,,am sure thay wil help you out anyway thay can,,,,,you might even have a meet in you area,,pop down to it (you would be more than welcome),,and you never know 1 off the members might take you out:icon_thumright:

http://forums.sidc.co.uk/index.php?

and

http://bbs.scoobynet.com/forum.php

IMHO....RS6 FTW :) I know its nothing like you are looking at but... You got quattro and its an estate and is sooooooo nice. I drove a scooby at a track day and it was rubbarsh I would have an Evo 10 any day of the week :)

give me the evo VIII/IV anyday over scoobys, if you are going for a scobby then get the RB320 very rare and the best looking scooby around i think, mitso over subaru all the time

The BM six is a classic engine, they run forever and can be well tuned.

What about an M3? You can pick them up around 10k now, 340bhp N/A so the power is just like a massive surge all the way round the rev counter.

thanks for the replies guys. Will have a look on the other forums.