S3 has Gone :(

vrbob

Thats no Moon, Thats a space station!
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Been a while since i have been on here to post anything (had a quick read of some post here and there but not contributed for a while).

Reason being i have been busy looking for something to replace the S3 as my daily commuting car. I forgot how long and annoying a process looking for a second hand car can be!

Anyway i have now put a deposit on a car which i get at the end of the month and a nice guy came along this morning and bought my S3 so now i am carless for a whole week :crying:

Gonna miss the S3 but it was getting annoying sitting in traffic most of the time i was driving it watching the petrol gauge quickly moving to the E.

I have stuck with Audi as the new (second hand car) is an B6 A4 Avant 1.9Tdi Quattro Sport and i think i may well look for something fun for the weekends and maybe some trackdays like a Mk2/3 golf Gti or similar.

So from now on you should find me over in the A4 section as i am sure there will be some questions i need answered once i have the A4.

Glad your going to be still an active member Bob and hope your fuel bill lessens

Cheers Voorhees defo gonna stick around. And if my fuel bill doesnt go down i will be most annoyed.

Rob!!! nooooooo dont go matey!! :crying:

na glad ya found sumat else more appropriate mate..... keep nipping in and saying 'ello' :salute:

The savings in fuel, tax & insurance = mod like feck, lol

Would of loved an S4 but as sitting in the S3 in traffic was doing my head in the S4 would of been worse!

Glad i managed to buy another Audi as i wanted to be able to stick around here and annoy you guys every so often.

Looking forward to not visiting my local shell garage as regularly and with the money saved i am already looking into remaps :) as i quite like the look of the chip n spin ST3 gizmo.

As i said earlier i will also be looking for something petrol powered for a bit o fun at the weekends and possibly some trackday fun too. Not too sure what exactly but cheap n cheerful yet good to drive is the idea me thinks.

Concidering a corrado as i have always liked them anyone got any experience of them?

Concidering a corrado as i have always liked them anyone got any experience of them?

Not driven one myself and always liked them, never hear bad things about them neither, apart from the gearbox gearing is wrong in the VR6 model, but with the torque of a 2.9 V6, I doubt you'd care. :racer:

Cheers Jojo, are the 2.0 16v and the G60 versions any good or is the VR6 really the only one to go for?

VR6 highline mate! You will love it!

Hey Faz,

You had one of the VR6's before then??

Dunno why but i like the idea of the supercharged 1.8

According to mag reviews, the VR6 is the one to have, it's also got a bonnet bulge so looks meaner. I prefer the looks of the sleek 2.0 16V personally, G60's are high maintenance when the G-Ladder super charger is due a rebuild.

Yeah good advice as i want fun cheap motoring not huge repair bills, will see what sort of stuff is about as i can take my time over finding something.

Yeah good advice as i want fun cheap motoring not huge repair bills, will see what sort of stuff is about as i can take my time over finding something.

I'd go with a Mk2 Golf GTI, I got my 1989 example insured on classic car policy with no no claims needed, and I declared alloys and suspension on it. Picked up some Koni Suspension and 15" Alloys for under £300 on Ed38, I'll just take them off and get my money back when I sell the car! Happy Days :)

All ready for fitting on a Sunny day. The silver doors you can see in the top right are for my Passat also, for those who know what I'm on about. :)

05082009162.jpg

Corrados are ace:icon_thumright:

The G60 feels quicker than the bhp figures suggest and are tuneable. Problem will be getting a good one.

I bought a minter (many moons ago) with 90K, full VWSH on the original charger. So took the route of preventative re build which cost £350 (circa 10 years ago mind) at BRM - Brian Ricketts Motorsport.
iirc a rebuild every 40K will cause the G lader to outlast the car! I think people like Jabba offer the same service, add a chip & pulley and you have 180bhp.

That said, the VR6 was brilliant, nicer noise, faster, and probably a tougher car.
And if you are spending time in traffic, the G60 wont be much more economic than the VR if at all.

Get a good one and you can spend a bit maintaining it knowing that its not depreciating, looking cool at the same time.

cheers
Paul