EM TuningSky Insurance
    4th Gear

Status

Question about registration retention form v778

Hi everyone

Last august I bought myself a private plate "XX XXX" and assigned it to my car - now I wish to sell my car, so first I need to get the plate off the car as I want to keep the plate for my next car. I currently don't have a car in mind to assign it to so rather than completing a transfer form I've completed the retention form v778 and written a cheque for 105 (daylight robbery!) ready to be sent off.

My first question is when I get the papers back will it say to stick my original number plate back on (XX52 XXX) or will it be a new one?

Also another question, I know they don't need the tax disc just the serial number but am I correct in thinking I need to send them my V5 with (XX XXX) reg on it and my current MOT also with my current reg on? I understand I shall be given a new V5 with an old 52 plate reg written on it, but will I be sent a new MOT certificate? If so, how do they recreate the signature of the tester etc?

Never retained a plate before so advice from you guys who've done it before would be muchly appreciated to put my mind at rest

Cheers

Drew
    Last edited by buckas; 30th September 2008 at 23:20.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Administrator

Status
    Hiya mate,

As I understand it (I'm just holding on to an XX XXX plate for myself at the moment! )

To hit your questions in order:

1) I don't think you'll be issued the original '52' registration, it'll be a new one.
    2) They need the serial number and expiry date of the tax-disc. They need the V5 and the current MOT.

a) A new V5 with the replacement '52' registration will be made.
    b) You'll not get a new MOT certificate, it'll just be 'stamped' by the DVLA to indicate the revised registration.

You're posting to the DVLA then yeah? It's all pretty painless, but it's quicker to be processed if you can get to a DVLA local office...

Hope that helps mate,

Rob.

EDIT: This might be useful too, if you haven't seen it already... http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...tes/DG_4022575
    The truth they're trying to keep from you is that IPv6 has nothing to do with address space; we're actually running out of full stops.

4th Gear

Status
    Yeh posting it to swansea address (sandringham place one) round trip of about 120 miles for me so will post it for easyness, not in a rush anyhoo

Thanks very much for your help!

Drew

Status
    The chances are they will give you back your original plate. I've changed my plates over (mine and the Mrs) a fair few times in the last 15 years and always had the original plate back.

As faction has said they will just stamp the MOT certificate but you will get a new V5 through the post. I've just put Claires plate on her ML and I had a new V5 back within a week.

J.
    Married and blonde yes, but still a guy with a poor taste in usernames!

Mercedes Benze E-class 350 sport convertable, black, pacha grey leather, 19" AMG rims, HK stero and a few more toys
    VW Scirocco 2.0Tsi GT with Revo stage 2, evoms induction kit, lowered, short shift, miltek
    BMW 330 Coupe M sport Black, Black leather, Nav and a lot of other options.
    BMW Z4 Coupe Sport in black with a few toys - going friday and gonna be missed by my lad.
    A3 2.0Tdi S-Line DSG. Gone but not forgotten

4th Gear

Status
    Thanks matey

Drew

1st Gear

Status
    Ok
    Here is how it works
    You fill in the form to ask permission to out it on retention and your log book
    send it off and wait
    they send you a new tax disc and plate number ( normally the old one).
    you send the old tax disc back then they send you the new log book only once you get the new V5C can you technically sell the car.

or read this
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...tes/DG_4022575

I alway got to the DVLA office to do all mine sometimes they will do them as you wait (normally putting the reg on the new car bit), but going to the local office always helps speed it up to start with. However Avoid the first 10 working days of the month (tax disc nightmare as every one tries to get there cars taxed.)
    Last edited by g60jet; 1st October 2008 at 19:14.
    |Present: 2005 B7 Audi A4 Avant 2.0T FSI Quattro S-Line|DIS|Phatbox|Aircon'd Glove Box|Ambiant Light Pack|
    |Gf's Motor: 2003 8L Audi A3 18.T Sport | Standard |
    |Previously: SEAT LEON FR TDI|German Spec Corrado G60 JET LHD|Mk2 Golf Cab|Mk2 Fiesta 1.4s|

1st Gear

Status
    Hi Guys,

Sorry to bring up an old post but I guess you are in the know.

I just agreed to buy a car but the owner needs to put the private plate that is currently on it on retention, he seemed to think this will take a few days and the car will be available to collect in 1 week. I just spoke to the DVLA and they told me it will be 7-10 days untill the owner will receive confirmation that the plate retention has been accepted then a firther 30 days before the V5 is sent back meaning I could be waiting 6 weeks?
    Is this actually the case as 6 weeks is a long time?
    Thanks
    Audi S3 2001. Black on Black. OE Sat Nav/Freeview. Bose. 18" Audi/BBS Splits. 10+16mm Spacers. KW Coilovers. Forge DV,tip and intercooler pipes. KnN Panel Filter. Oh and the essential Re-map. GONE