Car Sellers Beware!

Z82

Reaction score
Website
www.nosmodified.com
As some of you will know I have my A4 for sale. It went live today on Autotrader and I had an email within an hour of it going live.
Im a bit suspicious of the email as it looks to be a scam to me but having never advertised a car before (always sold word of mouth or traded in previously) I dont really know what to expect.

Heres the 2 emails I received, give me your thoughts please.

My name is ***** *****,
Goodday sir/ma,i saw your used car ads and i will like to know if your car is still available for sale..i am okay with all informations posted with the ads..but i will like to know the followings..
1),the present condition of the Car?
2),your reason for selling it?
3),Your final asking price ?
and also e-mail me full details on the car?
I will like you to get back to me so that we can proceed with the transaction..i wait your reply soonest..
note: *********@hotmail.com
Regards.

My reply answered all his above questions with a bit of a speel.

Hi *****,
Thanks so much for your kind of lovely mail,am happy to hear from you that the car is still available for me to buy it from you,Pls i will want u to give me more details on the Shock Absover,Engine,Radiator,tires condition and the documentation of the car.So i will want you to please email me it's full details and the reason why you are selling it,also when is the m.o.t expires.just to let you know that i am not in the position to make call right now cos my phone dont have the permit to make an international call.So you dont need to worry once we conclude on everything i will locate a local pay phone station to give you a call.
Really just to let u know that as for the payment and the shipping arrangment,I will be willing to pay you with a Uk banker's Draft which will clear between 3-4 days in any Uk bank and as for the shipping i will handle that myself by contacting my international shipping agent and my machanic to really handle that for me.Also can u help me send some pics of it if u can and if not u dont need to worry urself about that am ok with this one.
As for the price i am okey with it....
If u are ok with me then u can mail me back and let us conclude on everything today.

Thanks soo much .....

Everything he asked about in the second email was either answered in reply to the first or was in the advert, which I politely told him in reply to this one and then asked him where he aws located if not within the UK.
Awaiting his next reply.

Aye deffinately a scam I'd say, avoids my questions each time:

Hiii Good Day,

Wow thanks soo much for the mail and yea i its really my taste,i cant wait to see it.As for the payment i will ask my Bussines Accosociate to issue a Certified Uk Bank Draft of £7,800 and once u get the cheque u are to get The Cheque deposited into ur bank account and once it clears u deduct the cost of the Car which is £2,495 u deduct £200 am willing to give u for ur efforts.U are to help me wire the balance inform of a cash via western union the same day u get the cash to my shipper and in just 2 or days after my shipping agent will come down to ur location for the pick-up right thre at ur location.

Pls i will need the following ful datas from u.
Name....(to be on the cheque)
Full Address.....
State....
Postal Code....
Country.....
Telephone number...(Cell,Office,Home,)

Pls i will really be glad if u could get the balance wired the same day the cheque clears ur account cos am highly sure that once my shipper get the balance from u is going to come down to ur location in just 2 or days after for the pick-up.
Thanks soo much and i look up to ur email today....
Allan...

Reactions: Audi kid
We are based in Lanzarote here in Spain and i speak spanish were work in the construction business as a dispatcher but originally from Wales (Dad if from Wales and mum from Lanzarote Spain).

I wait your details if you are okey with my term of payment so that we can procesed.
i wait your reply soon.
Allan.....

The key is in the fact that they make no reference to the actual model they are interested in, just "the car", so you know its a generic scam email.
I had about 4 or 5 of these when I was selling my mums mini.
You'd be better off on pistonheads

Yeh its a deffo a scam mate, I have seen it before. Without wishing to teach you to suck eggs, don't agree to anything, not even a viewing without talking to the buyer on the phone. Preferably on a number he has given you and you have rung him on :icon_thumright:

Yeah I sussed it was a scam but I was trying to suss why since he hasnt asked for my bank details and only wants name and address which I could (as could many others) work around safely so I thought...

Drug dealing?

They pay me the £7800
I bank it, pay the shippers.
There guy over here stashes a large quantity of drugs in (what is still on paper) my car.

If it gets intercepted who is to blame?
Well that would be me as I paid the shipper and the car is still in my name.

Nah Im staying well clear of this one, if he wants an Audi that bad he can get a ferry to Germany ;)

you bank the cheque that doesn't exist and pay them on the same day the difference -which is the money they make from the scam, tell them if they want to collect the car its on the moon.

What I find hilarious is the absolute ******* english used in the emails, I've gotten a few from carzone.ie when I tried to sell my quattro. Stay well clear of all these type of emails. I got one before from some nigerian guy with a phone number so I rang it out of curiousity and they actually answered. He didn't even know what the car was when I questioned him!

This reminds me of the phone jacker pranks and the Nigerian guy asking for bank details. Take Steve's advice, wind the feckers up and post it in here. Could do with a laugh :)

Reactions: pixi
Yup I just got another, this time from a guy in Irland with a phone number but very similar to the first email from the spanish guy but better english.

Well post that bad boy! I'm Irish, it could've been me! :p

We need to remove the monies.....clean the monies.....and then put the monies back...

Reactions: RS3dan
That does look like a bit of an odd scam, I'd guess that it's a simple identity theft thing, pretty certain they're asking for enough info to get the ball rolling on that score.

Used to see a *lot* of these in one of my old jobs and they always, *always* give themselves away with their awful spelling and grammar. An amazingly large number of them also seem to be from Nigeria, seems to be one of the country's biggest exports ;)

Reactions: Davey-c
Well post that bad boy! I'm Irish, it could've been me! :p

Here yas go :)

First guy: jayneallandavid@yahoo.co.uk

Second guy:

Attn Seller,
I am interested in purchasing from you the above CAR listed . I am presently residing in rep of ireland and would like to know if ad is still valid,

1. The Last price
2. Condition
3. Recent pics

I would be glad to hear from you positively.
Regards,
Corn Moris
+447045753766
cornmoris@yahoo.com

Second mail which I've just ignored:

Hello *****,

Thanks for your swift response,I'm very much interested in the {CAR }at your asking price. I read and understand his in good condition..Am not in the Machester at the moment,I'm in United State on honeymoon and I'll not return till in few weeks time..Meanwhile,i really want this transaction to get completed before my arrival..So,I'll instruct my colleague in the UK to issue you a Cheque in your name and having it in mind that business is based on trust,when you receive the cheque, take it to your bank and get it cash,Deduct your amount due for the purchase[£2495] and remit the remaining funds via western union money transfer to my reputable shipping Agent information in London,whom will take care of the pick up at your location.If agreed get back to me with all the details below :-

Info needed as follows:

1)Name as to be written on cheque
2)Full address to where the cheque will be mailed out to
3)Phone # so as to contact you

Looking forward to having your reply.

My Regards,
Corn Moris...

"remit the remaining funds via western union money transfer to my reputable shipping Agent information in London..."

This has all the hallmarks of a 'cash back' scam. Someone tried it on with me a few years ago when I advertised some Hi-Fi gear. I got a cheque for twice the advertised amount followed by an apologetic e-mail asking me to forward the excess funds to a 'shipper' to whom the buyer supposedly owed money. I smelled a rat when he insisted I used Western Union to transfer the money, and flatly refused any other method. After some investigation I realised exactly what was going on and played the guy along for a while, knowing full well the cheque would bounce.

Basically, if you use Western Union the transfer is almost immediate - you have little or no comeback if something goes wrong and by the time you cotton on to what's happening you're screwed.

I forwarded all the ********'s bank, address and contact details to fraud.alert@met.police.uk but all they did was reply a fortnight(!) later telling me not to send the guy any money. Hmmm :think:

Speedy service from our plod then. Still they are far to busy dealing with hardened criminals who do 33mph in a 30 limit

Reactions: KIll_the_cameras
When my friend advertised his car on ebay the same thing happened (pay you over the asking and you give me the extra etc) he thought it was someone trying to launder money or something so went along with it and they sent him a bankers draft which he took to the bank and they told him it was stolen. These scams rely on peoples greed (as do most). My friend thought he was going to get more money than his car was worth by helping someone launder money but in the end he would have just got his car nicked.

Received this email from jayneallananddavid@yahoo.co.uk

Hi Good Day,

Thanks so much for the mail and yea just to let u know that i am not in the position to make call right now cos my phone don't have the permit to make an international call.So u don't need to worry once we conclude on everything i will locate a local pay phone station to give u a call.But am really ok with the details i got from the web site and its really my taste.

Please i will want u to give me more details on the following.

1)Shock absorber? 2)Engine? 3)Radiator? 4)Tires condition? 5)Has it got a full history? 6)Have you got old MOT’s? 7)How much tax and mot are left? 8)When is the next service due? 9)Has the cambelt been changed? 10)Has it ever been crashed? 11)How long have you owned it? 13)How many miles has it done?13)Is there anything at all wrong with it (please include anything even trivial things).

Really just to let u know that as for the payment,i will be paying with a Certified Banker Draft drawn from a local bank in UK and as for the shipping i will handle that myself by contacting my international shipping agent to really handle that for me.Also can u help me send more pics of it if u can and if not u don't need to worry yourself about that am ok with this one.Really I based in Odessa here in Ukraine were i work as a Mechanical engineer but originally from Wales(Dad is from Wale and mum from Oslo Noway).As for the price i will want u to let me know the last price so that the payment can be sent.If u are ok with me then u can mail me back and let us conclude on everything today.

Thanks so much...

Regards...

A mate in the office had exactly the same email selling a Pug.

Scam.

I think the best bit is when the (automated) email from someone in <insert country outside the UK here> asks how much MOT and VED is left. Like it matters when all they're supposed to be doing is driving it to the docks...

Regards,

Rob.

This is the email I received

My name is Allan David,
Goodday sir/ma,i saw your used car ads and i will like to know if your car is still available for sale..i am okay with all informations posted with the ads..but i will like to know the followings..

1),the present condition of the Car?
2),your reason for selling it?
3),Your final asking price ?
and also e-mail me full details on the car?

I will like you to get back to me so that we can proceed with the transaction..i wait your reply soonest..
note: jayneallandavid@yahoo.co.uk
Regards.
Allan.....

I check on google and find this email address does appear on a car-sale website. http://www.auto4you.co.uk/index.cfm?page=dealerdirectory

I also received another two emails for this guy, telling me his wife dying for buying my car and I really help a lot etc. Seems like I am the god or sth. I almost agree to talk the deal through until I found this chat site. You guys really help a lot and I decide not to reply him anymore.
A little bit sad that I have to back down the road to sell my car and glad to be safe

just get them to western union a small deposit first lmao

I just got another (after having car off the market for a few weeks) I told him the car was selling for £210,000.00 he was delighted LMAO and asked for my details to post a cheque (with extra on it for his fees as the agent) so I gave him the name of a DSI and address of a London police station, just got a reply saying cheque has been posted out LOL

so I gave him the name of a DSI and address of a London police station, just got a reply saying cheque has been posted out LOL

hahaha, now that is funny, going to remember that one

just received the following email :
Hello,
I regret the delay of my response.
I already have many emails so I hope you'll understand that I need to sort them.
My name is Jane Williams I have 31 years old and I was doctor for 3 years in Leeds. I am glad you are
interested in my car 2006 Audi RS4 quattro 4.2.
First, I want you to know that I lived in Leeds until 2 months ago, but now I'm in Bulgaria because I am
pregnant and I have decided to give birth in my home country so I want to sell my car and move back in Bulgaria.
The car is in perfect working condition. It's in showroom condition, no scratches, no dents, full service
history, HPI clear, no outstanding finance, non-smoking, never involved in any accident.
The car is still UK registered and now it is locked in my garage in Leeds. If you dicide to buy it you will
receive the original invoice, logbook, keys and all the documents to register it into your name .
Genuine reason for sale: unfortunately I can't register the car here because you know it is very hard to drive
a Right-hand car here.
I want £6500 + shipping to your door for the car. To calculate the shipping fees send me your address.
Due to amount involved and due the fact that I am not located in the United Kingdom, I only accept third party transaction mediator.
I have chosen the ebay Shipping Center Program to take care of all the proceedings, so the car will be shipped by ebay.
Beside shipping the car, ebay will act as the middle man - holding the payment until you receive and inspect
it. You will have one week inspection period.
Regarding the payment method I would like to use ebay like a third part for the payment because in my opinion this is the safest way to handle the transaction. You will have the car for inspection and test drive BEFORE any money is released to me.
Look how this work:
1. I will contact them , and I will send your shipping information to ebay to open the transaction.
2. They will send you a payment invoice for the car (the invoice will be from customer support team) about
how to make the payment.
3. The invoice contains all the info about this transaction and you must follow the steps written there to
complete the deal with me.
4. After all that will be done, the car will be shipped by ebay, and the car will arrive at your address in
3 to 5 days..
5. Buyer accepts delivery and informs eBay to tell them if he is satisfied or not
6. ebay will release the money to the seller(in case the buyer is satisfied) or to the buyer(in case that
he is not satisfied).
This means a 3rd party.
You will receive a tracking # in the same day when the car will be shipped from ebay.
I am using the protection and shipping program offered by ebay Shipping Center because this will protect both of us and also it is the fastest way to complete this deal.
If you want to go on with this deal , mail me immediately your shipping address to contact ebay and calculate
the shipping cost .
There are some pictures of the car:
http://i37.tinypic.com/119up1d.jpg
http://i33.tinypic.com/27yrt5.jpg
http://i34.tinypic.com/w02esg.jpg
Let me know if you are interested ...
Jane

Thats a classic, I think we should all put our minds together and come up with come funny responses.

like tell me you'd send them the amount in dollars, and send them the amount in zwd (zimbabwe dollars) which i believe is 25million zwd = 1 dollar US to get something from them to prove the car exists. i know this wouldnt work in practise but you get my way of thinking.

sounds a good idea I'll have a think and come up with summat....zwd sounds good

meet the guy and burn him ... another scamming nigerian there the worst for it and before anyone gets politically correct ..its fact.... deport the lot and sink the boat if they dont have anything positive to give exept try and rape the country....

Reactions: TonyH38 and andrew onion
meet the guy and burn him ... another scamming nigerian there the worst for it and before anyone gets politically correct ..its fact.... deport the lot and sink the boat if they dont have anything positive to give exept try and rape the country....

Asians are the worst for car buying.
Surprised none of you have had a call asking what's the lowest price you'll take for it without them every actually having come to view the car or even contacted you before.
Yeah cos that £2600 I put in the ad. was just a random number off the top of my head...

(I'm not racist, nor am I saying that ALL asian people are like this. Just from my experience, it only seems to be asians that phone up asking stupid things like this...)

This seems to be a very common scam.

www.419eater.com has some good info on how the scam works and some hilarious reverse scams where the 'victim' got their own back.

wow..i think its cloning another car, if by the end they have every bit of info on the car and on you including address details. very dodgy. if the interest comes from the auto trader, they do have a fraud dept you can inform.

and the asian comment!!! how do you know if they are or not when you only speak over the phone. not fair to post comment away from this subject.

.NIGERIANS . SCAMMING ARSEH*OLES

And yes when selling my audi a3 most of the asain's went 2 grand below price , wanted the recaro baby seat throw in , and to sleep with my wife .4 out of 5 wanted this deal ...lol

Last edited:
...and lastly sah, I just require your PIN code numbah...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: andrew onion
lol my Dad had a letter from Spain once telling him he had won the spanish lottery, a couple of million, all he had to do was sent his bank details, address, inside leg measurements, etc etc.....

scary thing is ... some people still fall for this nonsense..otherwise why would they still be doing it?