Difference between owning a car in France and the UK.

Vanessa

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

i have an Audi A3 2009 1.9TDI In France.

MOT. Every two years called a control technique in France.

No road tax, but we have to pay every time we use the autoroute.

We do have to pay a one of car registration tax when we buy the car whether new or second hand.

when selling a car it must have at least 18 months left on the MOT, if not it has to have a new one done before been able to sell it.

also they have this strange rule in France, for example if your driving through a town or village you have to give way to anyone coming from a side road on the right. They have priority over you, even at a crossroad. This causes so many accidents with non French residents.

And you cannot use any power in France whatsoever or else you will get fined 750 euro and banned for 4 months like i did !

AND..they drive on the wrong side!!

Reactions: DieselJake
AND..they drive on the wrong side!!

That's right. I think the biggest difference between owning a car in France is the fact that the steering wheels are on the wrong side, probably because of the reason you mention here.

And the owners manual is probably in french too.

Not sure what you are treated like by the government in France, but over here I have the pleasure of being treated like a 2nd class citizen by the goverment because I happen to own a car, and may want to use it on a road - despite the fact that I use it to drive to work, out of which proceedings the government earns 40% of my salary in tax. Lovely.

*rant over*

I've been warned by many friends I will have to be careful with my right foot in France as they don't like British speeders.

no they just don't like the british