T4 vs S2000

DieselJake

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
These may sound like two really strange cars to compare but I'm looking for a second car and can't decide what to go for. Driven a van before and absolutely loved it. Both have reliable engines (T4 will be 1.9tdi) and they're both not too bad on fuel, one's obviously more practical but the other more fun, one I can leave in a carpark and not worry about the other I will, one's fast and the other not so much but everyone will get out the way for it which is good on our roads.

This is similar to how each will end up looking when my touches are added

2nlouq.jpg

IMAG0122.jpg

Just looking for some input

They don't do a t4 with the 1.9Tdi engine, only Td which is slow and underpowered. Either look for a 2.5 tdi or swap a golf mk3 engine and add a VNT turbo- it's quite easy swap ! I would go for the t4 any day, it's so practical and future proof ! need to take mine for a drive soon, did not drive it in months now...

Ah damn that could be the deal breaker don't think I could stomach that engine, 2.5tdi would be decent but it's just maintaining and keeping the engine going that I would struggle with. T4's definately good for all occasions, bed in the back beats wind in the hair any day haha will have to go S2000 though if I can't get what I want engine wise.

Actually the 2.5 tdi is rather easy on maintenance, apart from timing belt being a little more complicated to do and iffy vacuum pumps there is not much going wrong with them- hence strong re-sale values ! Remember the tdi's are easy to tune up- with 0.260 nozzles and hybrid turbo you're well into the 180 Bhp teritory... As i said, tdi conversions is quite easy to do on the 1.9 Td models so if i were to start again i would just go for one with a blown engine and swap a mk3 1.9Tdi engine and wiring loom. Apart from little modding to the accelerator pedal, pretty much is a bolt on job ! There are a few places that offer the swap for about £1500 then after sky's the limit. A nice AFN engine with forged rods, ported head, big nozzles and a VNT turbo will go well over 180Bhp without breaking a sweat, add a 11mm injector pump and you'll be pushing well over 200 brake ! The 1.9Tdi is very responsive to bolt on mods...

Is the 2.5 tdi in the transporter the same as the audi unit with the cam wear issues?

Nope, it's a 5 cylinder inline engine, basically a 1.9 Tdi with an extra piston added to the block and crank !

Reactions: jojo and kanecullen89
I've got an S2000 and just bought an A4 avant to replace it as I need something more practical and a tow car, but will really miss the S2K, it's been so much fun, been out in it today with the girlfriend, roof down all day, having a great blast around, you will not regret buying it.

If you're after a cheap one to mod drop me a PM, i'm not far from you and mine is now for sale :)

Reactions: jojo