"Baby on Board" sign question

ElliotB

Reaction score
I have recently become a father and the wife insists that we should put a "baby on board sign" in the car. One problem though - the rear windows a tinted to 5%.

BackOfTheCar

Could some recommend something that I could stick on the back of the car?

I personally don't like these "baby on board" signs….
But if the mrs insists then i vote for the 2nd sign listed by liquid.

I personally don't like these "baby on board" signs….
But if the mrs insists then i vote for the 2nd sign listed by liquid.

Got my first on the way soon, and the Mrs is insisting. I appreciate that in the event of an accident that the fire brigade would look for the baby, but what if the baby wasn't in the car? In most cases, a BoB sign usually means the owner of the 3tonne 4x4 isn't paying attention and people should steer clear of 'her'....LOL.

The whole point of the sign is to tell the driver to keep distance and the reason for it

I don't like the signs particularly. Surely the signs don't make that much difference to rescue teams as they will tend to follow standard operating procedures.

What I usually find ironic is the cars wearing these badges are so often oversized MPV's in the outside lane of the motorway doing 80+ nose to tail with a little yellow sticker bouncing about in the back window telling you they have a kiddy on board. To me they stink of 'do as I say, not as I do'. As far as I'm concerned if people follow the rules of the road it should make no odds what the cargo is, just drive responsibly.

Reactions: Iain-A6, dieseldoos, Artimus and 4 others
Completely agree with you Warren, will try and talk the missus out of it. I don't think anybody wants to crash in the first place whether or not there is a baby in the car

You're better of having the sticker as there will always be people who are more considerate than others and will actually keep their distance and be more wary.

Got my first on the way soon, and the Mrs is insisting. I appreciate that in the event of an accident that the fire brigade would look for the baby, but what if the baby wasn't in the car? In most cases, a BoB sign usually means the owner of the 3tonne 4x4 isn't paying attention and people should steer clear of 'her'....LOL.

Congrats! I'm in the same position. Although the Mrs haven't asked for the BoB signs (yet)…..

Reactions: JudderMan
I have on in our car, just on the hope that people keep their distance, but to be honest, people aint bothered at all!!

Reactions: warren_S5
I have on in our car, just on the hope that people keep their distance, but to be honest, people aint bothered at all!!

Agreed.

I think at the end of the day if it makes you feel better then do it, but the majority of people are so wrapped up in their own lives/circumstances it's just another sign to read and more 'noise' within their day.

The kind of people who you would really want to pay attention to it couldn't care less. The only area it might be a saving grace is in situations like a road rage incident where people who have a tendency to get very vocal may be less likely to direct anger towards a car that has children on board???? (or you'd hope so).

Reactions: Nilz
I'm not convinced by them. I think the road rage idiots we don't want on the roads most probably associate them with women and these are the kind of people who love to bully cars if they think a women is driving anyway.
I personally wouldn't put one on and try and talk the other half out of it .

I think they are fantastic. Everytime I see these in peoples back windows I know to give them a wide berth, not because there is a child on board simply as it's a good indication the moron behind the wheel can't flipping drive!

Reactions: TonyH38 and Chriscooke
buy her a car and a sticker best way to go about it

If the logic is that the fire brigade would look for a child in an accident, what's to stop them searching for that same child when it wasn't even in the car on the particular journey?

I feel this type of thing can be distracting (especially if the following driver has to squint\concentrate to read it through tinted glass) & probably causes more low speed, rear end shunts than not having anything. I also don't believe they garner sympathy as much as driving considerably would.
The whole point of the sign is to tell the driver to keep distance and the reason for it
It won't make one iota of difference! if your car is being driven sensibly, you'll get the same amount of room as those without one unless you happen to be in the outside lane doing 50, then you'll get flashed.

Let’s face it they type of person that will be following too close is the type of person that doesn’t care and would ignore it anyway.

All those signs do is create a blind spot behind the car, increasing the odds of you having an accident be it reversing into something/someone or not seeing a following motorcyclist.

The fact that you’ve got tinted glass makes it doubly pointless as nobody will see it clearly.

I know about the tinted glass thus I asked for an external sign that could be stuck somewhere at the back of the car. But I agree with the majority here, it's going to be pointless

If your wife is looking for a peace of mind or confidence then another way to potentially achieve that is to do some advanced driving IAM or ROSPA which is more about defensive driving.

Just a thought.

Why would one pay more attention when is near a car with a BoB sign? Aren't drivers supposed to always pay attention? To everything on the road?

Reactions: TonyH38
This signs are tacky as hell and no one ever takes any notice. People who tailgate tend to be assholes and unfortunately these signs will not effect them.

Here ya go ...View attachment 28970

������

When I see that sign I'm not going to repeat on a public forum the words that my subconscious projects into my mind. Let's just say the person who ****** that up might have created a twattish car ruining sign, but it's a great indicator of who to avoid on the roads (and down the pub)!

Reactions: Artimus, ElliotB and TonyH38
Thanks you very much for your input. Managed to convince my wife that it would make no difference what so ever

Reactions: warren_S5 and Artimus