Monster MotorsportBadger5
    Nick

Status

Flood damage...advice needed!

Hi Guys,

To cut a long story short I went through a flood (or almost got through!) the other day but they car died 3/4 of the way through, water was pretty high and a big 4x4 coming the other way caused a big wave and only made things worse!

Basically pretty sure the engine is knackered, don't think water has come into the cabin although felt a little damp. EML came on and engine wouldn't start. Also when out of the water being sorted for the tow I could hear water 'sloshing' pretty much all the way underneath.

Just started the insurance claim and car has been collected for inspection but my question is does anyone have experience with this sort of thing and are they likely to replace the engine or write it off? I guess it does depend on extent of the damage but I am pretty sure the engine is dead. Car was probably in the water for about 30 minutes, while I was trying to push it out!

Car is an A5 Sportback 3.0Tdi quattro, just over 1 year old and I guess worth about 30k.

Finally, yes, I am a b*llend and will now avoid the smallest of puddles when driving!
    Now - On the hunt for a new Audi!
    Gone - A5 Sportback S-line 3.0TDi quattro s-tronic
    Sadly gone - Ibis White S3 Sportback Black Edition
    Previous:
    '57 - Astra Sri Sport Hatch
    '95 - Celica GT4
    '54 - Astra Coupe Turbo
    '51 - Astra Sxi

2. # ADS
    ADS

4th Gear

Status
    To be honest, theres gonna be hundreds of cars going through similar situations over the next few weeks due to the mass amount of flooding in particular areas of the country. It could be something as simple as an electrical failure btw, might not have a hydrolocked engine. I'm sure there are many processes and repair procedures to help overcome such issues. On a 30k car I would have thought they'd attempt to repair it.
    2006 Audi A3 2.0 TDI S-Line 8P2 PD170 - Dolphin Grey Metallic - The problem child
    1994 VW Golf VR6 - Mystic Blue - The money thief
    VCDS User

YSN
    Neutral

Status
    I would assume the mechanics of the car will still remain fine/useable. However I think the water would have damaged electrical components which can be replaced.

2nd Gear

Status
    I have a friend who recently left his mondeo 59 plate in a car park while he went on holiday. When he got back he noticed that the carpets were all wet. After a bit of questioning, the car park owners disclosed that the car park had flooded along with all the cars while my friend was on holiday.
    The car still ran and drove fine.
    He claimed through his insurance and they wrote the car off and got it crushed immediately.
    Apparently that is the procedure for river flood damaged vehicles due to contamination and health risks.
    I'm not sure if that same applies for a 30k audi but he was gutted

3rd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Visit Andy1608's Youtube Channel
    I think it all depends on the actual damage caused. It's hard to know what they will do until it's inspected cause you can only guess on the damage for now. Keep us updated and let us know the out come though.
    Sorry but I couldn't help but chuckle at your self description for driving through it in the first place.
    Good luck with the car though.

Nick

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidhu88 View Post
    To be honest, theres gonna be hundreds of cars going through similar situations over the next few weeks due to the mass amount of flooding in particular areas of the country. It could be something as simple as an electrical failure btw, might not have a hydrolocked engine. I'm sure there are many processes and repair procedures to help overcome such issues. On a 30k car I would have thought they'd attempt to repair it.
    Quote Originally Posted by YSN View Post
    I would assume the mechanics of the car will still remain fine/useable. However I think the water would have damaged electrical components which can be replaced.
    Quote Originally Posted by kanecullen89 View Post
    I have a friend who recently left his mondeo 59 plate in a car park while he went on holiday. When he got back he noticed that the carpets were all wet. After a bit of questioning, the car park owners disclosed that the car park had flooded along with all the cars while my friend was on holiday.
    The car still ran and drove fine.
    He claimed through his insurance and they wrote the car off and got it crushed immediately.
    Apparently that is the procedure for river flood damaged vehicles due to contamination and health risks.
    I'm not sure if that same applies for a 30k audi but he was gutted
    Thanks for the replies, Yeah I bet there is going to be millions of £'s worth of claims going around right now and not just for vehicles. At least a car can be repaired/replaced fairly easily but a house and contents not so easy!

I am fairly certain at least the engine will need replacing, not sure on any electrical parts, all electrics were working at the time, but I guess depends where the water has worked its way to since etc.

Will see what happens.
    Previous:
    '95 - Celica GT4
    '54 - Astra Coupe Turbo
    '51 - Astra Sxi

Nick

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy1608 View Post
    I think it all depends on the actual damage caused. It's hard to know what they will do until it's inspected cause you can only guess on the damage for now. Keep us updated and let us know the out come though.
    Sorry but I couldn't help but chuckle at your self description for driving through it in the first place.
    Good luck with the car though.
    Thanks Andy,

I believe Audi are taking a look at it first and then the inspector will give me feedback and go and check it.

My insurance only gives me a courtesy car for 48 hours, so I haven't asked for it yet but the business manager at my local Audi has been great and got me a car for a week, so picking it up tomorrow. Will be interesting to see what it is like as its a new A3 Saloon and that is kind of what I wanted (albeit the S3 Saloon) but I didn't think they were releasing it in the UK so ordered the A5!

Will hopefully know in a couple of days so will keep you posted.

Lol, no worries, if you cant laugh/take the p*ss at yourself then who can you laugh at!

Cheers,
    Nick
    Previous:
    '95 - Celica GT4
    '54 - Astra Coupe Turbo
    '51 - Astra Sxi

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Good luck; hope it works out ok.
    A4 3.0TDi SE Quattro Auto. Factory-fit: RNS-E/bluetooth; F/R parking sensors; full leather/heated front seats; cruise. Retrofit: Remap; Eibach 30mm lowering springs, RS4 RARB; MTEC drilled/grooved discs; 18" RS4 alloys; VW fan washers; Kinetic Digitizor DAB; Blackvue DR380 camera; front armrest; ambient lighting; white LED lights; autodim mirror; Cupra splitter; S-Line door blades; tints; UK pressed plates; MFSW; SDS; TPMS; LED Taillights and DRLs. RS aluminium pedals

Defo worth the wait :)

Status
    Keep us posted on this, it would be interested to hear the outcome for it.

Hopefully it all works in your favour.

Nick

Status
    Cheers,

In all honesty (as long as insurance pays out the required value) I was sort of hoping it would be written off! Sounds bad, but even though the A5 is a great car I kind of rushed into it thinking I need something bigger/more economical etc with a 2nd child on the way and even though it is quick it doesn't really match the S3 I had before. Therefore, something like the S3 saloon I think would be ideal and cheaper!
    Either way though as long as it gets sorted the sooner I am back in an Audi the better as I can see once the car my dealer is lending me goes back next week I will have to go somewhere like enterprise and rent an Astra or something while I am waiting!
    Previous:
    '95 - Celica GT4
    '54 - Astra Coupe Turbo
    '51 - Astra Sxi

3rd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Visit Andy1608's Youtube Channel
    Did you have GAP insurance nick?

2nd Gear

Status
    my Mrs did a similar thing in my old car. The only reason they paid out was becuase a 4x4 going the other way caused water to splash into the intake and blew the engine. Are you 100% sure they will pay out?

Hope it works out for you, diesels and water do not mix well......

Nick

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy1608 View Post
    Did you have GAP insurance nick?
    No mate, didn't even know what it was until I read about the other day! Basically it is a business lease and I have had business leases for 13 years and only claims I have made are for windscreens so I guess have been pretty lucky!

Will definitely look at GAP next time though!
    Previous:
    '95 - Celica GT4
    '54 - Astra Coupe Turbo
    '51 - Astra Sxi

Nick

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by madmike01uk View Post
    my Mrs did a similar thing in my old car. The only reason they paid out was becuase a 4x4 going the other way caused water to splash into the intake and blew the engine. Are you 100% sure they will pay out?

Hope it works out for you, diesels and water do not mix well......
    Thanks Mike,

Similar thing with me as although I got stuck first the Landie coming the other way made things worse!

I am hoping they will pay out. From what the RSA inspector said yesterday he may not be able to get over to the car for a couple of days
    but Audi will be taking a look first and if they say it needs a new engine they are authorised to order one to not hold anything up.
    I must admit RSA have been very good so far, only cost me £25 to insure the car that Audi are giving me for a week and have phoned me back when they said they will. As long as they pay out to repair or write off that is all I want.

I am tempted to phone the dealer and see if they have been able to look at it yet and get their opinion.

Watch this space.
    Previous:
    '95 - Celica GT4
    '54 - Astra Coupe Turbo
    '51 - Astra Sxi

Nick

Status
    UPDATE: Initial reaction from the Audi garage is that it is a write off as there was water the cabin etc. and they class it as a biohazard! The insurance engineer is going in to look at it next week and will confirm but he said it doesn't sound good!
    Previous:
    '95 - Celica GT4
    '54 - Astra Coupe Turbo
    '51 - Astra Sxi

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by NICK-C View Post
    UPDATE: Initial reaction from the Audi garage is that it is a write off as there was water the cabin etc. and they class it as a biohazard! The insurance engineer is going in to look at it next week and will confirm but he said it doesn't sound good!
    Same as my friends cars as I mentioned earlier in this post. His car wasn't even damaged. Just water on carpets in cabin.
    They classed it as contaminated and crushed it because it cannot be stripped or sold on

6th Gear

Status
    My ex, tried to drive through a ford the other year in her new Golf. Managed to get water into the engine and killed it. Insurers replaced the engine at VW and she's been in it since. Not even a sniff of them suggesting it was to be written off

Life begins at 140mph
    Sell my Audi??? Kiss my rings!
    www.passionford.com

Nick

Status
    Had a call on Friday and car is written off due to water in the cabin and therefore H&S reasons they wont repair it. I was told it would likely be back on the road in a few months though as it would be sold to a salvage company!
    Looks like insurers are paying out so waiting to hear on final figures but it should either be in full or may have to pay the VAT so hopefully will all be OK. Need to sort another car out but waiting to make sure Audi finance get paid what they want before I commit.
    Previous:
    '95 - Celica GT4
    '54 - Astra Coupe Turbo
    '51 - Astra Sxi

Nick

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Oranoco View Post
    My ex, tried to drive through a ford the other year in her new Golf. Managed to get water into the engine and killed it. Insurers replaced the engine at VW and she's been in it since. Not even a sniff of them suggesting it was to be written off
    I guess if water didn't get into the cabin that is why they changed the engine, they told me if it was just the engine it would have been replaced.
    Previous:
    '95 - Celica GT4
    '54 - Astra Coupe Turbo
    '51 - Astra Sxi