I need a generic map, not a custom map...

S4_dan

Fire up the Quattro!
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Is what I told told by a garage during a remap enquiry.

I emailed them asking if they had a Rolling Road as I'd prefer before and after figures to back up the 'expected' output.
I mentioned that the car has a modified air intake and cats gutted out (Not at this moment but would be carried out prior to any mapping being done)

The reply was; (I have deleted the map designer as I have no qualms about their level of work/technology/input and are well known in the mapping business, this is more down to the 'dealers' theory of NOT needing a custom map or RR)

Hi Dan,

We don't have a dyno I'm afraid.

To carry out a ****** *&*&*&*&*&* stage 1 remap on your car would be £249 inc vat. If you take a look at the link it gives you the figures. Your car would not need a custom map as it only has the cats removed, all ***** remaps are developed on their dyno for optimum results. We would need your car for around 4 hours to complete this work. It could be done this week if you wanted.

If you want any more information or would like to make a booking just let me know.

Thanks

I would prefer a custom tune as all cars don't run the same. Am I wrong in thinking I can't have a custom map just because I don't have a bigger turbo/injectors/Cams etc fitted?!

Cheers.

Dan

He is technically right, a cat delete and air intake wont do jack to the way the engine works either mapped or not, it will however rev a little faster which means it will hit the max torque/ Bhp lower up the rev range. I wish you can bring it up to me for a tune, best way to do it is by tweaking the existing map and modifying boost values and fueling maps then calculating check-sums so the car starts and runs as it should !
Cams are not necessary on the v6 tdi engine, larger nozzles, bigger turbo and map sensor is needed in order to make more power ! Modifying is a cat and mouse game, set your goal from the start and work to achieve it as soon as possible- power is addictive and you're soon getting used to it !
Just for your info, a mildly modded v6 tdi in healthy state will do 250-300 Bhp with just a few bolt on mods and a good map: nozzles, clutch and turbo. The recipe is simple, however making them work seamless is a little tricky as there are sneaky boost limiters in the tune and the whole maps need re-calculating as you will need a larger 3-4 Bar MAP sensor in order to see the increased boost. Also a EGT/Boost gauge is beneficial, whilst not entirely necessary it might keep your engine/turbo in one piece when things go pear shaped !

I can't afford to go hybrid or bigger nozzles etc as we're are looking to buy a house within the next year to 18months. But I would like a Stage 1 map. Not only for better power but to help when towing the caravan and mpg.

I've had a remapped S4 dyno'd to 330bhp and that was awesome, but that's an S4 not an A4.

Out of interest how much would I be looking at for 'a mildly modded v6 tdi in healthy state will do 250-300 Bhp'?
How much for you to tune it to stage 1 Chris? I'd have to book a night or two with the wife if I came to London. lol

Cheers,

Dan

I can't afford to go hybrid or bigger nozzles etc as we're are looking to buy a house within the next year to 18months. But I would like a Stage 1 map. Not only for better power but to help when towing the caravan and mpg.

I've had a remapped S4 dyno'd to 330bhp and that was awesome, but that's an S4 not an A4.

Out of interest how much would I be looking at for 'a mildly modded v6 tdi in healthy state will do 250-300 Bhp'?
How much for you to tune it to stage 1 Chris? I'd have to book a night or two with the wife if I came to London. lol

Cheers,

Dan
Let's put it this way, my diesel will keep up with my b6 s4 mapped to 370-380 Bhp all day long ! As a daily driver i prefer the kick in the back from the turbo as opposed to the smooth, linear power delivery of the v8 lump, also like the 35 Mpg the derv returns ! Driven the same the s4 delivers 10 Mpg at most, however the noise makes up for it ! With a factory sports car you get the whole package: handling, power,brakes, noise and kit, with a car you tune you need to constantly improve things in order to cope with the extra power.
A stage 1 as you put it should deliver 200 Bhp max on stock hardware, add a few more Bhp if you use larger nozzles from 180Bhp AKE engine or late BAU engine- DSLA 1025...

Dan, a stage1 map will work on your car, a custom map will probably liberate a bit more torque/bhp. I'd personally go for a custom map these days, but there's still a market for generic maps for people who are just not clued up on the subject.

generic map will work fine if from a reputable tuner.
a custom might get a little bit more power, but will cost extra.

induction and exhaust mods, will help make power through out the rev range but mostly at the top end of the rev range.

Dan, a stage1 map will work on your car, a custom map will probably liberate a bit more torque/bhp. I'd personally go for a custom map these days, but there's still a market for generic maps for people who are just not clued up on the subject.

I have yet to see "custom" maps that remove the SVBL (single value boost limiter) and does not modify the driver's wish in order to "feel" faster ! There's more to custom mapping than the word implies, to me the only "custom" maps are the one which cater for modified parts: turbo, MAP sensor, big nozzles, etc. to which none of the stock/factory values apply !

I already have the AKE lump, would it have the larger nozzles already as you say?

Only way to tell is by taking one injector off, take it apart and look at the markings on the nozzle, to my knowledge the AKE fitted to the a4 used a smaller nozzle with less flow but higher injector pressure from the pump so they flow the same amount of fuel but in a longer time frame ! To my knowledge, only early AKE as fitted to the 2001 models ever came with the larger DSLA 1025 nozzles, you can recognize them by looking at the intercoolers- they have full aluminium intercoolers, every other model has plastic ended ones after that...