Winter tyre choices

tom2

Reaction score
Just wondered what people's opinions are on the different winter tyre brands in this now over saturated market.

Personally I always go for nokian winter tyres, purely for their massive reputation in Europe, where I spend a lot of time driving my car (A4 quattro)

Looking for something (cheaper than nokians) to put on the mrs' merc SL55 this winter, as I'm fed up of eating my clutch towing her off the drive every time it's a little frosty outside.

Not worth putting anything too expensive on it as they will be battered and torn to pieces within a week, just want something that'll do the job, it's already got 4 bags of sand in the boot.

I bought a set of Vredestein Wintrac Extremes online last month and I'm more than happy with them so far (mild winter to be fair).

225/40/R18 £500 for 4 online.

Always use Michelin Alpin, don't know if they will be any cheaper than the nokian

Always use Michelin Alpin, don't know if they will be any cheaper than the nokian

I have been using Michelin Alpin A3 and A4 and Pilots for the last five or so years, they do the job in cold, wet, ice, slush and snow and seem to last for a lot longer than I expected. I think that more people should consider winter tyres as summer tyres, well at least the premium brands, have become so optimised for summer use and that can make them not at all suitable for use in winter - in the distant past that was not the case.