What is my car worth?

ScottD3

I want your faulty electronics
Supporter
Reaction score
Website
wheelsnwires.blogspot.com
Driving in to work this morning thinking about car prices and wondering how best can you price up a modified car. I know the saying that a car is only worth what people are willing to pay but I don't think that fully works. Cause everyone is willing to pay £10 for a car but only a select few are willing to paying the value of a car but how do you put a value on a car that's not standard? You can't give it a standard car value cause in most cases its far from it. I find the proper 'What is my car worth?' threads interesting to see how people put a value on their car but they tend to get locked down way really quickly. People always say check eBay, auto-trader and other such outlets but they are normally standard cars or horribly modified version.I'm not sure how looking at the above sites would help people price their motors. For example, Tuffty's S3 8L, Westy's S3 8L, petesautosolutions B7 RS4 conversion (interesting read http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/audi-s4-a4-a4-cab-b7-chassis/204985-b7-avant-project-rs4-replica.html), Ash's 8P, Byzan's B5 and many other amazing builds on this site. Surly those cars are worth more than what you'll find on auto-trader and eBay cause of the time and effort that's gone to them, extras added, modifications to make it better?So you can't give them a normal standard car price cause it could be worth next to nothing when compared to what in its or what's been done. So how are you meant to price up your car?

They are an opinion on value not a cast iron figure,as said a billion times before they are only worth what someone will pay and auto trader/ebay/PH are for a base for a figure,a heavily modified car will not get all the money back unless your very lucky and in most cases people want a standard car.
Most threads put up are thinly veiled adverts thats why they are locked.

Best to modify a car you don't plan to change because as said it's rare people will want to pay for the modifications, if they do you won't get the price you paid for them back regardless. Often see modified cars well out of what the price range people are willing to pay, which is fine but chances are people come and slash the price in half.

So I'm new to modding but if I want to mod my car il always bear in mind 'will I be able to remove it and put the stock part back on?' . As said most people want a standard car and your extra mod parts would be better in a box in the garage or sold seperately. - nobody's going to pay even half of what your mod cost you in most cases.

best to return it back to standard and sell the mods individually- you will get most of your money back, it does involve some sweat and labour though !

Still agree with what they are worth. Any cars I have ever modified I always seen a small difference in price back. If you modify your car, do it for what you like, not to make a profit. I'd rather buy a standard top spec car now than a lower spec one and spend money modifying it.

Must be getting old....

Still agree with what they are worth. Any cars I have ever modified I always seen a small difference in price back. If you modify your car, do it for what you like, not to make a profit. I'd rather buy a standard top spec car now than a lower spec one and spend money modifying it.

Must be getting old....
Have a look in the 8L A3/S3 section,people look to buy standard cars,not sure whether they believe its been ragged or they want a blank canvas to work on,
I would prefer someone else to do the mods and pay a bit more,I did with my current one.

Personally, I'd expect to pay LESS than the going rate for a modded car

The problem with buying a heavily modified car boils down to replacing parts as they wear out. It's not like you can walk into a main dealer for replacement parts or even expect an Indy to fully diagnose an engine fault on a car with a non-standard turbo for example! so it's a lot more hassle to maintain a modded car because parts are usually rarer & properly setting it up becomes more time consuming & expensive.

I'd rather the seller remove his extraneous parts and sell it as close to standard as possible, if I was into that sort of thing I would rather have it done with my own choice of components ...but that just me.

At the moment I'm selling a car that has been lowered only slightly (its not an Audi) and it seems to be a sticking point or are the timewasters/dreamers just using it as a get out clause. Selling cars unless they are cheap as chips aint easy !

I wouldn't buy a modified car, i like a blank canvas to work with and just don't trust others when it comes to things like that. Plus i would only mod with easily removable mods to sell on when i come to change the car, as others have said its the best way to get your money back & get a decent px or sale value :)

mine is worth a shed load to me, but probably 3k tops to sell. I'd expect it to sell for what a top priced car of the same model would be

Also would not touch a modified car, unless it was heavily discounted. As stated above when you change manufactures spec it can become a sod to work on as you have to remember what was done and where to get replacements parts, which are normally on a long lead time. Not good if it's your daily driver.

I have modified cars in the past but always put them back to standard before I sell, you just don't get the interest in modified cars.